PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance question

SilverDragon
07-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm looking to change jobs in the near future. It seems there's a wait in the transition of Health Insurance coverage. Does anyone know if there is a Health Insurance Company that I can buy for a couple of months until the one for my new job kicks in?

It seems that it takes 90 days before the health coverage will begin. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cakes206
07-19-2007, 08:24 PM
You can look into Cobra something or other.

SilverDragon
07-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Hmmm that's right, I wonder if I can use that with an income! I'll look into that. Thanks Joe.

tommymac
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Hmmm that's right, I wonder if I can use that with an income! I'll look into that. Thanks Joe.

I think yo uhave ot pay for it but its realativeley cheap. I dont know how good the coverage is though.

tom

Mike295
07-19-2007, 09:01 PM
cobra... u have a right to it. use it

ffejtable
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Cobra is simply the right to extend your existing benefits from your previous job, after your left.

If you have a good health plan dont expect it to be cheap, especially if your premium is (was) subsidized by your previous employer. With cobra you are almost always responsible for paying the entire premium. At my last job I was paying about $200/mo for a pretty good plan, and the company was paying another $200.. To continue my coverage using cobra it would have cost me $400ish.. not exactly cheap for many jobless people :)

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html

What does COBRA do?
COBRA provides certain former employees, retirees, spouses, former spouses, and dependent children the right to temporary continuation of health coverage at group rates. This coverage, however, is only available when coverage is lost due to certain specific events. Group health coverage for COBRA participants is usually more expensive than health coverage for active employees, since usually the employer pays a part of the premium for active employees while COBRA participants generally pay the entire premium themselves. It is ordinarily less expensive, though, than individual health coverage.

Marker54
07-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Jeff is right,

My sister has Blue Cross/Blue Shield (a very comprehensive plan,) it costs just over $400/ month.

Years ago when I was between jobs, I didnt feel like spending the cash, so I just flew without a net for a little while. But these policies are not cheap. Send a PM to Weeman, he may be able to give you some insight.

SilverDragon
07-21-2007, 01:00 AM
whew! Thanks guys! I can't do without a net since I have a 4 month old, I guess I'll have to dish out the dough as soon as I find out exactly how much that is.