PDA

View Full Version : Track day FUNding

benellis
07-31-2005, 05:29 PM
After doing a couple of Team Pro-Motion trackdays, I've found that I'm totally hooked :banmac: The problem is I don't have enough money to do all the trackdays I want to.The cost of fuel is going up, and feeding my crew/support group isn't cheap either. Does everyone pay for it out of pocket or do some of you guys (and girls) get donations from family, friends, sponsors, etc?
I'd hate to get a second job :down:

Kennedy
07-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Wondering the same thing.....

DougZ
07-31-2005, 08:00 PM
Us slightly older guys, just spend the money that we should be saving for retirement, and/or max the credit cards. :)

Vin
07-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Us slightly older guys, just spend the money that we should be saving for retirement, and/or max the credit cards. :)

:LOL:

Hm, I could buy a lotttttttttttta track days...

Wife -> :beat: <- Me

AfricanBootyScratcher
08-01-2005, 12:11 AM
I just cut some of my spending on other things, and hope for the best. fortunatly I make most of my income during the season, then just scrape by over the winter when I realize I didn't save enough
BTW I didn't see you at then end of the day to say goodbye, but I heard you were lookin' good!

benellis
08-01-2005, 06:16 AM
I just cut some of my spending on other things, and hope for the best. fortunatly I make most of my income during the season, then just scrape by over the winter when I realize I didn't save enough
BTW I didn't see you at then end of the day to say goodbye, but I heard you were lookin' good!

I left after lunch, I had a combination tiredness/ splitting headache. I didn't need to go back out on the track. It was fun overall. I like the long duration turns in the first infield section, and the tight turns in the second infield section. The tunnel turn was a bit hairy because of the speed, the new asphalt patches and the wall. Those SAFER barriers might help the racecar drivers, but it's still steel if we hit it. :panic2:

HondaGalToo
08-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Haha, I wish someone sponsored people for trackdays. For me, I just cut back on other stuff. I pretty much gave up skiing/snowboarding to save up $$$ over the winter.

John712
08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
i take my income tax return check and buy atleast 8 days :)

ezpunkx
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
track days? what trackdays?

CBRBob
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
You all pay for trackdays.........????????

benellis
08-02-2005, 09:05 PM
that bob is a funny guy :lol:

Brian78
08-02-2005, 10:02 PM
on top of my normal full time job i worked part time delivering pizza last winter, and i corner work at pocono as much as i can, i also umpire baseball alot during the summer.

Qetesh
08-02-2005, 10:28 PM
I sold my soul to do trackdays.

carl_g
08-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I work.

lateapex
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM

+1 :) but we as coaches use a lot more gas, tires, wear and tear on the bike plus the phyical strain it takes toll on us to ride as much as we do. Coach can do 600+ miles in 3 days.

We all fund our track time with pocket money. Sharing the ride to the track or camping with others or sharing a hotel room and cooking at the track all help cut costs.

AfricanBootyScratcher
08-03-2005, 12:36 PM
two words:
suggar mamma!

duc748pilot
08-03-2005, 01:21 PM
+1 :) but we as coaches use a lot more gas, tires, wear and tear on the bike plus the phyical strain it takes toll on us to ride as much as we do. Coach can do 600+ miles in 3 days.

We all fund our track time with pocket money. Sharing the ride to the track or camping with others or sharing a hotel room and cooking at the track all help cut costs.

just rub it in guys.... :jerkit:

RCM78
08-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Donations from family and friends? Thats funny!!! :LOL:

Good thing I ride for free!!! :nod2:

RCM78
08-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Seriously, This is an expensive hobby that can lead to an expensive sport. (Racing)

Before I started coaching I did 16 track days a year. The actual tracktime isnt that expensive compared to Tires,Hotel's,Gas, and Food.

I may do upwards of 40 trackdays this year. But we(Me and Bill TPM ART Basic instructor) have several friends that share the ride and hotels with us. That greatly reduces the cost's.

Coach's may ride for free but we still spend Thousands getting to the tracks time and time again...

CBRBob
08-03-2005, 10:44 PM
The actual tracktime isnt that expensive compared to Tires,Hotel's,Gas, and Food. Coach's may ride for free but we still spend Thousands getting to the tracks time and time again...

You can say that agan brother!

DougZ
08-03-2005, 11:12 PM
You can say that agan brother!

Yeah, cause all of us that pay track fees and all the other costs you guys mention, really feel for ya. LOL :)

CBRBob
08-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Yep, like being there by 7, not 8 (Omar....), working tech or airbag duties. Picking up and loading crashed bikes in full gear etc. Hell, we could just leave it out in the weeds hehehehe :)

DougZ
08-04-2005, 07:59 AM
Yep, like being there by 7, not 8 (Omar....), working tech or airbag duties. Picking up and loading crashed bikes in full gear etc. Hell, we could just leave it out in the weeds hehehehe :)

LOL..if doing all that gets me free track time/days..sign me..Im in. LOL :)

AfricanBootyScratcher
08-04-2005, 11:45 AM
HEY!!!! I've been getting there before 8 lately!
haha

lateapex
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
7am or as early as 5 or 6am, depending on the track. We've been on the track in the dark putting out cones and the airfence. And in the dark again putting them away. I lost count the number of times we are the first ones in and the last ones out. With that, coaching in 2 or 3 sessions plus a few blue group session, working the races at lunch, crash pickup, working in the TPM trailer, doing AM tech and thoughout the day for those who crashed, bike repairs for those that have fallen, trailer setup and tear down and whatever else needs to be done. It's a hard days work and makes for along day.

