PDA

View Full Version : First 2 up ride

Gear Dog
07-28-2005, 08:46 AM
After 2 years of riding I finally got the wife to take a ride with me. It was the first time I had a passanger and her first on a bike. I took it easy and stayed in the development. It was also getting dark so I didn't want her to freak out so I kept the ride short.
The funny part was that she kept bumping helmets with me. I wasn't shifting or accelerating to hard so I stopped and tried to figure out why. Then I realized that I was riding the tank and she was right on me. So I asked her to sit in her own seat :lol: and the ride was a lot better after that. When we got off of the bike she wanted more. I told her that we would go for a longer ride this weekend during the day. I've found a few good roads to cruise on while breaking in the bike, so she should enjoy it.

Cakes206
07-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Cool deal man...couple of tips for riding 2up...when shes holds on, have her put one arm round you and the other with her hand on the tank...just incase you need to stop, she can push against the tank holding her back instead of falling ontop of you. Also, for turns...both need to lean together, have her look over the shoulder of the side you're turning...hope this helps.

CBRBob
07-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Actually have her hands on your hips so she knows what you are doing. From that position she can easily slide her hands to the tank for HARD braking. Normal braking she can just squeeze her legs around you to keep from sliding. She must also pay attention, this keeps the back of your helmet chip free. Remind her of the dangers of hot/moving parts back there and that she should remain relatively still. :)

Kawibabe
07-28-2005, 11:51 AM
That is great to hear she is wanting to do that!!! :)

I agree with having a hand on the gas tank or around you. However, with stopping the hand(s) needs to go on the gas tank. It's easier for you and her. You just need to find what works for you/her.

neebelung
07-28-2005, 11:55 AM
YAY! Congrats on gettin' her on the back!! I'm sure she had a blast (and it probably won't be long till she wants her own bike!)

The placement of hands on the tank versus wrapping arms around the pilot depends on a lot of things (the bike, the size of the pilot, the height/arm length of the passenger) but mainly boils down to personal preference. I spent over a year strictly as a passenger, and found hands placed on the tank was the most comfortable all around... BUT, I'm tall, and have long arms, so it was easy to do without putting pressure on the pilot, and without clinking helmets. As Rob mentioned, this is also a very effective positition when hard braking comes into play.

Here's a couple threads on other forums that might help... have your wife read them -- there's lots of good tips that should help her get a bit more comfortable until she finds the position that works best for her.

Good luck!!

Tips for Riding on the back (http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=33417)

Ridin' on da back.... (http://www.cycleforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173676)

Oh yeah, and DO invest in a good pair of gloves for her (if you haven't already).... Something with a non-skid (like suede) palm, or even gel pads, to reduce fatigue.

Gear Dog
08-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the links.
She finally got around to reading the post and found a lot of useful info. We have gone out a few more times and she is really enjoying it. I think I'm going to suprise her with a MSF class next season. If I haven't sold the Katana by then maybe I'll get her in the road.

Kawibabe
08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Awww!!! :) Just don't get too excited and push her too fast though.