PDA

View Full Version : Another workout Queston...

njf4i
04-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Well i use to belong to a gym but gave that up do to not enough $$$ or time. I'm not looking to get built or ripped. My job entitledes me to lift 50lb weights all day, so i have decent small arms, good neck and nice back. My problem is the small beer gut that i have gotten over the years.

I'm not the greatest eater, but i am trying to stay more to chicken and what not verses mcdonalds. What i want to do is get rid of my gut. If i keep trying to eat better then fast food and start eating a lil healthy, can i get rid of my gut by running. I can't do the gym thing, i can't eat 6 small meals a day do to my schedule. What i want to know is , if i eat some what healthy and run every other day will i loose the gut.

If not then just let me know what i can do to loose it.

Thanks joe, and jay in advance....

ImmaSquashYou
04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
yes you will. Get one of the sweat belts that go around your waist. I joined the RETRO fitness gym around my house. REALLY cheap. Not sure if its still available at its price now, but i paid $80 sign up fee i think and $19.99 a month for life. And it also depends on how much beer you drink. You might just end up with it not getting bigger being the result if you do drink that much.

Kennedy
04-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Dude you don't even have to run, if you have a treadmill or something in your house....if not just powerwalk! no less than 30 minutes because at 20 minutes your body just begins to start burning fat, giving you 10 minutes of fat burning calories....Eat right, cut out the mcdonalds bk taco bell to once a week.

I can guess alot of that belly is water weight from all the brewskies you drink too!

Cakes206
04-16-2007, 06:00 AM
My problem is the small beer gut that i have gotten over the years.
You just answered your own question.

Jay
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
You just answered your own question.

Yup.

In order of importance:

1) Diet
2) Rest
3) Cardio
4) Weights

Clean your diet up, cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach 3-4 times weekly and you'll be good to go.

Cakes206
04-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Another tip...try this for one month...take out all alcohol, bread, and pasta from your diet...just 30 days and watch what happens...

Jay
04-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Another tip...try this for one month...take out all alcohol, bread, and pasta from your diet...just 30 days and watch what happens...

I'll go one step further on that:

Replace the bread with oatmeal, rice, or sweet potatoes/red potatoes

soda7o
04-16-2007, 01:00 PM

BUT its so hard!!!!!!!!!

Jay
04-16-2007, 01:02 PM
BUT its so hard!!!!!!!!!

No its not...you have no idea what "hard dieting" is. :nopity:

soda7o
04-16-2007, 01:02 PM
No its not...you have no idea what "hard dieting" is. :nopity:

yes i DO.. i once dropped 60lbs in about 6 to 7 months...

but since than my willpower hos gone down the drain...

Jay
04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
yes i DO.. i once dropped 60lbs in about 6 to 7 months...

but since than my willpower hos gone down the drain...

thats nice...i went from 245 to 215 in 5 weeks.

soda7o
04-16-2007, 01:11 PM
thats nice...i went from 245 to 215 in 5 weeks.

you are a maniac and i am not..:) plus yougo ot the gym liek 3 times a day.. i bearlyhave time to squeez in like an hour and a half

Cakes206
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
BUT its so hard!!!!!!!!!

No its not...
+1 it is what you make of it...and a small sacrifice for the outcome.

Jay
04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
+1 it is what you make of it...and a small sacrifice for the outcome.

Exactly.

I tell people the same thing, you need to get over the first few weeks before you get into a zone.

Once you start seeing results it becomes addicting.

njf4i
04-16-2007, 05:19 PM

Wow thats a hard thing for me. I'm italian so i bleed pasta and bread, and we all know i like my beer.

So i guess its cutting down on the carbs to get that stomach down. How can i not eat bread during the day? I really don't make the time to bring my food to work. I'm on the road all day long and its hard to find things to eat. Should i be eating more salads for lunch? Maybe just chicken with some kind of topping for lunch?

Also is it ok if i still eat my nature valley whole grain bars in the morning with coffee. Or do i have to watch what i drink also. I'm one of those hardcore soda drinkers.

One other question, i know its the beer that has carbs and calories. But if i went out for a drink with friends, could i drink like a captain and coke or vodka sprite instead of all the beer? Or is just booze a killer know matter what?

Oh and one more thing. Going back to me not wanting to do the gym thing. I lift 50lb weights all day for my career so i don't need that build, and don't want to be huge. So if i run/walk for 30 mins a day, will that be good enough? Or should i walk/run for atleast an hour?

Thanks for all the info guys...

PitsVtec
04-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Sit-ups....

High_Revs_17
04-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Nick - :drink: = :cry:

They're right though Nick, cut out all the crap and the pounds will drop. You don't even really have to work out cuz you're active at work all day, the right diet is key. I've started dieting as well, basically cutting out all the garbage except for cheating a day or two on the weekends and I already lost 8 pounds in the past week and a half. Also quit smoking too bro, we all want ya to live longer. ;)

shadoxkila
04-16-2007, 10:01 PM

That is dam near impossible, and the reason y i don't have a friggin 6 pack...I'm italian and i like beer....DAM YOU!!!!!

Jay
04-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow thats a hard thing for me. I'm italian so i bleed pasta and bread, and we all know i like my beer.

So i guess its cutting down on the carbs to get that stomach down. How can i not eat bread during the day? I really don't make the time to bring my food to work. I'm on the road all day long and its hard to find things to eat. Should i be eating more salads for lunch? Maybe just chicken with some kind of topping for lunch?

Also is it ok if i still eat my nature valley whole grain bars in the morning with coffee. Or do i have to watch what i drink also. I'm one of those hardcore soda drinkers.

One other question, i know its the beer that has carbs and calories. But if i went out for a drink with friends, could i drink like a captain and coke or vodka sprite instead of all the beer? Or is just booze a killer know matter what?

Oh and one more thing. Going back to me not wanting to do the gym thing. I lift 50lb weights all day for my career so i don't need that build, and don't want to be huge. So if i run/walk for 30 mins a day, will that be good enough? Or should i walk/run for atleast an hour?

If you are concerned about not having a build you will need to hit the weights. I know alot of ppl who did the diet/cardio thing with no weights and eventually ended up weight training because they just turned into a skinny bag of bones.

Alcohol is alcohol bro. It increases estrogen levels in the body of men and temporarily shuts off the bodie's fat burning abilities. I haven't had a drink in 4 months to give you an idea.

Sit-ups....

Will do nothing without proper diet and cardio. Hell the only time i ever work abs SERIOUSLY is when i prep. Bulking they are worked maybe twice a week.

njf4i
04-17-2007, 06:22 PM
If you are concerned about not having a build you will need to hit the weights. I know alot of ppl who did the diet/cardio thing with no weights and eventually ended up weight training because they just turned into a skinny bag of bones.

Alcohol is alcohol bro. It increases estrogen levels in the body of men and temporarily shuts off the bodie's fat burning abilities. I haven't had a drink in 4 months to give you an idea.

Will do nothing without proper diet and cardio. Hell the only time i ever work abs SERIOUSLY is when i prep. Bulking they are worked maybe twice a week.

I'm not concerned about a huge built body. But i do want to start getting into shape. I'm starting to plan my diet now. Gonna try to run atleast 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks and then increase from there. Any diet points will def be apreciated.

So far i got:

Breakfast: nature valley granola bar, 1 cop of coffee, and i'm thinking of giving up the soda for vitamin water or just regular old plain yucky water. Oh and if i get up early enough i may do the bowl of oatmeal that you said to do.

Snack: I'm gonna try and by fruit and bring it with me (apples, bananas, carrots and etc>)

Lunch: Im gonna try to do mostly salads or i heard that eating a wrap is better then having bread for a sandwich. So hopefully thats true.

Dinner: I have no clue yet. But i have a couple of ways to cook chicken (of course not breaded) and i'm gonna be looking into cooking ham steaks, or regular steak. Just gonna cut out the bagel bites, taquitos, and crap that i usually eat.

Anything else i could look into for food wise?

I'm not sure if need to give up bread 100%, but maybe switching to whole wheat, and less of it will be a good start. Also gonna try and limit it the soda to one a day (pref drinking the coke zero) no more chips during the day.

Oh and if it goes well i may finally kick the smoking habit. But that is gonna be the hardest part of it all.

Kennedy
04-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Looks good nick......try this diet ;)

Meal 1: Pro/Carb 9:30 a.m

4 hard-boiled eggs 17g Protein, .3g Carbs, 3.7g Fat

38g of whey protein 21g protein, 16g Carbs, 4.5g Fat

1/2 cup of oats = 5g Protein, 27g Carb, 3g Fat

43g protein / 43.3g carbs / 10.7g fat

Meal 2: Pro/Fat 11:30 a.m.

1 can of tuna 15g Protein, 0g Carbs, 1g Fat

1 tbsp of flax seed oil 0g Protein, 0g Carbs, 14g Fat

36g Protein/ 16g Carbs/ 19.5g Fat

Meal 4: Pro/Fat 1:00 p.m.

2 Cans of Tuna, 1 Tbsp Full Fat Mayonnaise, 1.5 cup romaine lettuce with tomatoes

30g protein / 2g Carbs / 15g Fat

Meal 3: Pro/Carb 2:30 - 2:45 p.m.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast

1.5 cup white rice (Measured Cooked)

55g protein / 55g carbs / 3g Fat

Workout 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.

Meal 5: PWO 5:15 p.m.

75g of whey protein / 70g of Dextrose

41g protein / 86g Carbs / 9g fat

Meal 6: PPWO 5:30-6:30 p.m.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 1.5 cup White Rice (Measured cooked)

50g Protein / 67.2 Carbs / 3g Fat

Meal 7: Pro/Fat 9:00 p.m.

Lean Protein of my choice (chicken, beef, venison etc), 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter

50g protein / 5g carbs / 16g fat

Meal 8: Before Bed 10:30 p.m.

2 Scoops of Whey Protein, 1.0 Tbsp. Flax Seed Oil

41g protein / 16g carbs / 23g Fat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

346g Protein/ 295g Carbs/ 96g Fat. = 3300calories(approx.)

1,346 Kcal/Protein
1100 Kcal/Carbs
864 Kcal/ Fat

3,310 Kcal Total

PSYCHO1000R
04-17-2007, 08:02 PM

2 Cans of Tuna, 1 Tbsp Full Fat Mayonnaise, 1.5 cup romaine lettuce with tomatoes

Lean Protein of my choice (chicken, beef, venison etc), 2 Tbsp Natural Peanut Butter

1,346 Kcal/Protein
1100 Kcal/Carbs
864 Kcal/ Fat

3,310 Kcal Total

be carefull with all that tuna, mercury overload

Kennedy
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Conscious of that thanks working on a way to cut it down to only 2 cans a day.

Cakes206
04-18-2007, 08:59 AM

1,346 Kcal/Protein
1100 Kcal/Carbs
864 Kcal/ Fat

3,310 Kcal Total

Seems like your dietary intake per day is a little high, especially for being natural. Theres only so much the human body can use to its potential before it starts storing as fat. Theres also risk of Gastritis, undigested Protein getting trapped in the intestin(happened to someone I know and he was forced to a 800 cal a day diet for a while to clear it up.) Heres a good basic guide line so that you don't go overboard: 1g Protein per body pound, 1g Carbs per body pound, .5g dietary fiber per body pound. So for instance a person weighing 200lbs would consume 200g Protein, 200g Carbs, 100g fiber. And some clean fats as well. Again, this isn't set in stone, depending on what you need to do, this formula can be tweaked.

Have to be careful when giving dieting advice. What works for one, may not work for someone else and can be doing them more harm depending on their body type. Before I give any type of dieting advice(which isn't every often) I have them write down EVERYTHING they eat and drink for one week, even down to the handful of M&M's that they might of had, that gives a basic start point as to what they look like compared to their diet.

Xracer264
04-18-2007, 11:24 AM

Nick,

Being Italian I feel the same way. Try replacing the pasta with whole wheat pasta. I've been cooking with turkey and chicken replacing beef for years. I do eat beef but not as frequently. I do some sort of cardio at least 3 times a day for 1/2 hour. Usually treadmill or eliptical. I'm pushing 41 and I basically the same weight I've been since my 20's. Actually less cause I don't work out as heavy as I once did. I guess another think I don't do and never did was drink alot. Just get a good balance of exercise, diet and rest. I use to eat alot like Jay and Kennedy but family and a job just made it really hard. Your not that far off so it shouldn't be that hard.

Gerard

Jay
04-18-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm not concerned about a huge built body. But i do want to start getting into shape. I'm starting to plan my diet now. Gonna try to run atleast 3 times a week for the first 2 weeks and then increase from there. Any diet points will def be apreciated.

So far i got:

Breakfast: nature valley granola bar, 1 cop of coffee, and i'm thinking of giving up the soda for vitamin water or just regular old plain yucky water. Oh and if i get up early enough i may do the bowl of oatmeal that you said to do.

Snack: I'm gonna try and by fruit and bring it with me (apples, bananas, carrots and etc>)

Lunch: Im gonna try to do mostly salads or i heard that eating a wrap is better then having bread for a sandwich. So hopefully thats true.

Dinner: I have no clue yet. But i have a couple of ways to cook chicken (of course not breaded) and i'm gonna be looking into cooking ham steaks, or regular steak. Just gonna cut out the bagel bites, taquitos, and crap that i usually eat.

Anything else i could look into for food wise?

I'm not sure if need to give up bread 100%, but maybe switching to whole wheat, and less of it will be a good start. Also gonna try and limit it the soda to one a day (pref drinking the coke zero) no more chips during the day.

Oh and if it goes well i may finally kick the smoking habit. But that is gonna be the hardest part of it all.

I think the problem is you still have simple carbs in there. Which are fine in small amounts since we don't want you to fall flat on your face.

Vitamin water is loaded with sugar, it tastes good, but no better then soda in my opinion.

Balance my friend, meals need balance.

more meals, just smaller.

Breakfast: Wheres the protein? Pick up a simple whey protein shake from vitamin shop. Shake, granola bar, coffee...i could live with that.

Snack: just fruit? wheres the protein? remember...balance. Why not some beef jerky with an apple?

Lunch: Wraps aren't bad, they aren't great but better then French Quarters Sandwich on italian bread from the deli. My personal fav in the offseason when i am more relaxed with my diet is a grilled buffalo chicken wrap. Granted the bleu cheese with the simple carbs is no good its alot better then alot of other things i could eat.

Dinner: Dude, its dinner. You are home. Take some time and make some food. Grilled chicken, fish, Turkey are all great. Bake a sweet potatoe in the oven, make some brown rice with vegetables.

Before bed: Have another shake, but just a shake with water. No milk.

Just cleaning up some things. thats all. you aren't gonna make leaps and bounds on this diet but it should work better for ya.

Oh and whether or not this works for ya, quit smoking. If not you can talk to my mother who is 5'7" 130 lbs. (not exactly fat) and had a heartattack at 49 years old. she smoked since she was 17....

she doesn't smoke anymore.

Jay
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Seems like your dietary intake per day is a little high, especially for being natural. Theres only so much the human body can use to its potential before it starts storing as fat. Theres also risk of Gastritis, undigested Protein getting trapped in the intestin(happened to someone I know and he was forced to a 800 cal a day diet for a while to clear it up.) Heres a good basic guide line so that you don't go overboard: 1g Protein per body pound, 1g Carbs per body pound, .5g dietary fiber per body pound. So for instance a person weighing 200lbs would consume 200g Protein, 200g Carbs, 100g fiber. And some clean fats as well. Again, this isn't set in stone, depending on what you need to do, this formula can be tweaked.

Have to be careful when giving dieting advice. What works for one, may not work for someone else and can be doing them more harm depending on their body type. Before I give any type of dieting advice(which isn't every often) I have them write down EVERYTHING they eat and drink for one week, even down to the handful of M&M's that they might of had, that gives a basic start point as to what they look like compared to their diet.

Yup, i agree with this. There are so many ways to diet. You also have to take into account someone's goals.

I would never put someone looking to just shed some pounds on my diet. I would never put someone who is 175 lbs. on my diet.

My diet right now that leaves me feeling like death and starving would probably seem like an enormous amount of food to someone not near my size.

Just the same, someone who is 70-80 lbs. overweight would never be able to live on my diet right now and would probably fail.

Too much protein can damage kidneys and your UT as well.

Cakes206
04-18-2007, 12:17 PM
Too much protein can damage kidneys and your UT as well.
Water is key here...have to keep the kidneys flushed.

Damn all this talk is making me want to compete again...damn you...hmmm, 2 more years I qualify for the Masters class :lol:

Ant
04-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Water is key here...have to keep the kidneys flushed.

Damn all this talk is making me want to compete again...damn you...hmmm, 2 more years I qualify for the Masters class :lol:

You mean the old people division? Kind of like Formula 40 with WERA. :LOL:

soda7o
04-18-2007, 01:20 PM

i was just about ot say that.. well except the wera ref.

njf4i
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I think the problem is you still have simple carbs in there. Which are fine in small amounts since we don't want you to fall flat on your face.

Vitamin water is loaded with sugar, it tastes good, but no better then soda in my opinion.

Balance my friend, meals need balance.

more meals, just smaller.

Breakfast: Wheres the protein? Pick up a simple whey protein shake from vitamin shop. Shake, granola bar, coffee...i could live with that.

Snack: just fruit? wheres the protein? remember...balance. Why not some beef jerky with an apple?

Lunch: Wraps aren't bad, they aren't great but better then French Quarters Sandwich on italian bread from the deli. My personal fav in the offseason when i am more relaxed with my diet is a grilled buffalo chicken wrap. Granted the bleu cheese with the simple carbs is no good its alot better then alot of other things i could eat.

