PDA

View Full Version : Commuting Gear

ffejtable
04-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I was fortunate with my last job in that it was close to home, speeds rarely exceeded 50mph and I could wear jeans to work. The new job is 45 miles from home, and I dont think jeans are an option.

I am looking for gear that I can wear over my work clothes and I can put on and take off easily (I dont have to take off my shoes, etc). There are tons of options out there and was hoping somebody had some actual experience with some of it. What to consider and what to avoid...

One of my concerns is excessive sweat on hot days. I'd rather not walk into work soaking wet.

Thanks!

RCM78
04-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Theres really only one choice. Aerostich Roadcrafter...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

Rock712
04-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Aerostich baby!!!!!! Its good up to 80-90 degrees then it gets hot. but that would be the same with any gear...

John712
04-08-2007, 09:01 AM
i would think anything you put over the clothes your going to wear to work would get wrinkled during the commute. im assuming slacks/dress pants.? dont know the dress code there. but you really cant wear loose or baggy, even then they might get wrinkled to.

maybe backpack your work clothes.?

ffejtable
04-08-2007, 09:44 AM
Roadcrafter looks like a great suit, but damn $750 is pricey!

A few other guys ride in.. Not sure who, but ive seen the bikes in the parking garage... I'll have to see what they do...

If the aerostich isnt good past 80, its not very useful to me. Many reviews said it was good up to 95+, but I think they were out west a bit where the humidity tends to be lower...

Gigantic
04-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Stitch- really the only option. They've got tons of veting options, too. give them a call- they can do just about anything you want.
$750 isn't much compared to what a custom set of leathers will do ya for.

ZeRo_C0oL
04-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Stitch- really the only option. They've got tons of veting options, too. give them a call- they can do just about anything you want.
$750 isn't much compared to what a custom set of leathers will do ya for.

Please don't ever use the number "$750" followed by the phrase "isn't much" again... Thanks.

I don't care who you are, or what your idea of "much" is. $750 is a lot of money. Maybe not in comparison to a $2500 leather suit, but $750 is still a LOT of money to the average Joe Shmoe.

shadoxkila
04-09-2007, 01:12 AM
ummmmmm, why don't you just drive your car? problem solved!

SAXON117
04-09-2007, 09:14 AM

who the hell wants to drive a car when you can ride?!

shadoxkila don't be a poser :LOL: j/k

tommymac
04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I would throw a collared shirt in my backpack and put it on when I got to work. Now on the overnights I get to wear scrubs so it doesnt matter. I was wearing either my perfed jacket or my heavier jacket depending on the temps. I now have a pair of textile pants I can wear over my regular pants but will soon be looking for a lighter pair for the warmer weather, if we ever get any :doh:

Tom

Tonupboy
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Roadcrafter is a grip for $750 bux...its nice, but lets be honest, not everyone has that loot.

I commute too so I usually wear khakis or wool knit pants and collared shirt underneath, but over it, I wear a JR Ballistic 5.0 padded pants, boots, and depending on the weather, leather or mesh jacket...sometimes I have a pair of regular shoes at work to change. Saves gas...lol

ffejtable
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM

thanks for the insight, im shocked i didnt think of that all by myself.

if i wanted to ride in my car, a) i wouldnt have asked the question to begin with and b) hell, i might as well just sell my bike.

05yamahahaha
04-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I commute from the Delaware Water Gap to Harrison every day. Take the bike as much as possible. I wear boots, draggin jeans and a leather or textile jacket. In my backkpack I carry my suit, shirt, tie and work shoes. I do the full change in the parking garage in about five minutes. People always ask how my suit doesnt wrinkle, just fold it carefully. The stitch looks nice. I'm thinking it would be hot, but so are the draggin jeans--with the underseat exhaust anythings gonna be hot.

Gigantic
04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Please don't ever use the number "$750" followed by the phrase "isn't much" again... Thanks.

I don't care who you are, or what your idea of "much" is. $750 is a lot of money. Maybe not in comparison to a $2500 leather suit, but $750 is still a LOT of money to the average Joe Shmoe.

Wanna know what's really expensive? try crashing in cheap gear! I don't get being willing to pay top dollar for a bike, then balk at the price of good gear. yeah $750 is a bit for an out of pocket expense, but factored into the total cost of motorcycle ownership, amortized over several years- which a Roadcrafter will last many, many years- it's not much overall. Just ask anyone that you know who's crashed lately if they wished they'd spent less money on their protective gear.

sonny
04-11-2007, 07:59 AM
I thought of the same thing. Commuting on the bike in a suit / dress gear.

