PDA

View Full Version : What Trackday club do you ride with and why?

Gigantic
05-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm working on an article about "choosing the trackday club that's right for you" and doing an informal and very unscientific survey to gauge the reasons that people choose trackday organizations that they ride with and I'd like some help from y'all.

What's great about your favorite club? I'm not particularly interested in reading about why another club sucks, I just want to hear your thoughts about your favorite trackday org and why you ride with them. You may be quoted in an upcoming article.
Thanks alot.
Lance

ffejtable
05-09-2007, 07:07 PM
TPM because everybody I know rides with them, more or less.

I would like to give another club a try however, to see what the environment is like and how they run things.

Overall I am happy with TPM, but there are some things I am not thrilled with. Without anything to compare it to, I have no clue if better or worse than other clubs, other than hearing opinions (usually from TPM members). :P

I will say that I do remember being disappointed with the 2006 schedule compared with the 2005 schedule, and even more disappointed in the dates of this years schedule.

Cakes206
05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Having experienced a few different track day orgs, I can say that I personally like TPM. Did my first track day with TPM early '04, and from the first 10 minutes of the rider's meeting I knew I had found a new home. I noticed a big difference in overall atmosphere and how the org was projected as a whole. Right off the bat I felt welcomed with any and all questions that I had. The coaches are some of the best riders I've seen, very approachable, who will always go the extra mile to make sure you're doing what you need to do. All track day orgs want to see that everyone is safe, something about TPM that really stands out is their air fence and their generosity on allowing other orgs to use them if they choose to. As with anything, you can't please everyone all of the time, like with certain policies, certain track dates, not going to certain tracks, even certain people, but they sure do their best to try and please the majority and put on a great event.

carl_g
05-09-2007, 08:06 PM
I would say NESBA! LOL! just to mix things up! :)

Ant
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I would say NESBA! LOL! just to mix things up! :)

Carl...you're such an ass. I love it.:lol:

CBRBob
05-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I rode with nesba and tpm initially and visited a reduc day once. I thought reduc was very disorganized, nesba and tpm were about the same but I didn't care for the passing rules with nesba nor their gear rules. TPM from day one felt like a family atmosphere, people in the pits willing to lend a hand, the staff always had something to offer as far as help. One thing, when I was talking to 2 coaches when I was in red about being moved to blue, they both had already noticed my riding and that I could be moved without any other bother. They named a few instances where I handled things they way they expected etc. They weren't just riding around, they were actually watching and remembering.

opinion914
05-09-2007, 09:18 PM
i was with nesba, then joined TPM because of the more days offered at pocono and the morning giveaways.... atleast tpm still has more pocono dates.;)

ps, and the CR's w/ TPM are super helpful.

Cakes206
05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
atleast tpm still has more pocono dates.;)
You need to venture out son :nod2:

opinion914
05-09-2007, 09:33 PM

you've seen my little VW and my even littler welfare trailer. besides, i dont trust any of you enough to share a hotel room with..... sleepwalk my ass.:roflmao:

opinion914
05-09-2007, 09:34 PM
but you are right Joe.

Cakes206
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
besides, i dont trust any of you enough to share a hotel room with..... sleepwalk my ass.:roflmao:
G'Damn thats funny. I'll get my own pasta...I swear.

carl_g
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
you've seen my little VW and my even littler welfare trailer. besides, i dont trust any of you enough to share a hotel room with..... sleepwalk my ass.:roflmao:Dude have you ever seen ant's trailer????
No offense ant.. but I have dragged that thing to Canada, VIR, and Summit a bunch of times :ride:

carl_g
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Carl...you're such an ass. I love it.:lol:
hehe seriously though.. I have only ever ridden with tpm and have no complaints. I always thought everyone on the staff and in the club were very cool.

Jimmy
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Dude have you ever seen ant's trailer????
No offense ant.. but I have dragged that thing to Canada, VIR, and Summit a bunch of times :ride:

I've been behind that thing... waiting for one of those little wheels to burst into flames :lol:

Gigantic
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
back to the topic... please try to keep your responses positive.
Thanks,
Lance

carl_g
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I've been behind that thing... waiting for one of those little wheels to burst into flames :lol:
LMFAO!!!:lol:

Qetesh
05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Lance..

Up until last weekend, I've only ridden with TPM. I went to Beaverun last weekend and rode with NESBA.

Here are my thoughts...