Dinner: Dude, its dinner. You are home. Take some time and make some food. Grilled chicken, fish, Turkey are all great. Bake a sweet potatoe in the oven, make some brown rice with vegetables.

Before bed: Have another shake, but just a shake with water. No milk.

Just cleaning up some things. thats all. you aren't gonna make leaps and bounds on this diet but it should work better for ya.

Oh and whether or not this works for ya, quit smoking. If not you can talk to my mother who is 5'7" 130 lbs. (not exactly fat) and had a heartattack at 49 years old. she smoked since she was 17....

she doesn't smoke anymore.

Now that was the info i was looking for jay. I kind of got lost with kennedy's list of eating (maybe because i couldn't understand half of it). But i'm going shopping this weekend and gonna really start to put forth the effort. As it is now i have been cutting back on my bread, fast food, and crappy snacks this week. So i figure the only way i'm gonna do it is to buy the food and bring it every day to work.

Oh one thing that wasn't on the list? What about snacks between lunch and dinner, or snacks after dinner? Should i keep to the fruit and protein? What other things are good in protein besides beef jerkey? Or even better yet, do you recomend a book or internet site that would be more geared to what i'm looking to do. Which is to eat healthy, loose some gut and just get back into shape?

As for the smoking thing, i hear you completely. My father had 2 stents put in when he was 49 because of his smoking (started when he was 16), his bad diet, and large amount of stress from work. That didn't scare me to quit, but i know when i hit the gym last year it made me want to quit. So hopefully the cardio work, and eventually light lifting will force the issue again.

Also jay just one more thing. I had the opportunity to read your blog on myspace. I commend you for what your doing. Not alot of us know what it takes to do what you do, and to put yourself into "hell" like your doing is just amazing. I think that its awesome that your doing what your doing, reaching those goals, and i hope in the end your satisfied with your end result.

that is all for now.

Jay
04-19-2007, 11:13 AM

The masters class is over 35. Alot of guys though who are 40-45 still compete in the regular open divisions and clean up shop!

Lately there has been an influx of "young guns". Freaky big 21-24 year olds. Trey Brewer is 21 and well into the 300's in the offseason. Justin Harris is a 24 year old superheavyweight. Evan Centopani is on the doorstep of getting his pro-card at 24 years old as a superheavy.

However, the old rule of thumb is bodybuilders won't actually even enter their prime until 32-36 even older. It takes time to put on slabs of muscle.

Masters really means nothing for some of these guys into their 40's.

Now that was the info i was looking for jay. I kind of got lost with kennedy's list of eating (maybe because i couldn't understand half of it). But i'm going shopping this weekend and gonna really start to put forth the effort. As it is now i have been cutting back on my bread, fast food, and crappy snacks this week. So i figure the only way i'm gonna do it is to buy the food and bring it every day to work.

Oh one thing that wasn't on the list? What about snacks between lunch and dinner, or snacks after dinner? Should i keep to the fruit and protein? What other things are good in protein besides beef jerkey? Or even better yet, do you recomend a book or internet site that would be more geared to what i'm looking to do. Which is to eat healthy, loose some gut and just get back into shape?

As for the smoking thing, i hear you completely. My father had 2 stents put in when he was 49 because of his smoking (started when he was 16), his bad diet, and large amount of stress from work. That didn't scare me to quit, but i know when i hit the gym last year it made me want to quit. So hopefully the cardio work, and eventually light lifting will force the issue again.

Also jay just one more thing. I had the opportunity to read your blog on myspace. I commend you for what your doing. Not alot of us know what it takes to do what you do, and to put yourself into "hell" like your doing is just amazing. I think that its awesome that your doing what your doing, reaching those goals, and i hope in the end your satisfied with your end result.

that is all for now.

Try limiting the fruit bro. Its good and healthy and all but its still sugar. I would look toward protein and fat for snacks. Maybe some lightly salted peanuts, or almonds. You can always have a shake too. Just get creative. In the back of our minds we all know whats good and whats not lol.

www.bodybuilding.com

God forbid i recommend that site lol. anyway, its not really bodybuilding...its more like fitness. Which is good because you said you don't want to get too hardcore with the whole diet. they have some good basic diet info in their for you to take a look at.

I personally don't like the sight because the pass "fitness and dieting" information of as valuable bodybuilding knowledge. However, for someone who wants to learn the basics its good.

Thanks for the kind words man. I wrote that just so ppl have an idea. Not for sympathy but just so they know what its like. I hope i am satisfied in the end as well. Its not getting any easier by the way. Look for another update around 8 weeks out.