PDA

View Full Version : getting a bike on a truck bed?

ronin_01r1
08-01-2005, 10:25 PM
how do ppl do it?

Mack
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
buy a ramp....park the truck at the bottom of a hill put the ramp down and slowly walk the bike up....also if you have a wall that you can drive the bike up to....back the truck up to the wall and pull the bike on.....the ramps aren't very long...so if you go on a level surface it's quite a bitch to push it up and you might run into clearance problems.....just my 2 cents from my experince.

~Donna~
08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
how do ppl do it?

Whatever you do don't ride it up the ramp ;)

DougZ
08-02-2005, 08:06 AM

waddyatalkinbout???

I ride up my ramp all the time. I have a strong wide ramp though.

Gear Dog
08-02-2005, 08:08 AM
I went to HD and bought 2 12x2x10. I use the tie down straps for the bike to hold them together. The planks are longer than any of the ramps out there and I just keep them in the shed when not in use. The longer wood also helps with the clearence problem.They do sell ends that secure the wood to the bed as well.

jcblitz
08-02-2005, 08:19 AM

I ride it up my ramps all the time. Just make sure that the truck and ramps are facing down hill so you can use the decline to your advantage.

~Donna~
08-02-2005, 09:45 AM
waddyatalkinbout???

I ride up my ramp all the time. I have a strong wide ramp though.

Waddy I was talkin about was sometimes its difficult to get the bike up walking let alone riding it up.... but some of you have experience doing this ;) Just did not want to see someone have an oh shit moment :)

DougZ
08-02-2005, 10:01 AM
Waddy I was talkin about was sometimes its difficult to get the bike up walking let alone riding it up.... but some of you have experience doing this ;) Just did not want to see someone have an oh shit moment :)

Just playin' with ya Donn's...I wouldn't ride up a skinny ramp, but mine is like 32" wide, so no biggie.

ronin_01r1
08-02-2005, 10:03 AM
sounds like trouble to me. if you ride it up, how do you get it back down? sounds like a 2 man job.

and if you get a long ramp, it's has to fold up so you can get it into the truck when you unload...more hassle.

seems like a trailer is the way to go.

jcblitz
08-02-2005, 10:17 AM
sounds like trouble to me. if you ride it up, how do you get it back down? sounds like a 2 man job.

and if you get a long ramp, it's has to fold up so you can get it into the truck when you unload...more hassle.

Put it in reverse and gun it.

soda7o
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM

OK my 2 cents.
i got two of those 7 foot folding ramps. the onlymistake i made i got th eones that lok like a ladder with the horizontal bars going accros when i should have went for the solid ones..
anyway 1st suggestionabout the his is good but i dont have any hills around me... so i kinda set the ramps up about 2 feet apart and not really ride it up but put it in first and run it up while giving it gas and letting outth eclutch kinda like riding it up but i am on the side of the bike.. that seems ot work for me and my avalanche rear is freaking high. it would be better if youhad to people.. also they sell these motorozid pully devices which you can attach in the bed of your truck that has a remote that willpull your bike and lal you have to do is walk next to it and make sure its straight.
down is actually easy.. just cover the front brake and walk backwords...

so far i have not had any clearance issue swith my truck, my ramps and anyof the bikes.

soda7o
08-02-2005, 10:32 AM
i have two of these.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-5-FT-ARCH-FOLDING-MOTORCYCLE-LOADING-RAMP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQitemZ456390 2946QQrdZ1

search ebay for electric winch there are plenty affordable ones
i have been looking my slef i just dont want ot drill the bed of my truck
if i can figure out a removable mount i would get one...

ronin_01r1
08-02-2005, 12:27 PM
good info!

carl_g
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
this is a good tip I got.. if you can back the truck up so the land behind it is a little more raised it makes things WAAAAAAY easier.

Before this I would use a cooler as a middle step and run with the bike up the ramp.. dont stop LOL!

oskarjr
08-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Song you need to come over and I will show you my ramp. I ride up it all the time and easy to just back it down. I do it by myself.

jcblitz
08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
this is a good tip I got.. if you can back the truck up so the land behind it is a little more raised it makes things WAAAAAAY easier.

Before this I would use a cooler as a middle step and run with the bike up the ramp.. dont stop LOL!

The final outcome of doing that is lessening the angle of incline, which was stated above by having the truck on a decline. It's really just common sense. Here's a quick mock up of 3 different scenario’s. You can clearly see the incline of the ramp is reduced by having the truck face down a hill, which is the same effect you said by having the land behind it raised...which is an odd way of stating it.

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/284/truckramp1ix.jpg

soda7o
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
i usuelaly do it like pic 3 lol

soda7o
08-02-2005, 02:51 PM
which is the same effect you said by having the land behind it raised...which is an odd way of stating it.

http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/284/truckramp1ix.jpg
i think he is polish thats why

carl_g
08-02-2005, 03:19 PM
I am polish but this is what I am taling about.. as you can see it is an easier step up to the tail gait when doing it this way.. the angle of the ramp might be the same as paking the truck downhill but the step is way less.. See if this pic makes any sense :)

soda7o
08-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I am polish but this is what I am taling about.. as you can see it is an easier step up to the tail gait when doing it this way.. the angle of the ramp might be the same as paking the truck downhill but the step is way less.. See if this pic makes any sense :)
i thinktheycall those loading docks....

jcblitz
08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
i thinktheycall those loading docks....

This is also a handy accessory for that setup

http://www.mrmodels.co.nz/New_Uploads_04_04/55056_Cat_Lift_Truck_GC25K.jpg

ronin_01r1
08-02-2005, 06:44 PM
This is also a handy accessory for that setup

http://www.mrmodels.co.nz/New_Uploads_04_04/55056_Cat_Lift_Truck_GC25K.jpg

haha...can i get a transformer version to fit in my glove box? lol.

:lol:

soda7o
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
or just make friends with a few guys his size...

http://www.joedeangelis.com/images/joemm4.jpg

i woudl suggest look for less greasier friends tho..

ronin_01r1
08-02-2005, 08:32 PM
or just make friends with a few guys his size...

http://www.joedeangelis.com/images/joemm4.jpg

i woudl suggest look for less greasier friends tho..

puhahahahahaha..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

CBRBob
08-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Whenever loading or unloading I leave the bike in gear so at any time you can let go of the brake or just hold one bar and the bike will stay in place. You can use the clutch like a brake when unloading as well. Be careful what the bottom of the ramp is on as it may slip under the shifting weight of the bike and you will have a bad day. You can strap the ramp to the vehicle as well to prevent that.