PDA

View Full Version : Best synthetic oil...

Barbi
05-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Ok so its time for my oil change and I'm told the bike had full synthetic in it...

It appears that it has AMSoil in it but that isn't the easiest oil to obtain. Should I switch to like Mobil1 or Motul... :huh:

suggestions, comments, :blahblah:

RCM78
05-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Since your bike has a dry clutch you dont need to use motorcycle specific oil. Mobil 1 will be fine...

wcrbikemike
05-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I run Shell Rotella T full synthetic and have not had any problems at all. Many people on the WERA board run it as well. A big plus is that it is also under $17.00 a gallon at Wally World.

Rev
05-10-2007, 04:14 PM
I use Motul...does any one else? it

SPL170db
05-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I've used Repsol, Amsoil, and recently Suzuki full synthetic oils.

All are fine.

RCM78
05-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I use Motul...does any one else? it

I use to use Motul full synth in the R1 but cant get it anymore locally so I've been using Repsol full synth.

SPRHK
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
All I use is Motul :thumbup: :thumbup:

CBRBob
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I have used the Motul and Honda Semis as well as Elf and Repsol semi and full synth. They are all good.

ffejtable
05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok so its time for my oil change and I'm told the bike had full synthetic in it...

It appears that it has AMSoil in it but that isn't the easiest oil to obtain. Should I switch to like Mobil1 or Motul... :huh:

suggestions, comments, :blahblah:

What does AMSoil appear like in the bike? :)

I'm usually using Castrol Syntec 10w-40 or heavier (non energy conserving). I tried Mobil 1 once and the bike (trans) didnt seem happy with it. I'm not sold on the motorcycle specific oil or "it costs more, so it must be better" arguments.

I've heard good things about the Shell Rotella T as well, but I havent seen it sold locally.

Maybe we should all write Mythbusters and see if they can do an episode on motorcycle oil... :) Sooner or later they are going to run out of ideas.. And I know the one guy rides, i've seen him with a Vanson jacket on a few times. :)

soda7o
05-11-2007, 03:14 PM
And I know the one guy rides, i've seen him with a Vanson jacket on a few times. :)

i see alot of thugs in the hood with Vanson jackets on too but they dont Ride..
riding jacket does not equal motorcycle :)

Ant
05-11-2007, 03:39 PM
What does AMSoil appear like in the bike? :)

I'm usually using Castrol Syntec 10w-40 or heavier (non energy conserving). I tried Mobil 1 once and the bike (trans) didnt seem happy with it. I'm not sold on the motorcycle specific oil or "it costs more, so it must be better" arguments.

I've heard good things about the Shell Rotella T as well, but I havent seen it sold locally.

Maybe we should all write Mythbusters and see if they can do an episode on motorcycle oil... :) Sooner or later they are going to run out of ideas.. And I know the one guy rides, i've seen him with a Vanson jacket on a few times. :)

Amsoil gets dirty quick. I'm not convinced on it. I however am a BIG fan of Mobil 1 15-50. I put that in my gixxer and that thing went through hell and back and ran like a champ.

ffejtable
05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe the Amsoil was getting dirty because of the sludge the previous oils left behind? :)

I tried the Mobil 1 gold cap (dunno if its 10w40, 15w40, 15w50, 20w50, etc)... I think that was in the 96 track bike and it just wasnt happy.. Probably was really my riding, but its easier to blame the oil ;)

Soda... im quite sure the guy on mythbusters rides.. Its not just the jacket that gives it away, but the bike in the background from time to time...

Why the momos in the city do half the things they do i'll never understand...

soda7o
05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Why the momos in the city do half the things they do i'll never understand...

cause its cool !!
i actually dont watch that show much infcat really almost never
as far as oil goes i run non synthtic and my bieks have ran fine .. than again the way i ride i do not notice how the oil perfoms... i have bigger things ot worry about like adding more zipties and JBweld to keep the oil in the bike :)

Gigantic
05-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I run Shell Rotella T full synthetic and have not had any problems at all. Many people on the WERA board run it as well. A big plus is that it is also under $17.00 a gallon at Wally World.

I can't believe I'm posting in an oil thread... but, +1
I've recently switched to Repsol, no complaints, there- I got a free t-shirt when I bought a gallon.

oh yeah, when you change your oil, make sure you lube your muffler bearings and change your blinker fluid, too.

CBRBob
05-13-2007, 06:18 PM
make sure you lube your muffler bearings and change your blinker fluid, too.

Dunno about that blinker fluid but, do you mean these muffler bearings?

Clicky! (http://tailgunnerexhaust.com/performance-5.html)

Gigantic
05-13-2007, 06:33 PM
omg! that's gotta be the gheyest thing I've ever seen!!! those cruiser guys will buy anything, as long as it's chrome, won't they?

Ant
05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I was in Walmart this weekend and noticed that Mobil 1 now has a high mileage oil in a 10w-40 that is NOT energy conserving. I might have to give that a whirl.

_Jay_
05-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Repsol Synthetic

causef0rconcern
05-23-2007, 06:19 PM
motul semi

NGB
05-23-2007, 08:57 PM
I just switched to motul semi also noticed quite a diff!Thanks to SPRHK!

ImmaSquashYou
05-23-2007, 09:14 PM
I use motul 5100. Thats a semi-synthetic. The reason being is that you would use fully synthetic if you ride your bike a lot. But if you don't, i would suggest to go semi-synthetic. I however do use fully syntehetic on my car since it sees ALOT of mileage. If you don't put over 9k a year on the bike, i would say to go semi.. ]

And yes, you can change back and forth from synthetic to non synthetic at all but you would need to change your oil to semi-synthetic a couple of times before you go non-synthethic.

Point is, you can go from synthetic to semi-synthetic without any complications but cannot go from synthetic to non-synthetic directly.

MOTUL ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

Barbi
05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
oh yeah, when you change your oil, make sure you lube your muffler bearings and change your blinker fluid, too.

That blinker fluid is EXPENSIVE! They charged me $20 for it. :ohmygod: But I'm all set now, thanks :)

morpheus6d9
05-30-2007, 01:29 PM
motul or amsoil

extreme78
06-19-2007, 08:18 PM

+1 I run Shell Rotella T in my bike and two cars for few months now. Works great and yes its cheap $17 at Wall Mart

Commuta_Busa
06-21-2007, 12:35 PM
now there's a can o' worms... lol
Since your bike has a dry clutch you dont need to use motorcycle specific oil. Mobil 1 will be fine...

I've used a few different brands Motul, Elf, Amsoil, and Mobil 1. The only one mentioned that I haven't tried is the Shell.

My bikes been happy with the Mobil1 Red Cap which is now the Gold Cap 15winter 50 for the past 3-4 years...

Stay away from the high mileage Mobil oil

to each his own though....

southjersey636
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
now there's a can o' worms... lol

I've used a few different brands Motul, Elf, Amsoil, and Mobil 1. The only one mentioned that I haven't tried is the Shell.

My bikes been happy with the Mobil1 Red Cap which is now the Gold Cap 15winter 50 for the past 3-4 years...

Stay away from the high mileage Mobil oil

to each his own though....

Agree. I put over 35,000 miles on my bike running Mobil 1 15-50 and still have the stock clutch in my bike. Enough said right there about wet clutches and mobil 1 15-50. I think I busted that worry about if it will work with bikes lol.

JasonB
06-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I can't believe I'm posting in an oil thread... but, +1
I've recently switched to Repsol, no complaints, there- I got a free t-shirt when I bought a gallon.

Dont forget the piston return spring as well