I love TPM. They're my first trackday "family" and I wouldn't have it any other way. The Coaches make it a really fun day and the safety is beyond exceptional. Sure, you'll have "that guy" at any trackday with any organization, but they really go above and beyond to offer the best they can.

With that said, my first experience with NESBA wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

The riders meeting focused primarily on safety and having fun.

I got out there and hooked up with a CR who was really cool and helped me feel comfortable. I admit I was feeling out of sorts, like I was cheating on TPM, but by the time the session was over I had a huge smile on my face.

The remainder of the day was a blast. Great company, great people. Everyone was super helpful and nice and the CR's were easy to grab and talk to.

I was asked how I liked NESBA and I responded by saying I would have to do another day to be sure :lol:

There were two things that I didn't like. One, you couldn't pass a CR unless waved by and they don't mandate a back protector (but most riders had them anyway). That's it.

FDNYDANO18
05-10-2007, 12:28 AM
Myself and my friends ride with TPM and I'm happy with them. I will eventually try out some other clubs due to scheduling but I will always be a TPM member if they continue on as they are.
I started out with TPM because they offered(and still do) a "try the track" for free experience over the lunch break. We all rode out to Pocono for the day and I rode my four or five laps and I was hooked. TPM is a good group of people who genuinely love what they do and it shows.

Now if I could just convince them to schedule a Barber,Road Atlanta week in February..... :ride:

NYCSTRIPES
05-10-2007, 01:20 AM
+1 for only riding with TPM. I missed the "try the track day" with Dano and my other friends, but the story they told me afterwards was enough to get my attention. After making my ART basic class in 2003, I fully admit I have another addiction.

TPM has been very good to me, they delivered on providing me with a safe environment to learn to ride on the track and a great group of people run it.

I am with Dan, I would love to see a Winter date somplace warm..the bike show is not enough to break the winter depression.
Ken

Ant
05-10-2007, 06:31 AM

Dude, that thing's been everywhere! I just make sure the tires are inflated and the bearings are greased.

HondaGalToo
05-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Qetesh, I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience with NESBA. I'm going to probably do my first day with them at the Beave July 14/15.
I rode with Reduc for years and found them to be really great, but they're gone. STT has been ok, but the guy running the east events is pretty new at it, so the first year he did it was pretty disorganized, but hopefully he's improving. I would like to try a TPM day too, hopefully this season, as I hear so many good things about them on this board. I remember Glen, from way back when he was a Reduc member. :roflmao:

tommymac
05-10-2007, 01:24 PM

its hard enough gettng him out of and keeping him outof the white group, now you want him to go somewhere else.:roflmao:

I have only ridden with TPM so I cant comapre it to anything. For the track days themselves i think they put on a great event, but have disagreed with some of the business practices in the past, athough this year they have done quite a bit based on rider input which is a very good thing. (now bring back the giveaways:ride: ) I too am kinda bummed with the schedule this year, but thats just more so becasue things dont mesh well with work and other things i have to do and yo ucant help that. I do wish they would get back to loudon and nelson ledges.

Tomorrow I will ride pocono with NYSBC so then I can give some more input on what my likes and dislikes are.

lateapex
05-10-2007, 01:26 PM
you've seen my little VW and my even littler welfare trailer. besides, i dont trust any of you enough to share a hotel room with..... sleepwalk my ass.:roflmao:

We run with a 94 Saturn Station wagon with 200,000 miles and 2 bike trailer, that has been to Nelson, Mosport, CMP and all points in between. Rolls at 75 mph and gets 28mpg towing the trailer. I just picked up a 92 Cavalier station wagon and trailer and plan on running that everywhere I can. Keep it well maintained and you'll be good.

I rode with STT at Mid-Ohio in the advanced group and the paddock felt just like a TPM event but with differnet people on staff. One friend rode the Intermediate group and found the coaches helpful and polite. The staff was great to us, even with TPM colors and stickers on all our bikes. We had a nice conversation with Monte at the end of the weekend and a had a great experience with them. I even paid $20, actually $23 ($3 tip) for a tire mounting. I'd do a STT day again.

lateapex
05-10-2007, 01:30 PM
What the problem with the TPM schedule? It's basically the same as last year but with some Saturday or Monday taken off at some VIR events, plus they added Calabogie dates.

tommymac
05-10-2007, 01:39 PM
What the problem with the TPM schedule? It's basically the same as last year but with some Saturday or Monday taken off at some VIR events, plus they added Calabogie dates.

