PDA

View Full Version : Strange Problem any ideas?

yb929rr
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
riding my 929 today. speedo and temp went blank on blank on, etc. tach dropped to zero and engine sounds like stalling. rev it and everything came back. finally it quit. but the pump was still working and had juice. took everything off and saw one ignition coil was lose(#4). took it off and tightened the plug then put the coil back. jump started it(thanks for the push ian) and then the problem went away.
any ideas on what caused this. alternator or starter going? battery is only one year old.
one more thing, i checked my manual and when it wouldn't start the 'starter relay switch' was making a clicking noise.

Redlinerider
07-02-2007, 07:38 AM
riding my 929 today. speedo and temp went blank on blank on, etc. tach dropped to zero and engine sounds like stalling. rev it and everything came back. finally it quit. but the pump was still working and had juice. took everything off and saw one ignition coil was lose(#4). took it off and tightened the plug then put the coil back. jump started it(thanks for the push ian) and then the problem went away.
any ideas on what caused this. alternator or starter going? battery is only one year old.
one more thing, i checked my manual and when it wouldn't start the 'starter relay switch' was making a clicking noise.

sounds like you found the problem and fixed it.:lol: :lol:

yb929rr
07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
hope so. but, before i had a plug pop out ignition coil and all and it didn't stop the engine??? should i just put it in the x-files and forget about it

Cakes206
07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Check the harness connection to the back of the cluster.

yb929rr
07-02-2007, 04:59 PM
thanks i'll check it!

Cakes206
07-02-2007, 07:08 PM
If that side is plugged in tight, then check the other end where it connects to the main part of the harness. Also check your battery connections, especially the ground. If all that checks out ok, put a volt meter on the battery. Should read around 14.1-14.3 under revs.

Ripp53
07-02-2007, 08:46 PM
well i had a similar problem check the connection to the charging system had a plug melt on me and when i hit a bump it would die then it would come back and die again when i hit a bump. start at the stator and work your way to the rectefirer(sp) then to the battery. oh and by the way when you have a die battery you should hear the starter relay click because the battery has enough juice to make it work but not enough to turn the starter over

yb929rr
07-03-2007, 06:13 AM
thanks for the good advise. while i had it apart on the roadside. i unplugged and plugged fuses, the plug into the starter relay, and the battery(positive and negative).
it just really had me puzzled. then the rest of the day the starter worked and it ran ok. so maybe i tightened what was loose? i'll go over everything again.

yb929rr
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM
before i set my bike on fire or send it to the shop(depends on how i feel next time i look at it) i thought i'd see if anyone had anymore ideas.
at the neutral switch i'm getting no continuity from the ground wire as the manual states i should. just checked the actual switch and nothing also. changed the switch and the sub-harness leading to it. still nothing from the wire but continuity from the switch. the ground goes to a clutch diode in the fuse box and goes back out to the clutch lever and the starter(both working).
am i going insane or missing something?:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :beat: :beat: :huh: :huh: :rock: :rock: :vent: :vent: :mad: :mad: :rantoff:

HondaGalToo
07-25-2007, 08:41 AM
When I took my 929 in for the 16k valve adjustment and spark plug change, the mechanic found and replaced 2 out of the 4 ignition coils. They were loose and no longer "snapped" onto the spark plugs. Seems like they just wear out over time. Did they fit snugly when you put them back on the plugs?

yb929rr
07-28-2007, 10:28 AM
When I took my 929 in for the 16k valve adjustment and spark plug change, the mechanic found and replaced 2 out of the 4 ignition coils. They were loose and no longer "snapped" onto the spark plugs. Seems like they just wear out over time. Did they fit snugly when you put them back on the plugs?

in my limited knowledge, wouldn't that just cause those cyclinders w/ lose caps to not fire? it would run terrible but not shut down.
that is something good to keep an eye out for and thanks for the imput.

bondo
07-30-2007, 07:54 AM
in my limited knowledge, wouldn't that just cause those cyclinders w/ lose caps to not fire? it would run terrible but not shut down.
that is something good to keep an eye out for and thanks for the imput.

The dash would not shut off even if the plug wires hanging in the breeze.

