PDA

View Full Version : Tire Choice

JimRBlue
07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Track tires.

Thinking of getting some new shoes for the ride but not sure if I should go with the corsa III's again.

Was thinking about these also..

BT-002 RS..
New Bridgestone Battlax BT-002 Racing Street Tire Is Z-Rated Ultra-high Performance Radial Designed for Street, Track
Bridgestone Firestone North American Tires is pleased to introduce the new Bridgestone Battlax BT-002 Racing Street, an aggressive Z-speed rated sport tire that performs equally well for aggressive sport riding or track-days. On or off the track, the BT-002 RS demonstrates a balance of stability, cornering, handling, grip, anti-shimmy and shock absorption needed to perform at maximum potential.

Corsa III's..
I have used and liked very much for the track but the life / mileage may not be as good.

Also do both of these tires perform equally in hot conditions? Any input would be appreciated. At this point I am pretty open to suggestions. I do know that I don't want to run the stock dunlops that came with the bike as they have a few miles on them already ( a little over 2K)

Also for the PP's..
hear alot about them as well.. I have just never ridden on them. I scabbed this from another forum and I think Kaz is the only one that has had them. I'm also curios about the temperature.. I have a feeling august is going to be warmer than my first track days were back in april.. Thinking they may get greasy if its that much warmer. I will say that Even though I am not the fastest rider out there, I was able to heat up the Corsa III's at VIR and they were quite sticky and I felt rather confident with them.

Today on the way home from work the corsa III's (I took the commuter bike FZ1) were also really soft and a little balled up from the commute home..

""""Much like the new Michelin's 2CT's, Bridgestone has come out with their version which is called the BT-002 RS. Although, the rear does not have the harder middle section like the 2CT's. The front does have a dual compound with high grip soft compound on the shoulders. It looks like a good deal of MotoGP tire technology from Bridgestone is showing up in these tires. Now, keep in mind these tires are not D.O.T. race tires, but rather a Hyper-Sport street tire for high performance street riding and of course they can be used on the track too with good results. These tires are more pointed and not rounded.

Well, I got them spooled on the '06 R6 {180 rear} a few weeks ago and got the chance to put them to the test at JenningsGP this past Saturday. I don't ride the street much anymore, so they were not even scrubbed in before the first session. Now, keep in mind I don't race CCS or Wera and just wanted a good track/street tire that can be used for both. I do enjoy riding Deal's Gap and surrounding roads when I'm up there. So, after a easy few sessions I turned up the pace later in the day. The turn in was very responsive and the grip was outstanding. I never once slid the front or rear. The feedback was very predictable. I wasn't using tire warmers either. I've used Pilot Powers once on the track and have slid them before. I would have to say they felt much like the Pirelli Super Corsa's SC-2 I've ran before. I don't think they will last as long as the Michelin 2CT's from the way it looked at the end of the day and that's not an issue with me. I just want the grip and it looks like it's there with these tires. I had emailed Bridgestone about air pressures on the track. I was told to start out at 31F and 30R and adjust if needed. I found these pressures to be a very good starting point and kept them there.Again, I'm not a racer. Just a rider who enjoys track days and some aggressive street riding who can use the same tires for both. So, in the end I was very happy with these tires. They run a little less expensive compared to the 2CT's, but as I said I don't think they will last as long due to the wear I was getting from them. Here is a pic of the rear tire before hitting the track and a few after the day was over."""

Thanks.

GIX750
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
i've never been on the track, but have ridden my share of different tires. i think that it's a good idea to go with what you're comfortable with, if you've been runnin somethin for a while and like it than why change. but if you're dead set on tryin somethin new i know sprhk has run the battlax's and raves over em. so if you to try somethin else i would give those a shot. but on the same token what someone else likes might completely suck ass for you. if i were you i would stick with what ya know.

JimRBlue
07-09-2007, 08:59 PM
i've never been on the track, but have ridden my share of different tires. i think that it's a good idea to go with what you're comfortable with, if you've been runnin somethin for a while and like it than why change. but if you're dead set on tryin somethin new i know sprhk has run the battlax's and raves over em. so if you to try somethin else i would give those a shot. but on the same token what someone else likes might completely suck ass for you. if i were you i would stick with what ya know.

Good pont.

CBRBob
07-09-2007, 09:12 PM
If you like Pirelli's you will most likely NOT like Michelins.

ffejtable
07-09-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm partial to the PPs, personally. I think they are a great track tire for us slow folk, are reasonably priced, and wear well.

I'm not really familiar with the BT002s so I cant comment on those.

I have a set of DC IIIs I have yet to use, but those will be the next track tire I use because of the special they ran on them last fall... I am not optimistic on treadlife on these.

JimRBlue
07-09-2007, 09:37 PM
I really liked the DC III's..
I've tracked my current corsa III's. I love them. Warm up fast, very predictable traction and they give you feedback as they slip. 3 k so far and i don't think i can get much more then 6 out of them. That was on the FZ1,

Now I have to get used to what a real bike feels like on the track.,,,,

SPRHK
07-09-2007, 09:54 PM
I run BT002's on the track and LOVE THEM!!! When my supplier started selling BT002RS's, I sold the new set of Qualifiers off my bike to GIX750 and bought a set of them. I think they are fucking AWESOME. Another person to rave about them would be NGB. BUT like GIX750 said, you may want to stick with what you know and are comfortable with. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

NGB
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah those BT-002s are awsome!They have amazing grip,as far as wear goes i have just about 3000 miles on mine(note to self another 300 miles time for oil change) anyway the center started to wear a bit,then decided to change my route to work and can see a big difference in wear.But anyhoot i absolutely love this tire.Thanks again Chris!

CBRBob
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
3000 miles on track tires.................who are you people?

Ant
07-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Yo Jim, I got a set of DCIII's with only 3 trackdays on them and no street miles. If you want a cheaper set just to hit up the track lemme know.

JimRBlue
07-10-2007, 08:29 PM
After much hemming and hawing i think i am going to go with the corsa III's again. I am going to have additional variables to deal with on the next track day ( like a new bike) and the "familar tires" will at least take care of one aspect. After that I think I will go with the BT's for the street and give them a try under regular conditions.

many have said , " go with what you know and what is familiar" I may go this route for the next rotation.

Thanks everyone for the input.!

NGB
07-10-2007, 08:47 PM
3000 miles on track tires.................who are you people?From what i understand the bt-002's are a street/trackday tire,plus i ride to work just about everyday.And by the way my name is Bob nice to meet you Bob!:wave:

SPRHK
07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
From what i understand the bt-002's are a street/trackday tire,plus i ride to work just about everyday.And by the way my name is Bob nice to meet you Bob!:wave:

They know your name is Bob, they want to know what NG stands for..........:lol:

SAXON117
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
tell em...................... El Nigro:lol:

SPRHK
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
People that really annoy you N _ G G E R .
Just like South Park

SAXON117
07-10-2007, 10:36 PM
can I buy a vowel, SPRHK. I'd like an 'I':lol: :lol:

SPRHK
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You were alwaeys good at that game!!!!!!!!!!can I buy a vowel, SPRHK. I'd like an 'I':lol: :lol:

NGB
07-12-2007, 06:16 PM
tell em...................... El Nigro:lol:Listen just because the good lord gave you and your brother a three inch penis don't be jealous of me because the good lord made me black from the waist down.BITCH!