PDA

View Full Version : DuHamel Has Severe Internal Injuries

Cakes206
08-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Crazy stuff...hope he has a speedy recovery.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/07080817u.htm

DuHamel Has Severe Internal Injuries
by dean adams
Wednesday, August 08, 2007

After his CT scans and x-rays came back and were examined by medical professionals it was learned that Miguel DuHamel has suffered a lacerated liver, a perforated lung and a bruised lung in his Road Atlanta crash today.

Clearly the lacerated liver is the most troubling of the three injuries although neither of them are to be taken lightly. A lacerated liver can be fatal if untreated. Also, this injury can take an extended amount of time to fully heal. Moreover, in many cases doctors will not allow someone with this condition to do any activity where further trauma is possible.

Persons at the scene of the crash said that DuHamel experienced some sort of trouble near the top of the turn 12 hill and soon after the bike went completely sideways and impacted the turn 12 wall, which had tires, straw bales and airfence in front of it.

DuHamel's Honda CBR1000RR was destroyed in the crash.

Thermometers were cranking all the way to 106 degrees at the track today.

More updates when info breaks.

NYCSTRIPES
08-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Damn. Sounds like a very serious crash, hope he makes a full recovery.
Ken

EvilSteve
08-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Bad news. :(

John712
08-09-2007, 12:26 AM
damn, thats not good. hope he pulls out of it.

carl_g
08-09-2007, 06:39 AM
That sux! I hope he recovers quickly

carl_g
08-09-2007, 01:14 PM
That sux! I hope he recovers quickly
UPDATE!

DuHamel Stable In Georgia Hospital
by dean adams
Thursday, August 09, 2007

According to his manager, former racer Alan LaBrosse, Miguel DuHamel is in stable condition today and will probably spend the rest of the week in the hospital. DuHamel was injured in a nasty turn tweleve crash at Road Atlanta yesterday.

DuHamel, who is in third place in the Superbike championship, will probably miss the VIR round of the championship.

Redlinerider
08-09-2007, 01:35 PM
i wonder if high revs in driving down to the hospital to see him......;)

on a serious note, hope gets well soon.......

Mack
08-09-2007, 02:28 PM
that suxs...hope he heals up soon

SAXON117
08-09-2007, 02:41 PM
damn shame, so he's not off for the rest of the season?

Barbi
08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
they're just being optimistic.. I bet he's out...

Cakes206
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Mladin Says Duhamel’s Crash During Test At Road Atlanta Highlights Need To Improve Run-off Room Before Repaving Tracks
Aug 09, 2007

The 2.5-mile, 12-turn road course at Road Atlanta was recently repaved and is much smoother, has more grip and, as a result, is much faster, according to riders and lap times recorded during a two-day AMA team test at the Braselton, Georgia track August 7-8.

But the increased speeds and a scary crash by Miguel Duhamel into a trackside wall only highlight the fact that more run-off room was needed before improvements were made to the racing surface, according to six-time AMA Superbike Champion Mat Mladin.

“I didn’t see [Duhamel’s crash], but I saw the marks afterward,” Mladin told Roadracingworld.com Thursday. “I’m not sure how it happened, but that certainly highlights the problem that we have at some of these racetracks, especially that last corner at Atlanta, which is the most dangerous corner in American road racing.”

Mladin was, unofficially, the fastest rider at the recent test with a 1:20.8 on his Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000. Mladin's time was well under Ben Spies’ lap record (1:21.987) and nearly two seconds faster than Mladin’s best lap from the 2006 races (1:22.699), both of which Mladin won.

“The first thing everyone asked after I went on the racetrack was, ‘How’s the surface?’” reported Mladin. “My answer was, ‘I don’t really care about the surface. I would’ve been happy with the old surface if they would’ve spent the money moving the walls.’ And I’ve said that about Mid-Ohio. Everyone used to complain about the surface. Yeah, the surface wasn’t good, but I would have preferred to spend the money moving walls rather than changing the surface.

“The [Road Atlanta] racetrack is a great layout. It’s a beautiful racetrack. [But] the average speed of that racetrack is getting higher and higher and higher, and the racetrack is just getting more dangerous every year we go back there. As we just seen.

“From what I understand, Miguel has a lacerated liver, broken ribs which punctured a lung. If that’s not a typical injury you get from coming to a sudden stop from 120 mph then I don’t know what is. He’s a very, very lucky boy.”

During the repaving process, Road Atlanta did push back walls in its S-turns, but Mladin said that change would have been at the bottom of his list.

“They moved the wall back slightly on inside of Turn Five,” said Mladin, “but if there were six or seven changes that needed to be made that was the last one. It is disappointing.”

Road Atlanta, speaking through AMA Racing Road Race Series Director Keith Kizer last September, stated a change -- specifically for motorcycles -- to Turn 12 was in the works but due to its cost and complexity would have to wait until at least 2008.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=29870

Kennedy
08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Exactly what was being discussed about summit being repaved.....imagine if pocono was completely repaved :ohmygod:

tommymac
08-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Exactly what was being discussed about summit being repaved.....imagine if pocono was completely repaved :ohmygod:

That wold be nice FUSA was a fookin mess from the nascar race on sunday (damn rednecks)

Liver lacs are no joke, he prolly had a minor one if they didnt go in to repair it. For the lung injuries he will have a chest tube in for a while but those heal up well esp with people in great physical condition as he is.

Tom

FigNewTon
08-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Some pretty severe injuries. Speedy recovery Miguel.

Cakes that is exactly what C.R. was saying about RA. That he felt it was the most dangerous place they raced at due to the walls and lack of run off. Maybe this will open some eyes and get those walls pushed back.

Ant
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Yo cakes...I would take down that text. John Ulrich is cracking down on that shit.

lizardkidd
08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
hey if mladin is talking it up for another racer what does that say. 2008 for them to fix it? maybe they should boycott. go miguel

EvilSteve
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2007/Aug/070822-17.htm

DuHamel To Undergo Surgery
by dean adams
Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Injured American Honda roadracer Miguel DuHamel flew from Montreal to San Jose today and he will soon undergo surgery.

DuHamel was injured in a massive testing crash at Road Atlanta on August eighth. DuHamel suffered internal injuries, broken ribs and a broken ankle in the fall in Atlanta's turn twelve.

After consulting with a doctor in Montreal DuHamel was advised to now have his broken ankle fixed surgically. Dr. Art Ting, who fixed Nick Hayden's injuries last year, will perform the operation.

"I don't think it's that major," DuHamel said of the break. "It's just that they see what might be some bone chips in there and they want to get it cleaned out, get it right so when I do return to racing that the break has healed right. I don't want the Rubik's Cube of ankles.

DuHamel said that he is feeling better every day. "But I still get tired quickly, so I think my body is doing everything it can to heal up. I had just gotten rid of all of the shooting pains a few days ago and it was just a dull ache, but now I'll probably be back to shooting pain after this surgery for a few days. It's not like this is something new for me, I've been in pain before."

The former Superbike champion again thanked his fans and Honda for their support. "People have been great and I really appreciate it. Honda, all my fans--thanks. Dr. Ting's people met me at the airport today and that was very nice."