PDA

View Full Version : Condo

John712
05-31-2007, 09:44 PM
get one!

I'm almost certain that it's everybodys dream to own their first house. it was my dream, and it does make you a happier. but if i can steer you away from it, EXCELLENT.

owning a house is an endless job, $$$$ and more $$$$ and more $$$$ then a little more $$$$.

usually happens 2 years after you own it. you wanna do this and that, that and this. and not to mention when you got a project, thats when you really know who your friends are.

GET A CONDO.
besides their easier to sell.

Marker54
05-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Was originally thinking of buying a house...just really difficult to get something affordable on only my income (single, and make a very comfortable income) Then thought about a Condo, but you pay nearly as much for a good condo as you do an ok home + you have association fees!( As much as $300/month and not tax deductible)
Since my job will hopefully be leading to even more prosperous horizons over the next 2-3 years, I may actually just go back to renting. I hate to do it, but it cuts out the taxes, fees and all the other expences of owning a home...one that I will be selling in 2-3 years anyway. And to boot, I simply don't have the energy or time to fixing leaky pipes and putting on new roofs and other shit that comes along with a home. May still consider a condo...but it just seems so much easier on the wallet to rent for a little longer.

Any thoughts...

ImmaSquashYou
06-01-2007, 05:06 AM
well....i'm getting a new job...n hopefully i'll be getting paid pretty well...(will know next week, dunno which one pays higher our of the two) I'm def not moving out of my parents house yet...there's no need..but once i do, i don't think i can rent....i understand that renting can be less of a hassle, but owning i believe is the way to go...the market is going up on houses every year, if you do'nt like it..sell it....n make some money on it.. To me its like a waste of money if you rent IMO.....that's why i believe when i move out, i'm gonna buy my own house....if not..a townhouse..cause i need that garage...

67GTONUT
06-01-2007, 07:22 AM
Got married 11yrs ago and bought an inexpensive condo(78K), 2bedroom, 900sqft, and 1 1/2 garage.
Condo is now worth $225K..... GTO and 919 are in the garage. I can ride or cruise all weekend, while others are mowing their lawns and doing other outside upkeep on thier home....

Even with a refi and owing more then what I paid for it...... I will have it paid off in 10 more years. I make an average income, and living in a condo lets me enjoy life as if I made what others do in the Northeast...

In short.... I would never own a home in the Northeast....

soda7o
06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
condos Blow.. homes rule.. :) i own both condos and homes (2 condos, 2 homes)
yes home is a bit more work around the yeard and etc but condos are not the answer to it all.. plus you have to live by their rules... but my homes is my kingdom i make the rules.. if my neighbors dont liek them.. all they can do is.. live with it!

ffejtable
06-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Was originally thinking of buying a house...just really difficult to get something affordable on only my income (single, and make a very comfortable income) Then thought about a Condo, but you pay nearly as much for a good condo as you do an ok home + you have association fees!( As much as $300/month and not tax deductible)
Since my job will hopefully be leading to even more prosperous horizons over the next 2-3 years, I may actually just go back to renting. I hate to do it, but it cuts out the taxes, fees and all the other expences of owning a home...one that I will be selling in 2-3 years anyway. And to boot, I simply don't have the energy or time to fixing leaky pipes and putting on new roofs and other shit that comes along with a home. May still consider a condo...but it just seems so much easier on the wallet to rent for a little longer.

Any thoughts...

I know you are smarter than that! Rent is simply pissing your money away, and you will never see it again.

Owning, house/condo/townhouse is an investment, and a pretty darn safe one. People who bought 8+ years ago now have something worth at least 2x what they paid for it.

Not to mention your mortgage (taxes/interest) is tax deductible, and as you earn equity on the home you can use home equity loans (TAX DEDUCTIBLE!!) to buy stuff like your car, truck, boat, motorcycle, etc, instead of conventional loans..

Buying in the current market really sucks though... Prices are beyond resonable, and I have no idea how most people can afford any of it...

carl_g
06-01-2007, 10:17 AM
Buying in the current market really sucks though... Prices are beyond resonable, and I have no idea how most people can afford any of it...

It is expensive but it is definitely a buyers market right now.

soda7o
06-01-2007, 10:37 AM

yes it is.. and i am looking to buy another hous ein Brooklyn, but i need to sell one of my condos in FL and no one is buying...

xstortion
06-01-2007, 01:26 PM
I am a firm supporter of getting a townhouse preferably an end unit.

carl_g
06-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I hate sharing walls and paying monthly maintenance fees.

xstortion
06-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I hate sharing walls and paying monthly maintenance fees.

