PDA

View Full Version : New rubbers for the cage

High_Revs_17
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Just had these bad boys slapped on the fun four wheeler today. They're inexpensive and sport an agressive tread pattern for nasty weather all year.

I've been looking around at different tires, but the reason why I got these was cuz a buddy of mine was sick of changing out his summer tires for winter ones every year on his Subaru WRX STI and he wanted something that would perform well on the dry as well as the wet and snowy, so he slapped these on and had zero complaints with them.

And believe me after pushing those suckers at 120+ as I sat shotgun in the sweepers they stick pretty damn good for what they are, so that being said I was sold.

They felt pretty good today but I'm sure after the tread wears down slightly more they'll feel even better on the dry once I push it a bit.

SITE (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact&partnum=055VR6CEC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=13)

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/conti/co_contiextremecontact_ci2_l.jpg

The Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 were OEM till I changed them out today. They were great in the rain, horrible in the snow, and not too bad in the dry. Actually they handled their best at the point when they were down to the treadwear indicators...and the hydroplaning was fun too cuz of it.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/michelin/mi_pilot_hx_mxm4.jpg

jcblitz
08-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I just picked up a set of Federal SS595 for my wifes car. They're pretty badass and from what the guy mounting them told me they're a great all weather tire as well. If I didn't drive a chick car I would get a set too, it's embarrassing when your wifes car is faster.

http://www.frsport.com/images/detailed_images/FederalTire_SS595_1116408717545628f87976d3.jpg

High_Revs_17
08-13-2007, 09:03 PM
I just picked up a set of Federal SS595 for my wifes car.

They do look great but they won't get me to the office in the morning every wintery day up and down huge snow covered mountains?! :lol:

Rev
08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
tires have a lot to do with the performance with a car...lots of people don't know any better though....michelin's are great..

Cakes206
08-14-2007, 09:02 AM
tires have a lot to do with the performance with a car...lots of people don't know any better though....michelin's are great..
I find the round ones works best.

Rev
08-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I find the round ones works best.

I like mine oval shapped with a gapping hole!

Cakes206
08-14-2007, 09:07 AM
I like mine oval shapped with a gapping hole!
Thats what she said.

Rev
08-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Thats what she said.

Ouch!!! *clinches ass cheeks*

njracer
08-14-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm sportin these on my Tahoe (Bridgestone dueller revo at)and I'm VERY happy with them. They are not loud, work great in the dry and kick ass in snow/rain/dirt/mud.

They are only about $120/tire for a 17in.

Oh yeah, I have about 30,000mi on my tires and they still look brand new.

njracer

Retom7
08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
My favorite brand is Cooper. Right now I have some crappy all-season tires on my car, but since I really don't care, I'm not changing them until they're dead... of course, with torque steer on the saab, that won't take long for the fronts on there now. Cooper's always perform well for me and they are relatively cheap. I had Cooper Zeon's before. The ones I had were cheap because they were H-rated... but I have and had no intentions of going above the 130mph mark in my car. I have no need for ZZZzzzZZZZZZZZZZZeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cakes206
08-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Running Good Year Fortera tires on the TrailBlazer. 60K mile warranty got approx 35K on them now(rotating is key,) nice grip and very quiet.

http://www.goodyear.ca/goodyeartireselectorca/graphics/Tires/full/109060.jpg

CBRBob
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
My favorite brand is Cooper. Right now I have some crappy all-season tires on my car, but since I really don't care, I'm not changing them until they're dead... of course, with torque steer on the saab, that won't take long for the fronts on there now. Cooper's always perform well for me and they are relatively cheap. I had Cooper Zeon's before. The ones I had were cheap because they were H-rated... but I have and had no intentions of going above the 130mph mark in my car. I have no need for ZZZzzzZZZZZZZZZZZeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

That speed rating means so much more than that it can sustain high speeds.......

High_Revs_17
08-17-2007, 06:03 PM
UPDATE: Of course these things stuck incredibly well in the wet today, however they're still a bit loose on the dry with some understeer during heavy cornering. I haven't had a chance to put enough miles on them yet but they're feeling a bit better on the dry every day.

Cakes206
08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Look into doing some track days with your car...might not be a bad idea.

High_Revs_17
08-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Look into doing some track days with your car...might not be a bad idea.

Oh I did a nice little jaunt thru High Point today, as well as the other surrounding areas, that was enough satisfaction for now, but a few track days at Pocono would break them in nicely.

High_Revs_17
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Update: I had a chance to scrub them in nicely last weekend whilst hitting up all my favorite twisty bike routes, and I've gotta say the change in their handling is like night and day after they're broken in. :arrr: