PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point Main w/TPM - Friday, May 25

ronin_01r1
05-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I am registered and confirmed for this one. This will be my first time there. Anyone else going?

Any tips around the track from those who have been there before?

Good cheap places to stay? Any other advice?

Looks like a fun track!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/Summit-Point-Main.gif

http://www.negative-camber.org/jam149/images/tracks/sp_main.gif

Cakes206
05-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Summit Main is a great track. There are a few concrete patches but don't think about em, they have just as much grip as the rest of the track.

BurnCycle
05-01-2007, 12:20 PM
T1 is at the end of a 3000ft straight. In that 3000ft you could almost get fast enough to go to plaid; or at least hit ludicrous speed... Anyway. Right through T1 is a concrete strip that will unnerve you the first few times you hit it. In order to do T1 correctly you must enter at the head of the strip and continue through it. You WILL stick.

T2 is a continuation of T1 and a great place to pass slower riders on the outside. Most won't go to wide out of T1 and apex early into T2. A little extra time on the outside and you go by them very easily. You now a small straight up to T3

T3 is a right biatch of a left hand turn and will spook you a bit. Uphill and blind crested it is very tricky. When you want to straighten up its still bending but you can see that. Go wide and you're eating runoff, take it too tight and you'll lowside into the run off. But, once you have the hang of it you’ll be able to use all of the turn and do NOT be afraid to use the red/white rumble strip as extra track at the exit.

T4 is a fast downhill right and a great passing opportunity (just ask RyanNJ :LOL: ). Before you hit it though you had a small straight to pick up a lot of momentum as you left T3. All that momentum is going to be riding on your front wheel as you rush through T4. Don't F it up... That is a wall there with little run off. You can run a lot of speed through 4. More than a lot of people are willing to do.

T5 is another biatch of a left. If you thought the concrete was bad in T1 this is worse. But again, ride through it. DO NOT transition from concrete to pavement halfway through the turn. You will end up in the dirt as the front or rear slides out from under you. Ride through it and prep for T6/T7 at the end.

T6 is the beginning of a long right turn. The concrete in this turn is nothing compared to the others. Same rule though, drive through it. As you leave the concrete you’re continuing into T7.

T7 is of course a continuation of T6 but it is not concrete you need to worry about. If you're running a little wide you'll notice a lot of tar on the track. Don't go to high or you’ll see more tar than you’d like. You still need to go a little high to hit the apex of T7 though as the radius decrease and you need to stay tight to the right side to line up T8.

T8 is a simple left. After T7 you can gain a little more speed and enter T8 a bit hotter for the transition into T9.

T9 you should have a good momentum going for this turn. Do not take it any tighter than needed. As soon as you are past the apex stand the bike up head for the outside and power on. You now have a small straight before T10.

T10 can hold a lot of speed and will separate the men from the boys. In a race situation I down shifted once and never touched the brakes. Hit it right and you have all the momentum you need to hit some serious speed on the straight.

Wash, rinse and repeat.

Main is a fast track with a lot of intricacies that want to slow you down. Once you have those intricacies figured out it will only be you slowing you down (or so the fortune cookie told me).

Here is a video I did a few years back... http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/FollowMe.wmv

CBRBob
05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
Ronin, find me b4 you go out, I will show you the line :)

lateapex
05-01-2007, 01:10 PM

+1

Nice track description BurnCycle with that and following Bob will help. The transitions between the concrete and pavement are never a problem even in T5.

Ant
05-01-2007, 02:05 PM
I'll be there too. Redneck Tour 07!

ronin_01r1
05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Here is a video I did a few years back... http://www.mariposaderojo.com/mpg/FollowMe.wmv

DAMMMMMMMNN, awesome write up!! thank you!

woohoo! will do. :nod2:

RCM78
05-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I'll be there!!! I've been drafted into the redneck tour!!!

ronin_01r1
05-01-2007, 04:11 PM
where's a good place to stay?

CBRBob
05-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Look on the TPM Summit page.

Ryan NJ
05-02-2007, 11:24 AM
:roflmao: Burns definitely has this track figured. He even rides on the grass in turn 6:roflmao:

z-man
05-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Nicest place to stay New Hampton Inn

Cheapest plact to Stay Knights Inn - gross though

Middle of the road (70 bucks a night) Turf Motel (closest)

Best strip club Vixens (there are something like 20 of them within 15 miles of the track)

Best food, supposedly a new Japanese Steak house opened up right off of exit 5 on rt81.

I'll be there Friday so if anyone would like some help just let me know. I'll be there all weekend. Friday night out late (maybe Vixens) Saturday drink. Sunday and Monday Race!!!!!

Z

Ryan NJ
05-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Why is it that some of you guys stay outside of charlestown. I thought going through Charlestown is the most direct route not to mention the hotels are the closest hotels at 13-15 minutes drive. Am I missing out on a better area to stay?

RCM78
05-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Both winchester and martinsburgh have more going on. More hotel, more restaurants ect.

But there is a new holiday inn express open in ranson. I'm staying there this time.

Surfinglbi23
05-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I am in for this day ... staying at the Knights probably :)

ronin_01r1
05-23-2007, 11:16 PM
thanks for the housing tips guys! probably going to stay at the turf motel.

tommymac
05-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I'll be there!!! I've been drafted into the redneck tour!!!

I am sure they realy had to twist your arm:roflmao: There arent any concerts your wife wants to go to this weekend:roflmao:

BTW were going to miss symphony X in NYC tomorrow night.

Tom

Cecil
05-24-2007, 02:13 PM
DUDE! You're going to Symphony??? I want to go to that show so bad. Have you heard the new CD yet??? Paradise Lost totally friggin rules!!! I have a promotional copy of it. Best Symphony X disc ever!!! Way better than The Odyssey. "Set the World On Fire" and "Domination" totally rule. I hope they play them live. Gotta wait until later in the tour to see them.

I bet I could get home from Summit just in time for the show. Hmmmmmm

P.S. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Inwood. As close as you can get I think. $89 for the room. With tax it's $97 and will be split 3 ways. Not too bad.

RCM78
05-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Damn Cecil, Did you just creme your pants??

Tom, Tell Mike LePond I said hello...

njracer
05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
I'll be there too.....should be pulling in around noon to watch some of you fools and toss back some beers!

tommymac
05-26-2007, 10:36 AM
DUDE! You're going to Symphony??? I want to go to that show so bad. Have you heard the new CD yet??? Paradise Lost totally friggin rules!!! I have a promotional copy of it. Best Symphony X disc ever!!! Way better than The Odyssey. "Set the World On Fire" and "Domination" totally rule. I hope they play them live. Gotta wait until later in the tour to see them.

I bet I could get home from Summit just in time for the show. Hmmmmmm

P.S. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn in Inwood. As close as you can get I think. $89 for the room. With tax it's $97 and will be split 3 ways. Not too bad.

Obviously I didnt make the show (blame ralph for giving me a beer and chewing my ear off at the end of the day:roflmao: ) It took us about 5 hrs to get home so had w eleft prety early I could have tried to go but it would have beena stretch. I have seen them twice, once pening for queensryche and again at jones beach on, I think it was the gigantour with megadeth and dream theater and a bunch of other bands.

I did want to go since theres not too many shows comming up that I am intrested in seeing. (maybe ralph has an extra ticket for the police show:roflmao: )

Tom