PDA

View Full Version : GSXR Pair Mod

Cakes206
05-18-2005, 08:48 PM
As most of you may know the crank case on a GSXR is vented through the air box. This is mainly for emissions control. The problem with venting the crank case into the air box is oil mist can/will travel into the air box, past the filter and into the air/fuel mixture, weakening the charge detonation. The Pair Mod bypasses the air box and vents though the exhaust. This will not only eliminate all chances of oil mist getting into and through the air box...but will also create negative pressure within the crank case...wich is always good for a pony or two...

This is how to do the pair mod on an 02 GSXR 750. The applications for the same generation 600 and 1K's is relatively the same.

Take off the tank. Take off the air box. Take off the hose that connects the crank case cover to the air box and cap off the opening left behind on the air box.

Pic 1 This is where the pair valve sits(removed in pic)
Pic 2 Size and part # of hose from Home Depot
Pic 3 "T" connector also from HD
Pic 4 Cap off the vacuume hose with a slightly larger screw. I don't recomend cutting the hose, just incase you want to turn it back to stock. You can see the hose comming out just by the #4 TB.
Pic 5 Crank case cover where hose connected to air box WAS.
Pic 6 Attach one end of NEW hose to crank case cover.
Pic 7 Connect other end to "T" connector...Your done.
Pic 8 Your end result should look like this...plain and simple. The clamps I had gotten were a tad to small so I used zip ties for now. But as tight as that hose is...it ain't goin nowhere...

DougZ
05-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Joe, have you done this on the SV1K?? If so, is it basically the same procedure??

What do you think of "desnorkling"???

Cakes206
05-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey Doug, I haven't really been able to get down n dirty with the twins so to speak yet...I've only done this on my Gix when I had it.

JasonB
06-02-2005, 04:00 PM
wait i dont get it :uh:

Cakes206
06-02-2005, 05:56 PM
wait i dont get it :uh:

What don't you get?

RacerGSX
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Hey Joe is this MOD done the same way for a 04 GSXR 600? I have been looking but have not found anything on it.

Commuta_Busa
08-03-2005, 04:48 PM
just make sure you always use reinforced hoses for the connections.

btw... good post cakes! :highfive:

Cakes206
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Hey Joe is this MOD done the same way for a 04 GSXR 600? I have been looking but have not found anything on it.

Hey Dan, not 100% sure on the 04's...take the tank and air box off and look to see if the pair valve is in the same spot, etc. Let us know...

Thanks Ken...

RacerGSX
08-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Okay I will do that

soda7o
08-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Okay I will do that
yeah find out.. if os illdo it ot the gix

Ripp53
08-05-2005, 06:38 PM
well if one of you guys with a 04 what to do it. let me know i can take one of your bikes apart and we can see if it's the same. and we can figer it out from there.

soda7o
08-05-2005, 07:00 PM
well if one of you guys with a 04 what to do it. let me know i can take one of your bikes apart and we can see if it's the same. and we can figer it out from there.

i can take it apart my slef i just dont want to unless itf for sure.. .other wise just waisting my time..

Ripp53
08-05-2005, 07:04 PM
the top have looks the same but i can't tell about the bottom have from the fichs.

sterling
08-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Boredom makes me take things apart....

I ran out in the garage and yanked my gas tank up and snapped this picture. Since I didn't take my airbox off, I am only assuming this is the correct hose. It runs from the crankcase to the airbox. This is from my 04 GSXR600.

Cakes206
08-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Boredom makes me take things apart....

I ran out in the garage and yanked my gas tank up and snapped this picture. Since I didn't take my airbox off, I am only assuming this is the correct hose. It runs from the crankcase to the airbox. This is from my 04 GSXR600.

Yup...thats it...like I mentioned, it's vented back through the air box for emissions :jerkit:

Gotta love how easy everything is to get to on a gix.

sterling
08-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Yup...thats it...like I mentioned, it's vented back through the air box for emissions :jerkit:

Gotta love how easy everything is to get to on a gix.