Free, is not so free afterall. You have to realy love the sport and not just riding to do all this work just to ride for free. I raced (cars and bikes) from the age of 5 to 25 so this is my way of paying back for all the work others did to allow me to race.

CBRBob
08-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Yea but you have to actually know how to ride too Doug :wave2: :LOL: :LOL:

DougZ
08-05-2005, 07:58 AM

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark. :)

duc748pilot
08-05-2005, 10:29 AM

yea seriously...geeze..... :wave2:

I Ride
08-05-2005, 02:05 PM
7am or as early as 5 or 6am, depending on the track. We've been on the track in the dark putting out cones and the airfence. And in the dark again putting them away. I lost count the number of times we are the first ones in and the last ones out. With that, coaching in 2 or 3 sessions plus a few blue group session, working the races at lunch, crash pickup, working in the TPM trailer, doing AM tech and thoughout the day for those who crashed, bike repairs for those that have fallen, trailer setup and tear down and whatever else needs to be done. It's a hard days work and makes for along day.

Free, is not so free afterall. You have to realy love the sport and not just riding to do all this work just to ride for free. I raced (cars and bikes) from the age of 5 to 25 so this is my way of paying back for all the work others did to allow me to race.

fuck........reading that just made me tired

I Ride
08-05-2005, 02:08 PM

hes got you on that one..... :LOL:

DougZ
08-05-2005, 02:13 PM
hes got you on that one..... :LOL:

Thanks peanut gallery. :LOL:

AfricanBootyScratcher
08-05-2005, 09:02 PM
:wow:
damn, get back in your place boy!
:lmao: :roflmao:

Bster13
08-29-2005, 09:47 PM
Do u have to commit to a minimum # of days to 'work' as a TPM coach? What is the typical progression to become a coach? Some day I could see myself becoming a coach provided things keep progressing as well as they have , my hunger for the track continues to grow, and TPM needs help. :nod2:

Lee
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
You know.. you can write track days off as a tax deduction. Just start a fake/race team and call it practise....

Lee
08-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Do u have to commit to a minimum # of days to 'work' as a TPM coach? What is the typical progression to become a coach? Some day I could see myself becoming a coach provided things keep progressing as well as they have , my hunger for the track continues to grow, and TPM needs help. :nod2:

To be an A level coach you need to do at least 10 track days a year, and have your bike painted TPM colors.

-Lee :jerkit:

I deleted everything else I said SORRY ! I thought about it, and it was too sarcastic.

Bster13
08-30-2005, 10:08 PM
I can imagine. :( But don't worry, I'll be getting my learn on quickly and perhaps u can help me...as long as when u coach me u aren't too sarcastic. ;)

JoeyHonda
09-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I've been selling my mom's hubcaps and vintage tupperware for my next trackday.

Anyone have a toyota camry?

-jh

JoeyHonda
09-01-2005, 12:30 AM

Well we appreciate everything y'all do.... can't say I wouldnt trade places with ya... I'm sure its a little bit cheaper than it is for us... considering some folks probably do more than ten track days a year.

After paying $12 for a shitty lunch at pocono last week... I'm thinking of bringing a hot dog stand/fast food truck to bring to the track and support my habit.... will the raceways allow it?

-jh

lateapex
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Well we appreciate everything y'all do.... can't say I wouldnt trade places with ya... I'm sure its a little bit cheaper than it is for us... considering some folks probably do more than ten track days a year.

After paying $12 for a shitty lunch at pocono last week... I'm thinking of bringing a hot dog stand/fast food truck to bring to the track and support my habit.... will the raceways allow it?
-jh

8 pack of hotdogs, rolls, water, A-treat soda, bag of ice and big bag of chips. Cook the dogs on the George Forman grill and lunch is server. All for about $20. Sometimes we go big and get a box of burgers so we hit the $30 mark. This will feed at 4 people or 2 people over 2 day.

JoeyHonda
09-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Sometimes we go big and get a box of burgers so we hit the $30 mark. This will feed at 4 people or 2 people over 2 day.

Oh I know how to save money on food at amusement parks (and now track days) Its just that I had a little problem last time. My food supply and cheerleading squad came well after that nice lunch break they gave us.

Considering how many other people were in the cafeteria who didnt know any better to bring food.... I figured I could make money and feed the (track) needy at a fraction of the cost.

heck I'm looking into selling my mother to support my track habit.

-joey honda

Bster13
09-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Stand at the entrance to the Service road to Pocono Raceway b4 the actual guys that sign u in, and make like u work for PIR. Collect a $5 fee for all riders. Those that are verterans will tell u to F-off, but the newbies will pay I'm sure. :lol:

DougZ
09-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Stand at the entrance to the Service road to Pocono Raceway b4 the actual guys that sign u in, and make like u work for PIR. Collect a $5 fee for all riders. Those that are verterans will tell u to F-off, but the newbies will pay I'm sure. :lol:

You may be onto to something. :)