I've come up with this conclusion:

Bring work clothes in for a week and change in the bathroom.
Thankfully, when I re-locate to Maryland, my new office will have a "gym" and showers / lockers. 45 miles is a bit far for just wearing bidness casual clothes and dress shoes.

Rock712
04-11-2007, 10:09 AM
FFEJ, also remember the 'Stitch is Volvo proof and highside proof!!!

Greenvetter
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Bought my "stich" today! Looking forward to wearing it out!:P

ffejtable
04-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Going to keep my eye on ebay.. one sold today on ebay for $455 in new condition but I wasnt home for the end of the auction and I dont really want to use any kind of proxy bidding service...

The dress shoes I can easily keep in a bag without worries of wrinkles... And i'd just keep a spare set of shoes at work.

I'll have to take a closer look at your suit rock and see what the hype is about in person. :)

will underarmor help with persperation?

Rock712
04-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Call Aerostich, and check their website if you you want to save a few buck (100-200) then see what they have in the cheapie bin.

Shelly
04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Ditto...my commute is 1 hr. It's bus. casual at work. Since it's chilly in AM still. I'll wear my underarmor pants and top w/ my leathers or mesh. I keep extra shoes at work and will just bring khaki's/pants to change into.

Ride in as often as I can to save a few buck$...gas prices are starting to go up again...I guess just in time for it to hopefully be warmer out.

ffejtable
04-18-2007, 09:10 PM
The weather should be cooperative on Friday so I plan on riding in... Jeans appear to be acceptable on fridays so it works out well.. I might try to get pants for now. I already have an alter ego, which is rather flexible when it comes to various riding conditions...

If I decide to go the aerostich route I should be able to pick one up on ebay for under $500 in new/like new condition...

Shell: My commute is 45 miles one way, and I drive a truck that gets 16mpg :( Taking the bike will save me a lot of moolah! (possibly up to $10/day!)

Sue
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Hey Jeff...

I rode to work with my gear over my clothes and just brought shoes to change into. I have to say my work clothes really weren't wrinkled too bad at all. It was no big deal other than taking off the gear and putting shoes on. :) Yea, gas prices are way up already so the bike will be grrrreat for saving gas $$. :)

Jon FZ1
04-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I wear a pair of Joe Rocket Pheonix pants in the summer or JR Ballistic pants in cooler weather or rain. I wear a JR Revolution Jacket year round with the liner from 30-65 and liner out with the vents open 65-100+.

I wear wrinkle resitant slacks and dress shirts when I ride to work and full blown business suits in the cage. I pack my dress shoes and my time in my back pack and change from my Sidi's at my office.

soda7o
04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
i throw ona pair of baggy jeans over my pants, and my jacked over my shirt...

but there have been days where i just rode in my full suit.. you knwo slacks, jacket, and tie flapping around... i commute to the city and usally lane split all the way to my job so my biggets concern is not saftety gear its keeping my work clothes clean.. there have been occasios where i get to work and i have grease all over my work clothes :( (lucly there is acentry 21 down the block.:) )

ffejtable
04-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.. So far so good, Ive just been wearing the JR Alter Ego and have a change of shoes at work.

I am ditching the tie, 4 weeks is enough, and nobody else wears them. We had a staff meeting yesterday, about 20 of us and I was the only one with a tie on, not even our director wears one.

I think my biggest concern is going to be swamp butt in the summer. :P

Cakes206
04-28-2007, 11:28 AM
I think my biggest concern is going to be swamp butt in the summer. :P

http://www.monkamoo.com/Intermediate%20Product%20Pages/Intermediate%20Graphics/Anti%20Monkey%20Butt/ambpowder.jpg

ffejtable
04-28-2007, 03:55 PM
OMG you've got to be kidding me Joe!

Cakes206
04-28-2007, 04:41 PM
OMG you've got to be kidding me Joe!
No I'm not, heard it works...Ron sells it. When I first saw it I was like :wtf: but people swear by it.

High_Revs_17
04-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Or you can just spray the trouble areas on your body with Right Guard Sport spray, it works and you don't have to shove any powder up your ass.