PDA

View Full Version : Pocono Repave

Gigantic
04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
I got to ride Pocono East this weekend with Sportbike Track Time. I'm pleased to report that the rumored Pocono Repave is indeed reality. Unfortunately, it's a patch job, including a very, very large patch leading to the bus stop, which is now quite smooth. They've taken out a few of my favorite braking and turn-in markers, but I learned to adjust quickly, turning 1:16's all day sunday. Very few redflags all weekend and zero transports that I'm aware of.
One gripe is the patch in turn 11 has a dip that unloads the suspension mid-corner whilst fully leaned over that's kinda unsettling, but not so bad compared to what it fixed.
Lance

Kennedy
04-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Its a start!

Mike295
04-23-2007, 08:15 PM
you know it has been super cold out ... guess hell is starting to freeze over

Mike295
04-23-2007, 08:16 PM
I got to ride Pocono this weekend with Sportbike Track Time. I'm pleased to report that the rumored Pocono Repave is indeed reality. Unfortunately, it's a patch job, including a very, very large patch leading to the bus stop, which is now quite smooth. They've taken out a few of my favorite braking and turn-in markers, but I learned to adjust quickly, turning 1:16's all day sunday. Very few redflags all weekend and zero transports that I'm aware of.
One gripe is the patch in turn 11 has a dip that unloads the suspension mid-corner whilst fully leaned over that's kinda unsettling, but not so bad compared to what it fixed.
Lance

are you talking about the east course?

Gigantic
04-23-2007, 08:17 PM
are you talking about the east course?

yep.

Mike295
04-23-2007, 08:21 PM
yep.

when u talk about turn 11? what turn are you talking about? I dont know there are not that many turns

Gigantic
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
The left hander after the busstop, but before the decreasing radius turn.

RCM78
04-23-2007, 08:52 PM
That would be 9. There are only 10 turns on east...

Gigantic
04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
:doh: it's hard to tell whether the kinks are actually numbered turns or not... I've never seen a map with the turns labeled and numbered, so I had to guess. I'm not so good with math, either- there's a reason I got a fine arts degree in college. :ohmygod:

opinion914
04-24-2007, 07:23 AM
the dip in 9, is it on the inside of the turn or the outside? patches huh....:(
fusa is full of them too, wigs me out sometimes

NYCSTRIPES
04-24-2007, 10:50 AM
WOW, I would have lost money on a bet about them doing a nickel's worth of work on the East...I may just have to ride it this season. Thanks
for the update.
Ken

Gigantic
04-24-2007, 05:52 PM
the patch isn't so bad, but it is oon the inside, right in the middle of the line.
Ken, It's definitely been a dramatic improvement. I'll go again, for sure. Last year, I'd just about sworn off Pocono altogether.

NYCSTRIPES
04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
That is good news. I was not making too many plans to ride at Pocono either this season because of the conditions there. Hearing that the East is somewhat better will be a good thing. I can't plan all of my track days as road trips, it gets costly and chews up vacation time.
Ken

CBRBob
04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I still don't get why you all hate Pocono. It's not my favorite place but you trade a little bit of surface for location. The East course is a great layout, lots of fun. If you can't handle a few (now less) bumps, how will you ever handle them anywhere else?

Mike295
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Pocono is great. Its close its fun. but i will not even atempt to go there in april.

Mosport is a shitty track. I wont even think about going back there.

Gigantic
04-24-2007, 09:56 PM
For me, it wasn't just the bumps- one of my alltime favorite tracks is Grattan which is almost as bad as Pocono was... no, it's the squid-factor that put it over the edge for me; too many people riding way above their limit. Oddly enough, that wasn't much of an issue this past weekend. Only two red flags for both days in the Advanced group, coincidentally in the same session, Sunday, after lunch and no transports that I'm aware of either.

NYCSTRIPES
04-25-2007, 01:37 AM
I still don't get why you all hate Pocono. It's not my favorite place but you trade a little bit of surface for location. The East course is a great layout, lots of fun. If you can't handle a few (now less) bumps, how will you ever handle them anywhere else?

Bob,
maybe if I explain it this way it will not see like so much "hating" a towards Pocono.
I love that Pocono is less than 3 hours from me. I wish that they took better care of the infield. I like the layout of the East course but I am disappointed that the abuse the cars put to the asphalt degrades the quality of the ride there.

