PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding the brakes help needed

extreme78
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Im about to change my front brake lines/racing fluid/pads. Im going to Calabogie next weekend so I cant mess it up and I never bleed the motorcycle brakes before. Any tips would be helpfull at this point. I will get all the parts on tuesday and have one evening to to it.
THANKS in advance for the help :cheers:
Paul

ImmaSquashYou
08-12-2007, 11:05 PM
i had speed bleeders n it didn't do the trick. I would suggest buying the actual tool that does it. It sucks it out instead of pumping ur brakes. I've spent a lot of money on fluid and still didn't get it done. Got to a point where if i took it to a shop n did it, it would of cost less. So i cut my losses n took it to honda n paid like $30 to bleed them. hope that helped

tommymac
08-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Paul I have a mittyvac, let me know what your schedule is this week I will see if I am free I can help you out with it.

Tom

FDNYDANO18
08-13-2007, 02:17 AM
;) Mityvac...the right tool makes all the diference. Well worth the investment.

tommymac
08-13-2007, 06:37 AM

Very true, although an extra set of capable hands makes the job much easier too.

Tom

CBRBob
08-13-2007, 07:16 AM

http://cache.jalopnik.com/cars/assets/resources/2007/02/Austin-Powers-Pump.jpg

SPL170db
08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I've tried the Mityvac on both streetbike and MX bikes and I don't like it. All it really ends up doing it wasting more fluid that you have to on a system as small as those on a bike (relatively small fluid capacity).

I replaced both front and rear lines on my bike (and pads) and flushed with fresh fluid by hand in a little less than 2 hours time. Rock hard lever and the bleeding process was relatively easy. Start bleeding at the calipers and work up to the master cylinder. It's a little tricky cracking the bleeder on the far side caliper while holding pressure on the lever, but it's not impossible. I honestly don't see why people think it's that hard of a job.

nyskg
08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
use mityvac just to get the fluid in the system then do it manual way at the end!

Cakes206
08-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Hey Paul...like we talked about at pocoNO, ss lines like goodridge or whatever, rbf600 fluid, and vesrah rjl pads...all that together will make for some nice stopping power.

carl_g
08-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I've tried the Mityvac on both streetbike and MX bikes and I don't like it. All it really ends up doing it wasting more fluid that you have to on a system as small as those on a bike (relatively small fluid capacity).

I replaced both front and rear lines on my bike (and pads) and flushed with fresh fluid by hand in a little less than 2 hours time. Rock hard lever and the bleeding process was relatively easy. Start bleeding at the calipers and work up to the master cylinder. It's a little tricky cracking the bleeder on the far side caliper while holding pressure on the lever, but it's not impossible. I honestly don't see why people think it's that hard of a job.

+1 I back bleed from the calipers as well!

extreme78
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
THANKS guys. Im soooo busy at work this week that I dont think I will have time to change my brake lines. Looks like I will just install the new versah pads and change my lines and fluid when I come back.

Cakes thanks for tips on the parts:cheers:

Tommie I will get back to you next week aftre Calabogie:ride: