PDA

View Full Version : ticking sound

ronin_01r1
07-25-2007, 10:22 AM
has anyone ever heard a ticking sound coming from the engine? it sounds like a piece of loose plastic that is vibrating against something. i have this sort of sound coming form my bike when i am going about 30-40 mph. anything under it doesn't make the noise. as i go faster, the ticking sound gets faster. when i get to about 60-70mph, i still hear it but it's faint. plus the wind noise + engine noise + exhaust all sort of overpower the high frequency ticking noise.

i hear this same noise whether i have the street plastics on, track plastics, or no plastics as at. i've ridden the bike with jsut the headlight and no plastics and i still hear the noise. it doesn't make the noise when it's idling so i haven't been able to locate the source of this noise.

besides this mildly annoying noise, the bike runs perfectly. does anyone have any ideas what it might be or where i should focus on to get rid of this noise? or things i can do to figure out the source of this noise?

Cakes206
07-25-2007, 10:24 AM
it doesn't make the noise when it's idling so i haven't been able to locate the source of this noise.
How bout if you rev it? Might be the Cam Chain Tensioner(CCT.)

ffejtable
07-25-2007, 11:19 AM
have one of those clear faceshield protectors on your shield? :)

ask chris (pilot) about that one....

Rev
07-25-2007, 12:38 PM
underneath near the head does it say made in Iraq?

CBRBob
07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Could just be the injectors..........

ronin_01r1
07-25-2007, 01:18 PM
How bout if you rev it? Might be the Cam Chain Tensioner(CCT.)

no ticking noise when i rev it with the clutch engaged.

have one of those clear faceshield protectors on your shield? :)

ask chris (pilot) about that one....

nope.

Could just be the injectors..........

is there a way to find out for sure? or should i just leave it alone?

:doh:

Cakes206
07-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Was anything else changed? i.e. go back to a stock exhaust for whatever reason? That'll usually make the bike quieter and you'll start to hear more things happening.

ronin_01r1
07-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Was anything else changed? i.e. go back to a stock exhaust for whatever reason? That'll usually make the bike quieter and you'll start to hear more things happening.

nope. maybe i should put on a D&D to get rid of the noise. :lol: :ohmygod:

ive got all the plastics off the bike now so i'll try putting the bike on the stands and running it to about 40mph or when i hear the noise again.. i was gonna do that last night but it was getting late and i didn't want to upset my neighbors.

Cakes206
07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
ive got all the plastics off the bike now so i'll try putting the bike on the stands and running it to about 40mph or when i hear the noise again.. i was gonna do that last night but it was getting late and i didn't want to upset my neighbors.
Shouldn't run the bike in gear like that while its on stands, no load on the chain causes it to flop around. Careful.

Ant
07-25-2007, 03:10 PM
This is a common problem on R1's. I forget what it actually is but check an R1 forum and do a search for "Ticking". I'm sure you will get loads of info.

Kennedy
07-25-2007, 03:33 PM
Shouldn't run the bike in gear like that while its on stands, no load on the chain causes it to flop around. Careful.

For a short period of time (5 minutes) it is ok but not for hours on ends.

Or if your red lining it I'm talking about idle first gear like lubing up a chain or something.

Cakes206
07-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Or if your red lining it I'm talking about idle first gear like lubing up a chain or something.
You should never have the bike running like that while working on the bike...thats how accidents happen. Bike should be up on a stand, or in your case a file and a lift,lol...spin the wheel manually and lube.

RCM78
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Ant's right. It is a common problem with the carburated R1's. The slides in the carbs rattle.

ronin_01r1
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
This is a common problem on R1's. I forget what it actually is but check an R1 forum and do a search for "Ticking". I'm sure you will get loads of info.

Ant's right. It is a common problem with the carburated R1's. The slides in the carbs rattle.

ok, thanks!

ronin_01r1
07-25-2007, 05:38 PM
:lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/lathefan/afaf10b7.jpg

i searched the r1 forum and its a very common thing with r1 engines. i guess i should worry if it suddenly stops making that noise.

Cakes206
07-25-2007, 06:08 PM
:haha:
http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000FS9MVK.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64439388_.jpg