I like the layout of the East course as well as the FUSA and North courses. I believe the North is in the best shape of them all, but its the simplest of the three layouts that I like. FUSA got some much needed repairs last season with the two repair sections at the tunnel turn and the end of the back straight where the "turtle" used to be burried.

I think that every hobby that's worth is generally expensive. With that considered, I try to get the best bang for the buck and like to try different tracks as I can get to them. With the growing cost of participating in this sport, I would also like to see a decent facility for my $200+ track day.
I guess I can consider myself spoiled after getting to ride at VIR, Beaverun and
Summit Point. Summit has its track surface issues too, but compared to Pocono its still a world apart.

I guess I would put some effort into defending Pocono if they only spend a little time and effort in making some improvements to the layout of the East or FUSA layouts. Smoothing the terrain around the track so that anyone that runs off has a chance to not total the bike because they had the unfortunate luck to hit a pot hole in the grass after saving the possibilty of a crash.

I think its not too much to wish for and if they did some of this I would be more supportive of that facility.
See you Friday at FUSA.
Ken

HondaGalToo
04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
Bob,
maybe if I explain it this way it will not see like so much "hating" a towards Pocono.
I love that Pocono is less than 3 hours from me. I wish that they took better care of the infield. I like the layout of the East course but I am disappointed that the abuse the cars put to the asphalt degrades the quality of the ride there.

I like the layout of the East course as well as the FUSA and North courses. I believe the North is in the best shape of them all, but its the simplest of the three layouts that I like. FUSA got some much needed repairs last season with the two repair sections at the tunnel turn and the end of the back straight where the "turtle" used to be burried.

I think that every hobby that's worth is generally expensive. With that considered, I try to get the best bang for the buck and like to try different tracks as I can get to them. With the growing cost of participating in this sport, I would also like to see a decent facility for my $200+ track day.
I guess I can consider myself spoiled after getting to ride at VIR, Beaverun and
Summit Point. Summit has its track surface issues too, but compared to Pocono its still a world apart.

I guess I would put some effort into defending Pocono if they only spend a little time and effort in making some improvements to the layout of the East or FUSA layouts. Smoothing the terrain around the track so that anyone that runs off has a chance to not total the bike because they had the unfortunate luck to hit a pot hole in the grass after saving the possibilty of a crash.

I think its not too much to wish for and if they did some of this I would be more supportive of that facility.
See you Friday at FUSA.
Ken

+1 It also doesn't help that Pocono's attitude is such they they don't care whether or not a motorcycle turns a wheel on their courses. At least that's the answer they gave years ago when questioned about safety upgrades. I doubt their attitude has changed.

EvilSteve
04-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Wow am I ever psyched for my upcoming track day at Pocono East... *sigh*

Cakes206
04-25-2007, 11:22 AM
You mean Le Sigh...fuggin kangaroos :LOL:

tommymac
04-25-2007, 11:31 AM
+1 It also doesn't help that Pocono's attitude is such they they don't care whether or not a motorcycle turns a wheel on their courses. At least that's the answer they gave years ago when questioned about safety upgrades. I doubt their attitude has changed.

I am sure their attitude will change next year when thunderbolt opens in NJ. I am sure all the track clubs will shift the bulk of their dates there.

Tom

Ant
04-25-2007, 01:21 PM

It's not that bad in all honesty. Just ride and have fun.

NYCSTRIPES
04-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Steve
Pocono can still be a great time. There are just other facilities that do a bit more to keep the condition of the road surface in good shape.

After riding there for a couple of seasons, the small things become an issue. Don't worry, I am sure you will enjoy your track day there. Just be sure to make time to hit some of the other tracks listed on TPM's calendar so you can decide for yourself.

Remember a bad day at the track is still better than gong to work.
Ken

tommymac
04-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Steve
Pocono can still be a great time. There are just other facilities that do a bit more to keep the condition of the road surface in good shape.

After riding there for a couple of seasons, the small things become an issue. Don't worry, I am sure you will enjoy your track day there. Just be sure to make time to hit some of the other tracks listed on TPM's calendar so you can decide for yourself.

Remember a bad day at the track is still better than gong to work.
Ken

Another thing is he has nothing to compare it to. I rode art basic out at nelson ledges then came and rode pocono east a bunch of times. I thought it was a good track, then I had ridden VIR, Summit and Beaver a bunch of time and didnt have as much fun ( plus the last day my head wasnt in it for some reason)

Tom

ffejtable
04-25-2007, 07:13 PM

Pocono is seriously way better than riding the street.. That was my first impression when I went there for my first track day. My next event happened to be VIR, and I really didnt notice THAT much of a different in it being smoother, mostly because I was still horrendously slow.