For me its no loudon, and for the month of july I cannot take any vacation time at work so that limited my choices, along with other personal events that are going on. It does seem like more people arent too thrilled with this years schedule for some reason.

Tom

soda7o
05-10-2007, 01:43 PM
speaking of those try a track days.. can i just roll up there with my bike and get on the track (after regestering ofcourse)?

ffejtable
05-10-2007, 01:46 PM

The only VIR S/S/N event is a Premier event on N. They had at least 2 least year, and the year before (memorial day weekend and last weekend of July), and probably one other. If i make it to VIR this year its going to be a Patriot/North weekend, bah humbug.

The canada days dont work for me because well, I need to clear up paperwork. ;) And shannonville is just horrible, not sure why they decided to visit that place again, the surface is horrible.

Some people seem to really like the schedule (Omar says he loves it)... It just doesnt work well for me at all, with the VIR dates being the biggest issue.

And I agree with most of the comments on the CRs with TPM. They have been great with me, and are always available if you need them.

tommymac
05-10-2007, 01:49 PM
The only VIR S/S/N event is a Premier event on N. They had at least 2 least year, and the year before (memorial day weekend and last weekend of July), and probably one other. If i make it to VIR this year its going to be a Patriot/North weekend, bah humbug.

The canada days dont work for me because well, I need to clear up paperwork. ;) And shannonville is just horrible, not sure why they decided to visit that place again, the surface is horrible.

Some people seem to really like the schedule (Omar says he loves it)... It just doesnt work well for me at all, with the VIR dates being the biggest issue.

And I agree with most of the comments on the CRs with TPM. They have been great with me, and are always available if you need them.

My plan is to make all 4 days at south since its my new favorite course:ride: but I know others complained about that too. I also think loosing the beaver weekend in april hurt since now theres only one full weekend out there (although I may still go in sept too)

Tom

EvilSteve
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
its hard enough gettng him out of and keeping him outof the white group, now you want him to go somewhere else.:roflmao:
I think he has a plan to get back into the white group... :lol:

Cakes206
05-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I smell new title :nogood:

tommymac
05-10-2007, 03:42 PM

He just keeps changing bikes so he can go back down to white:roflmao:

Tom

opinion914
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
will u 2 pleeeeeeese refrain and let Lance have his post back....bunch of knob-ghoblins. Tom, we'll play next time were on the track together... my white days are done :(

SPRHK
05-10-2007, 04:37 PM
NESBA AND CORNERSPEED. nesba because they have the schedule that works best for me. Cornerspeed because they are the safest, most organized track clubs Ive been too. In 5 yrs, I only saw an ambulance roll once. And to ride with them you need to have an accreditted school under your belt. The only drawback is that all thier trackdays are VIR or farther south. The big PLUS is they run the VIR GRAND COURSE!!:nod2: :nod2:

EvilSteve
05-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Isn't Cornerspeed going to Watkins Glen this year?

I like TPM because they were organized but not bureaucratic. I'm probably going to go back and do ART Level II. The coaches were cool (hi Omar!) and felt like they were all pretty happy. I'm thinking about going to Cornerspeed at some point too.

will u 2 pleeeeeeese refrain and let Lance have his post back....bunch of knob-ghoblins. Tom, we'll play next time were on the track together... my white days are done :(
Maybe you need a new bike now... or put a few hard passes on people... :lol:

Kennedy
05-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Unless you're a jackass the minute you roll your bike off of the trailer/truck/station wagon whatever the hell you drive you are part of the TPM family and welcomed with open arms. Thats why I chose TPM

Surfinglbi23
05-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I ride with Nesba ... they have a try the track thing too, 2 20 minute morning sessions for free. They only charge 75 for the membership fee, you don't get nickel and dimed with a ton of different fee schedules with added benefits, they run tracks I can get to ... definitely looking to try TPM this year but I book last minute so not too psyched about having to buy a more expensive membership to avoid those late fee's ... I will post once i actually make it out there ... maybe this thursday at Pocono FUSA ??

Mike295
05-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I have ridden with a couple different clubs. I think it comes down to bells and whistles. All of the track clubs run the same tracks so the nitty gritty of riding is all the same. It comes down to the service off the track that one would prefer.

I have seen TPM grow from a very small "Pocono" track day to where it is now. The one constant that I see with TPM is they are always trying to improve their trackdays. They do take suggestions from members they dont just "run a day" they make it an event. I can only coment on them becasue they are really the only club I have gone to more then 2 times. But like i said it comes down to the off the track services.