PDA

View Full Version : am i nuts??????

capone609
06-16-2007, 06:10 PM
just got back from bear mt. (2 hrs and 40 mins from my house by the way) nice twisty roads up there for sure BUT it seemed like my bike was running like crap..........i was told it was because of the air and something to do with my power commander so have any of you had this happen?????

causef0rconcern
06-16-2007, 06:25 PM
Hasn't happened to me personally. But it would make sense that if bring your bike to an area where the elevation is drastically different, and the air is "thinner", then your bike would run differently. I don't know how high Bear Mtn is so I dunno.

FigNewTon
06-16-2007, 08:08 PM
Bear Mt is 1300ft above sea level opposed to Mystic Islands, NJ at 10ft.

High_Revs_17
06-17-2007, 12:47 AM
The bike might've been underpowered but hopefully the air pressure didn't effect the suspension.

SPL170db
06-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Your airbox has a sensor running back tot he ECU that makes small adjustments for atmospheric changes. Although I think you might have been making a mountain out of a molehill as far as your bike running like "crap", unless of course there is something else wrong with it.

SAXON117
06-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Yes you're nuts. :lol:

NGB
06-17-2007, 11:52 PM
ya see what the problem is you probably parked the yamaha too close to the HD and the yamaha cought the slow,burp and fart bug!

JHuff1219
06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
just got back from bear mt. (2 hrs and 40 mins from my house by the way) nice twisty roads up there for sure BUT it seemed like my bike was running like crap..........i was told it was because of the air and something to do with my power commander so have any of you had this happen?????

I have ridden my bike (hard) over the Cherohala Skyway (Near Deal's Gap, Robbinsville, NC) countless times which is between 5,300 and 5,800 feet above sea level and apart from my ears closing completely the bike ran without a single problem. I do this ride every year and several times per visit, so in short you should have purchased a HONDA!!:P :P :doh: Seriously, the elevation should not effect your bikes performance. I'm guessing you got yourself a bad tank of gas.:)

Smokes35
06-18-2007, 10:05 AM
humidity can fook with your bikes performance as well.

Cakes206
06-18-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm guessing you got yourself a bad tank of gas.:)
Thats what I was thinking as well. That or if the gas has been sitting for a little while, with the Ethanol its making gas go bad faster. Sitting in the tank for even as little as 3 weeks can make it run like crap.

capone609
06-26-2007, 02:05 AM
it made a wah wah wah wah sound maybe bad gas maybe closed ear lobes but its running fine now thanks...

capone609
06-26-2007, 02:14 AM
More than likely it was the temp./weather. Also elevation has a lot to do with it. Without hearing it I'm speculating but all the bikes I've owned have had the same type of behavior. Usually when it gets hot outside the bike becomes more unruly. Fueling seems to get real jerky, the bike sounds anemic and lacks quick response and power. When you go to a higher elevation also it only compounds the situation. Next time the bike does this make note of the ambient temp outside.
SOMEONE SENT ME THAT ANSWER SOUNDS LOGICAL

CBRBob
06-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Jeez, what are you riding? A 1903 bike with a carb made from a soup can? No that was the original hd..... If your late model FI bike cant handle a few K' of elevation, bring it back to get it fixed. Hell, even back in the early days of efi, all you really needed to do was shut the key off and restart it so it would reset to the higher alt. Now they 'reset' continuously.

Cakes206
06-26-2007, 08:36 AM
What kind of gas you using...as in octane.

CBRBob
06-26-2007, 11:29 AM
What kind of gas you using...as in octane.

Shouldn't matter.

Rev
06-26-2007, 11:36 AM
The bike might've been underpowered but hopefully the air pressure didn't effect the suspension.

how does air pressure affect suspension??? :moocow: Your talking air pressure from the outside or tire? lol..your a strange boy..

Cakes206
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Shouldn't matter.
I know my bike used to run like crap the higher octane I used(I used to think Sunoco Ultra 94 was like the best stuff for the bike, I was wrong,) dropped down to 87 and was fine after that.

Rev
06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I know my bike used to run like crap the higher octane I used(I used to think Sunoco Ultra 94 was like the best stuff for the bike, I was wrong,) dropped down to 87 and was fine after that.

Yeah I agree..I thought that using the ultra was wonderfull for my bike...then I read the manual and said 87 reccomended..after switching the throttle seemed more responsive....I mean I was using ultra as soon as I picked up the bike and like 7 months straight after..thank god i switched to regular...thank god I actually read the manual..Thank god i'm seggsy..

JHuff1219
06-28-2007, 01:03 PM
More than likely it was the temp./weather. Also elevation has a lot to do with it. Without hearing it I'm speculating but all the bikes I've owned have had the same type of behavior. Usually when it gets hot outside the bike becomes more unruly. Fueling seems to get real jerky, the bike sounds anemic and lacks quick response and power. When you go to a higher elevation also it only compounds the situation. Next time the bike does this make note of the ambient temp outside.
SOMEONE SENT ME THAT ANSWER SOUNDS LOGICAL

You and who ever wrote that (logical???) jibberish need to have their tools taken away from them!!

Like CBRBob says, today's machines automatically adjust to changing temps, humidity and elevation constantly. If your bike is running rough it has nothing to do with the outside environment. First place to check is the gas tank. With today's use of ethenol, gas can breakdown within days. And don't get me started on the gas stations who pump more water than fuel into your tank!! Keep in mind, that when you put the gas into your tank, that fuel could have been sitting in the stations tank for weeks. So if your favorite gas station does not have a thriving demand for gas you might want to change to another station who gets deliveries more regularily. Just my two cents!

capone609
06-28-2007, 06:43 PM
i was joking about being logical by the way ........also i do agree the type of gas seemed to problem due to the fact that it hasnt happened again..........................thanks ................cliff