By the time I hit Pocono again later in the year, I realized just how bad it really was and swore I would never go there again. At least not until they fixed it up a bit. I will probably give it another try, and I would like to run the "west" course as well if they are still doing it.

Gigantic
04-25-2007, 07:24 PM
It's better, really. Is it great? no, not exactly, but it's a great improvement, nonetheless. you should go before the cars have a chance to really screw it up.

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-29-2007, 06:38 PM
I've always had a special place in my heart for pocono. I always hear tons of complaints from people and I don't agree. The pavement is no where near as bad as everyone says, no where near it. I think there are other tracks, that the same people who complain about pocono rave about, that have a bumpier surface.
East, well honestly I like it alot, and I think it is probably the best track out there to take ART basic and learn on. Large variety of turns, not out of control and intimidatingly fast, and a great view of the entire track when spectating. and still a fun ass layout when you pick up the speed.
FUSA, one of my favorite layouts, lots of fun
North, my least favorite pocono layout, but it's still OK.
The only drawback versus the "nicer" tracks is a lack of elevation changes, but once again that makes it a better place for new guys to learn on (specifically east)
Plus Pocono has Garages!!! how many other places can boast that!

ffejtable
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
I love you omar but I have to disagree with ya.. Maybe you know better lines to take, but the last time I was out there it was if the bumps were strategically placed just before every turn as I am trying to settle the bike/suspension. I believe the 96 is the only bike I had on that track, and the suspension does have a bit to be desired...

Shannonville is actually about as bad as pocono, and an 8 hour drive.

CBRBob
04-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Pocono has some great layouts and I always have a whole lot of fun when I am there despite the bumps which arent that bad anyway. If you can't read a track and learn to deal with bumps, you won't know how to handle them when you are on a smooth track and go offline and start running over those bumps. The best thing is its close and a day at the track. :)

carl_g
04-30-2007, 10:22 AM
The run off to me is scary as hell but I always had fun there...even when I got knocked out. :thumbup:

FDNYDANO18
04-30-2007, 10:44 AM
I like pocono for the layout...I have fun there.
My only real gripe is that for those who happen to go off road.....it can get UGLY due to the total lack of SMOOTH runoff.

ps: I've yet to experience this personally....just witnessed it :doh:

EvilSteve
04-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Well, I'm glad they've repaved (some) and thanks for everyone's comments but I'm really not looking forward to the track day. To be honest, when I think about it, I ride bumpy-ass roads most of the time anyway so I don't think that'll bother me too much (once I work out where they are). I'm more concerned about dumping my bike not to mention people saying that they don't want to ride street anymore after going to the track. In spite of the dangers, I like riding on the street.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm just being a whiny bitch here and I apologize for these several seconds that you guys won't ever get back.

carl_g
04-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, I'm glad they've repaved (some) and thanks for everyone's comments but I'm really not looking forward to the track day. To be honest, when I think about it, I ride bumpy-ass roads most of the time anyway so I don't think that'll bother me too much (once I work out where they are). I'm more concerned about dumping my bike not to mention people saying that they don't want to ride street anymore after going to the track. In spite of the dangers, I like riding on the street.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm just being a whiny bitch here and I apologize for these several seconds that you guys won't ever get back.
How about some wine with that cheese! :doh: :LOL:

EvilSteve
04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
:lol:

douchebag :P

Cakes206
04-30-2007, 12:25 PM

You forgot to start with "Hey Mate,..." :roflmao:

Rev
04-30-2007, 12:32 PM

I'm on you with this. I'm so scared of dumping my baby...If I can afford to get a $1000 bike and use that for track, that's another story..

EvilSteve
04-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Oh, and just so you know, I think the correct use of this phrase would have been:

"How about some cheese with that wine?"

You're still a douchebag... :P ;)

I'm on you with this. I'm so scared of dumping my baby...If I can afford to get a $1000 bike and use that for track, that's another story..
Yeah, I wouldn't mind getting a track bike but to be honest, I'd prefer to spend that $1k on a dirt bike.

opinion914
04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
You'll be fine Evil, you are already quicker than most of the white group so dont worry about that. Picture your ability to ride, turn it DOWN 10% and have fun. its not a race, its about getting together and doing some laps. period.