Sweet. Now I just need to get bored again while Home Depot is open so I can get some hose and clamps. :)

soda7o
08-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Sweet. Now I just need to get bored again while Home Depot is open so I can get some hose and clamps. :)

sterling take pics next when you do it.. i thinkill wait till it rainsor th einter to do it caus ei wanto tget as much riding in as possible..

sterling
08-05-2005, 11:28 PM
sterling take pics next when you do it.. i thinkill wait till it rainsor th einter to do it caus ei wanto tget as much riding in as possible..

Oh fine..make ME do all the work and take pics...why not just ride down here and I can do your bike at the same time....

;)
j/k bro..I'll take some pics as I go, but it'll probably be next weekend before I do this because my weekend is pretty much booked up.

soda7o
08-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Oh fine..make ME do all the work and take pics...why not just ride down here and I can do your bike at the same time....

sure ill ride down to you... its onlyabout 1100 miles away from Brooklyn NYC..:lol:

like i said i probably just doit when it gets cold.

sterling
08-05-2005, 11:36 PM
sure ill ride down to you... its onlyabout 1100 miles away from Brooklyn NYC..:lol:

like i said i probably just doit when it gets cold.

Thats the beauty of Florida..it doesn't really start to get cold here till about mid November, and even then it's not too cold to ride. We only have 2 seasons, Summer and January.

soda7o
08-06-2005, 12:01 AM
Thats the beauty of Florida..it doesn't really start to get cold here till about mid November, and even then it's not too cold to ride. We only have 2 seasons, Summer and January.

yeha but we ge tto go snow baording and do all winter activites right in our back yard.. i actually getto taouch snow so HA HA HA :omg: :omg:

:boogie: :boogie: :2finger: :sunburn: :leek: :taz: :pinochio: :partyblow :jam2: :flip: :bs2: :hyper: :banmac: :banmac: :banmac: :banmac:

just kididn i love FL weatehr i was at my place 2 years ago fo rnew years swimming fucking amazing shit while everyone in New York was freezing

sterling
08-06-2005, 08:59 PM
You can snowboard and freeze your ass off. I can surf and get eaten by a shark ;)

I've never even seen real snow, so I guess it's just one of those things that I don't miss because I've never experienced it.

Cakes206
08-07-2005, 06:58 AM
Whats this thread about again? :confused: ;)

sterling
08-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Whats this thread about again? :confused: ;)

It's about why living in Florida is better than living up north especially when you're doing the Pair mod on an 04 GSXR600. :nod2:

soda7o
08-08-2005, 11:11 AM
You can snowboard and freeze your ass off. I can surf and get eaten by a shark ;)

I've never even seen real snow, so I guess it's just one of those things that I don't miss because I've never experienced it.

i cant believe it... u never seen real snow :wow: :wow: dude wher ei gre up we had like 5 feet os snow all the time ( siberia) lol and i surf too well atleast i try but we have no waves here...

sorry cakes pair mod pair mod pair mod...

DougZ
08-21-2005, 08:47 PM
Joe, the hose you cap off in Pic #4, where does the other end of that hose connect to???

I am in the middle of swapping the motor in the track bike, and don't see the hose anywhere.

Ripp53
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Joe, the hose you cap off in Pic #4, where does the other end of that hose connect to???

I am in the middle of swapping the motor in the track bike, and don't see the hose anywhere.

that hose comes from the thottlebodys to the air box.pull it off the air box and cap that end.

Duff750
09-08-2007, 04:31 PM
NOTE: 3/8in fuel hose will NOT work... Went to home depot and they claimed the don't sell rubber hose, only vinyl hose. Went to Auto Zone and got some, and it turns out you need hose with a 3/8in hole, not 3/8 actual diameter of hose.

Cakes206
09-08-2007, 04:46 PM
NOTE: 3/8in fuel hose will NOT work... Went to home depot and they claimed the don't sell rubber hose, only vinyl hose. Went to Auto Zone and got some, and it turns out you need hose with a 3/8in hole, not 3/8 actual diameter of hose.
Fuel hose? Air hose like for compressors was originally used. Home Depot might not carry it anymore as it was originally done 5 years ago. The pic showes 3/8" ID...Inner Diameter man :lol: It is a tight fit though...just how I likes it :3smilies

Duff750
09-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I didn't know what ID meant, lol.