Assuming what cakes said checks out... battery/charging system operational and battery connection tight. THEN Check the ground connection to the frame (off the battery) If that was loose or corroded, you would have exactly the problem you described. Dash flashes off, motor still running but running poorly, revs made it run better, then stall and starter clicks, then it runs fine again.

otherwise it could be a loose muffler bearing or maybe too much pressure in your left fork tube :nod2: :D

Cakes206
08-19-2007, 08:18 AM
What have you tried to this point? Are the symptoms still the same?

yb929rr
08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
What have you tried to this point? Are the symptoms still the same?

-new stator
-rectifier/regulator

took it out for a test spin same thing.

-right now i got the wire harness out and looking for anything.bike is in pieces.
-took off the connection to the speedo and put i back tight.
-basically did that w/ all connections.

right now i'm to stressed to do anything w/ it really. my mind is beyond boggled.

Cakes206
08-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Know anyone you could swap clusters with just to test? It's starting to sound like possibly a bad ground. Be sure to check ALL ground connections and to make sure no ground(and positive for that matter) wiring is corroded or pinched anywhere along the line. Look close at the insulation, make sure theres no tears or holes, whatever. For the cluster to go blank its loosing main power from somewhere IMO. If you stall or run out of fuel, the cluster is still going to be on cause it runs off the battery. Did you try the volt meter to the battery? Could be a bad cell within the battery. I'm reachin here :confused:

yb929rr
08-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Know anyone you could swap clusters with just to test? It's starting to sound like possibly a bad ground. Be sure to check ALL ground connections and to make sure no ground(and positive for that matter) wiring is corroded or pinched anywhere along the line. Look close at the insulation, make sure theres no tears or holes, whatever. For the cluster to go blank its loosing main power from somewhere IMO. If you stall or run out of fuel, the cluster is still going to be on cause it runs off the battery. Did you try the volt meter to the battery? Could be a bad cell within the battery. I'm reachin here :confused:

w/ the harness out i'm cleaning the grounds. i can't find any holes. tried a different new battery.
that's why it think i'm going to give up and take it to a professional. it's like putting fresh batteries in a radio and it still doesn't work. i'm pulling my hair out/ it's beyond my abilities.
thanks for the imput.

Cakes206
08-19-2007, 01:12 PM
tried a different new battery.
Is it fully charged? Even a brand new battery needs to be put on a charge, don't know how long it sat at from where ever you got it. Got a volt meter? Go into the shoutbox.

EDIT: another thought...what does the tip over sensor cut out on the Honda? Power or fuel?

yb929rr
08-19-2007, 01:19 PM
fully charged and tested w/ volt meter. 13.0V
even recharged the old battery and retried it. it only got to 12.9V

time to call in the mystery machine and crew to solve this one.:)

Cakes206
08-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Another thought...what does the tip over sensor cut out on the 929? Power or fuel?

yb929rr
08-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Another thought...what does the tip over sensor cut out on the 929? Power or fuel?

not sure? i'll check, right now i'm suspecting everything. pulling, cleaning and repluging all connections.

i'll keep you all posted. just sucks big time not riding!!!!!!

yb929rr
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
cleaned everthing and saved the money and went back to OEM parts.

getting 14.4V at 5,000RPM+/-. took it out for a quick spin and it held charge.

thanks to all for the advise and help.
see you out there.

Cakes206
08-31-2007, 11:45 PM
So what was it? Glad ya got 'er goin Chris.

yb929rr
09-02-2007, 10:51 AM
it was the stator and/or rectifier/regulator. i was outside of my abilities when i started messing around w/ after market stuff that had to be 'adapted ' to fit. so i'm sticking w/ OEM parts that are 'plug and play'.

i'm going to shoot up to WCW in the next couple of weeks for a pair of boots, maybe see you there.

SAXON117
09-02-2007, 11:48 AM
it was the stator and/or rectifier/regulator. i was outside of my abilities when i started messing around w/ after market stuff that had to be 'adapted ' to fit. so i'm sticking w/ OEM parts that are 'plug and play'.

i'm going to shoot up to WCW in the next couple of weeks for a pair of boots, maybe see you there.

good to see you're finally back on the road:nod2:

dbarufaldi
09-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry to be just reading this now. My street bike is a 98 VFR800, and they have notoriously weak reg/rectifiers, and sometimes when they go, they display similar symptoms...it would have been the first place I thought to look.

Dan B