I hate mowing the lawn :)

CuCullin
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM

I would say its becoming a buyers market... but the bs surge in price resulting from big movers in the finance industry, low apr, etc, has not gotten back to normal just yet. Making its way though.

PitsVtec
06-01-2007, 02:20 PM
To each their own....

Mark & I bought a house together in October. I think it may have been the smarter investment we have made - there are no rules that need to be followed and no walls to be shared. Sure we have house work, but upkeep comes with anything. You don't clean your apt., you're liable for fees, it's the same anywhere....think about it.

carl_g
06-01-2007, 02:25 PM
location, location, location.

carl_g
06-01-2007, 02:26 PM
I hate mowing the lawn :)
If that is your only hang up, pay someone. It is not that expensive.

Redlinerider
06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
i read your mind on this post and bought one in december 06 :nod2:

you are right!! i would like a house but, i enjoyed looking at the landscapers this morning grooming the lawn ;)

:lol:

John712
06-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Got married 11yrs ago and bought an inexpensive condo(78K), 2bedroom, 900sqft, and 1 1/2 garage.
Condo is now worth $225K..... GTO and 919 are in the garage. I can ride or cruise all weekend, while others are mowing their lawns and doing other outside upkeep on thier home....

Even with a refi and owing more then what I paid for it...... I will have it paid off in 10 more years. I make an average income, and living in a condo lets me enjoy life as if I made what others do in the Northeast...

In short.... I would never own a home in the Northeast....

im constantly mowing my lawn, twice a week. and when it dont need mowing its raining. then comes the pool. BIG inground pool. needs a lot of up keep to it. im still redesigning my yard. im going on almost 2 months now. i should be done within the next month or so. now i got a leak in my roof. nothing major. but i caught it in time while i was in the attic, i heard drips hitting the floor. i quickly patched it up and put a big bucket where the drip was just in case. now i got to redo my roof sooner then what i wanted to do. but Lowes has the roof shingles i want. 30 year 3-tab shingle for $19.25. it adds up. im already 5G's into my yard alone.

roof will be about the same in material alone. im doing it all myself so im saving several G's. i already got the siding on order, a hook up from a friend who managed to save me about $6 a case. im not set up to do siding, but my uncle is and i just got to wait for him to come to Jersey from Florida for his help me vacation lol.

so yeah, if i had a condo i would have been saving all that money, putting it away and get a house built the way i like it, WARRANTY on most of the stuff to.

yb929rr
06-03-2007, 10:10 PM
i was thinking about moving the family into a cardboard box. cheap maintenance and you get a new house everytime someone buys a home appliance.

Brian78
06-03-2007, 10:13 PM
im constantly mowing my lawn, twice a week. and when it dont need mowing its raining. then comes the pool. BIG inground pool. needs a lot of up keep to it. im still redesigning my yard. im going on almost 2 months now. i should be done within the next month or so. now i got a leak in my roof. nothing major. but i caught it in time while i was in the attic, i heard drips hitting the floor. i quickly patched it up and put a big bucket where the drip was just in case. now i got to redo my roof sooner then what i wanted to do. but Lowes has the roof shingles i want. 30 year 3-tab shingle for $19.25. it adds up. im already 5G's into my yard alone.

roof will be about the same in material alone. im doing it all myself so im saving several G's. i already got the siding on order, a hook up from a friend who managed to save me about $6 a case. im not set up to do siding, but my uncle is and i just got to wait for him to come to Jersey from Florida for his help me vacation lol.

so yeah, if i had a condo i would have been saving all that money, putting it away and get a house built the way i like it, WARRANTY on most of the stuff to.

when is the pool party at cakes' house??

SilverDragon
06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
i was thinking about moving the family into a cardboard box. cheap maintenance and you get a new house everytime someone buys a home appliance.

sweeeeet!!! LOL:roflmao:

njracer
06-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I say house all the way......bought my house 7yrs ago and I could now sell it for double what I paid.

However, I spent $35,000 doing the kitchen, $5000ish doing the main bathroom, $4000 on the shed, $4000 on the deck expansion and unknown amounts on the rest of the house. We still have a bunch to do and we might even go up and add 3 more rooms and 2 more bathrooms.

Still, at the end of the day, we are only paying a bit more than what I was paying for rent (about $600 more) and I have a house and a nice size yard.

njracer