07gixxer750
10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
what about doing the mod on a bike newer than 05 that has a sensor hooked up 2 the pair valve? any sugestions? I tore my 07 750 apart and then realized that all the write ups are for bikes 05 and older. any help would greatly be appreciated.

High_Revs_17
10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Providing the sensor's mounted in a similar location with the modified hosing I don't see why there should be any sensor trigger issues.

what about doing the mod on a bike newer than 05 that has a sensor hooked up 2 the pair valve? any sugestions? I tore my 07 750 apart and then realized that all the write ups are for bikes 05 and older. any help would greatly be appreciated.

CBRBob
10-31-2007, 09:57 PM
Is it a sensor or is it a solenoid? On the Honda's, there is a solenoid valve that opens the air passage. On them you unplug it, remove the system and cap the airbox and 2 ports on the valve cover with rubber caps. I would assume the suzi would be the same.

07gixxer750
11-05-2007, 09:38 PM
So i had 2 find my own way 2 get it 2 work, so to speak. i used the same hoses from the pair valve, and put a 1/2" connector between the 2. As for the hose from the crank case to the air box, i eliminated the hose completely and put a breather on the crank case, and capped the hole in the air box. any questions pm me or email me at 07gixxer750@gmail.com

High_Revs_17
11-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Good move, can never go wrong with a crank case breather, they just need to be cleaned a few times a season, installed one on my bike and it worked great.

So i had 2 find my own way 2 get it 2 work, so to speak. i used the same hoses from the pair valve, and put a 1/2" connector between the 2. As for the hose from the crank case to the air box, i eliminated the hose completely and put a breather on the crank case, and capped the hole in the air box. any questions pm me or email me at 07gixxer750@gmail.com

CBRBob
11-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Put the hose from the crankcase vent to the airbox back on. You want negative pressure in the engine as much as possible. You read about how 'improved crankcase design drops pumping losses'. All that means is they found a better way for the air to move from the underside of one piston to the other easier. If you make a vacuum in the crancase, there is less air for the bottom of the piston to push against, hence, less power lost, and no oil drool on the outside of the engine.

One trick you will find in dragracing is that they have several vacuum pumps on the crankcase to gain power. Keeping the hose to the airbox helps, there is nothing to be gained by removing it.

Leave the pair on a stock muffled bike. There is no performance gain by removing the pair. The only benefit is if you put an aftermarket exhaust on you will hear the popping on closed throttle decel, disabling it takes away the popping. Also if you have the bike dyno-tuned, it needs to be disabled.

Cakes206
11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Keeping the hose to the airbox helps, there is nothing to be gained by removing it.
Leaving it can cause oil mist to mix in with the air/fuel mixture...it's pretty much only routed that way for emissions.

CBRBob
11-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Put the hose from the crankcase vent to the airbox back on. You want negative pressure in the engine as much as possible. You read about how 'improved crankcase design drops pumping losses'. All that means is they found a better way for the air to move from the underside of one piston to the other easier. If you make a vacuum in the crancase, there is less air for the bottom of the piston to push against, hence, less power lost, and no oil drool on the outside of the engine.

One trick you will find in dragracing is that they have several vacuum pumps on the crankcase to gain power. Keeping the hose to the airbox helps, there is nothing to be gained by removing it.

Leaving it can cause oil mist to mix in with the air/fuel mixture...it's pretty much only routed that way for emissions.

Guess you didn't read that post.... :moocow: :doh:

Cakes206
11-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Yea I saw...but having the CC vented back into the air box as stock is probably very minimal negative pressure, from what I understand, the actual reason behind venting the cc thru the air box is to recycle the oil misted air/fumes back into the system rather than out in the air. On my 01 gix and the sv I had the CC vented through the exhaust. That created some nice negative pressure to the point when you shut down and open the oil fill, you can hear the air rush back in, not legal in racing but oh well, lol.