EvilSteve
04-30-2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah, I know dude, I'm doing Art Basic anyway so it really is just a training course, I'm not even sure why I'm feeling uncomfortable, just trying to work out why when this should be really exciting.

opinion914
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
i remember my first time, i was so humbled and in awe, not to mention tired and cranky, that i told myself trackdays werent my thing. but the seed was planted for me and it will be for you too probably. that being said...whos cooking . NOT IT !!!!

Cakes206
04-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm not even sure why I'm feeling uncomfortable, just trying to work out why when this should be really exciting.
Because not having done it yet, you don't know what to expect. The anticipation behind the whole experience can be nerve racking. Bill Sink is the coach for ART Basic, hes an awesome coach and will have you guys up to speed in no time. You'll see, just relax and have fun.

EvilSteve
04-30-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Joe, I think if I start looking at this like the training session that it is, I'll probably be more comfortable.

carl_g
04-30-2007, 03:16 PM
dude don't think about it too much just go with an open mind and you will have a blast.

If you get a dirt bike or are looking for one let me know I might be able to point you towards some good bikes :)

AfricanBootyScratcher
04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
What day you doing basic steve?

EvilSteve
05-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Sunday 5/6

Gigantic
05-02-2007, 10:21 PM
so are the rest of you crybabies going this Sunday? I just got an in at the last minute...
Lance

EvilSteve
05-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll be there, bring some tissues... ;)

carl_g
05-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Have fun be safe!:ride:

DubbleRNR
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Did the East course yesterday and thought the re-pave was a vast improvement!

CBRBob
05-07-2007, 05:01 PM
I think it would be much better for cars. The section going into the bus-stop bumpy or not is the same on a bike. The square patch in the bus-stop is better than the hole that was there. The seam at the beginning of the turn near the end was ok unless you were flying through there, then it was more of a dip. So overall, i'd say it's the same. Smoother but seams. I did like that the big bump by pit-out was fixed but the one on-line right after it was still there.

opinion914
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
I did like that the big bump by pit-out was fixed but the one on-line right after it was still there.

i miss that dip, use to get on the pegs and apply the brakes at the same time the front suspension became compressed from the bike landing the dip, you crazy blue riders still get air there though, even with the patchjob.

CBRBob
05-07-2007, 05:50 PM
you crazy blue riders still get air there though, even with the patchjob.

Shhh, don't give away all the fun stuff!

NYCSTRIPES
05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure when I am going to hit the East course again, but I will look forward to running it again now that it has had some repair work.
Ken

Bster13
05-08-2007, 10:57 AM
EvilSteve- were you pitted with a bunch of Blue-Bibbed ART riders? Close to the track fence with a HUGE trailer meant for cars? I wanna say u could fit 6 bikes on that trailer. :o) If so, I was right next to you guys with an orange/black R6 and my buddies from: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hooligang

RE: the repave...I think it eliminated the bumps going into the bus stop, but those didn't bother me much b4...and the little repave going past pit-out to T1 was a wash, I still am standing on the pegs there to absorb the bumps. I definitely DID NOT like the repave coming out of the bus stop and ending right after turn in for the left hand kink/turn. It took me 1/2 a day to go through there smoothly, but in talking with some coaches and Glen we all had the same idea...Yes u'll be leaned over going through there, but if u get your bike quick-turned and go over the bump with no more steering inputs and maintenance throttle it's was ok., once over the bump u can get on the juice again. All other things constant (same bike, same skill) I bet laps times were slower if I had to take a guess with the repave. *shrugs*

I had a nice time, was good to get my groove back. As usual Omar helped me get my learn on. :cheers: I hope the guy who went into the nascar wall with his R1 makes a full recovery. *gulp*

EvilSteve
05-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, that was us. A friend of mine's dad does up old cars and the trailer wasn't perfect but it worked really well for us. Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet dude. There were 3 basic guys, two whites and one red in my group of friends. Mr Opinion914 is not only a stand up guy but got bumped to red at the end of the day, he was with us too. We had the 620 monster, '05 R6, Aprillia Futura, 749, CBR 600 (777) and my bike with the crappy-crappy gray plastics and fingerprints all over it.

Given that I'd never been to that track before (or any for that matter), the worst section for bumps was coming onto the back straight IMO. There were bumps just as I was turning in which kind of sucked. The ripples before the bus stop were also a bit disconcerting but not that big a deal. The dip right after the back straight was kind of awkward but not too bad once you knew it was there. lol