SPL170db
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM

+1

You can run a filter midway up the hose to stop some of it. Yoshimura also sells a catch tank that needs to be emptied from time to time.

http://yoshimura-shop.netmove.co.jp/product_image/535-505-0000l.jpg

For the typical rider you'll never notice the 1/2 HP difference doing the PAIR mod accomplishes. I did the PAIR blockoff just so I could get my bike properly dyno-tuned, but I didn't bother doing the rest of the routing for the PAIR "mod".

Cakes206
11-06-2007, 02:52 PM
For the typical rider you'll never notice the 1/2 HP difference doing the PAIR mod accomplishes.
I noticed it right away, can definitely notice the engine getting to the higher revs quicker.

SPL170db
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
You must be an A-typical rider Cakes :D

I dunno, maybe is more prominent on certain bikes compared to others, did it on an older model gsxr1K and didn't notice much.

CBRBob
11-06-2007, 05:28 PM
....and the bad thing about burning the mist of oil is? What do you think you lose, 1 ounce every oil change out of the 3-4 quarts?

People buying all these 'race-parts' and doing these mods tend to believe they feel a difference when there really is nothing to be had except for a lighter wallet and a lot less hours in their life.

If you NEED to do the PAIR mod (popping in aftermarket exhaust or getting dyno tuned), then fine. If not, don't bother.

Jimmy
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
If you NEED to do the PAIR mod (popping in aftermarket exhaust or getting dyno tuned), then fine. If not, don't bother.

What's the importance of doing the PAIR mod if you're dyno tuning?

CBRBob
11-07-2007, 12:21 AM
The PAIR system injects fresh air into the exhaust to help burn any unburned fuel in the hot exhaust with a oxygen rich mix. When tuning on the dyno, most tuners use air/fuel (O2) sensors either in a port in the exhaust pipe or a 'sniffer' probe inserted into the muffler. With the extra air being injected, it biases the exhaust gas into looking 'lean', when the reality is it could be rich. By disabling the pair system, you would get a truer reading and be able to tune more accurately.

Jimmy
11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks! :cheers:

sonny
11-08-2007, 09:37 AM
do the TRE "mod".

CBRBob
11-08-2007, 11:43 AM
do the TRE "mod".

Pretty much everyone I know that has done this has taken it off for lack of drivability.

sonny
11-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Pretty much everyone I know that has done this has taken it off for lack of drivability.

What does that mean?
They put the TRE on and the bike drove like crap?

CBRBob
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
The bike became so twitchy when rolling on that it made it hard to ride. People have this on their bike, go to the track, mid corner they roll on and the bike jumps.

Cakes206
11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Yea, due to the advanced timing in the lower gears. From what I understand you get 5th gear timing.

Jimmy
11-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I had the TRE on my 02 750. It was a little twitchy getting back on the throttle coming out of turns but not horrible.

AfricanBootyScratcher
11-16-2007, 06:03 PM
I've got the TRE mod, no problems (unless it's a windy day)

CBRBob
11-16-2007, 08:49 PM
I've got the TRE mod, no problems (unless it's a windy day)

DOH!!!

V2Rider
02-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I have the Tre and love it, but I dont do tracks so it suits me perfect on the street

High_Revs_17
02-25-2008, 09:14 PM
R&D with modern technology have come a long way in the sportbike market and the new models seem to be pulling very decent power/torque #'s outta the box with the restrictive intake & exhaust systems, but aside from the sound and slight weight difference in the aftermarket world, if it aint broke don't fix it.

V2Rider
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
R&D with modern technology have come a long way in the sportbike market and the new models seem to be pulling very decent power/torque #'s outta the box with the restrictive intake & exhaust systems, but aside from the sound and slight weight difference in the aftermarket world, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Thats why I havent removed the SET

CBRBob
02-26-2008, 12:21 PM
http://blog.microbrainx.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/new-year-image.jpg

High_Revs_17
02-26-2008, 08:54 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/HighRevs17/Trading-Places-p12.jpg

http://blog.microbrainx.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/new-year-image.jpg

RAC
02-27-2008, 08:13 AM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/HighRevs17/Trading-Places-p12.jpg

This movie was on last night