PDA

View Full Version : bar tending school

PSYCHO1000R
04-05-2007, 10:05 AM
im looking to get into bartending since i have weekends off again.. i dont know shit about drinks, aside from drinking them, so i fugred a bartending school would help, plus the one im looking into has job placement. Im only looking for a saturday here and there to make some extra cash. any one ever go to bartending school?? was it worth it ?

soda7o
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
bar tending school is BS... i mean it helps .. but you can just pick up a book and you are done...

PSYCHO1000R
04-05-2007, 10:26 AM
i was more focusing on there " job placement idea" but it cant hurt

jcblitz
04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
It depends on what you want to get out of it. Bars care way more about experience than a certificate. I had a friend that had the same idea as you and she went through it. She said it was fun but didn't help her at all in getting a job. The basic response was no experience = no job.

PSYCHO1000R
04-05-2007, 10:38 AM
yeh, i know they preach about a LISCENSE u get a tthe end, but i know it dont mean shit, like i said, im more interested in hte 100% job placement they gaurantee, to get started. then after a get some experience i can go out on my own.. i dont really want a second job, but i figured bartending would be fun and easy cahs, thats why im interested.

soda7o
04-05-2007, 10:39 AM
It depends on what you want to get out of it. Bars care way more about experience than a certificate. I had a friend that had the same idea as you and she went through it. She said it was fun but didn't help her at all in getting a job. The basic response was no experience = no job.

i have freinds that are bartender s in the city.. gusy and girls..
they get hired mostly for their looks in the beggining and as they gain experience they move to spots that are crazy busy their looks and experience helps with that. if you want to just bartend at some irish bar on the low than it might not be that hard since its not hectic and you do not get strange drink request, but mostly get the easy drinks the drunks like.. like beer and simple mixed drinks usualy made up of one or two alcahols

jcblitz
04-05-2007, 11:04 AM
i have freinds that are bartender s in the city.. gusy and girls..
they get hired mostly for their looks in the beggining and as they gain experience they move to spots that are crazy busy their looks and experience helps with that. if you want to just bartend at some irish bar on the low than it might not be that hard since its not hectic and you do not get strange drink request, but mostly get the easy drinks the drunks like.. like beer and simple mixed drinks usualy made up of one or two alcahols

She's pretty good looking and is how she got her foot in the door. But when she called places they just told her they're only looking to hire experienced bar tenders.

Rev
04-05-2007, 11:33 AM
The job placement is b.s. it's just a gimmick to real people in 90% does 'job placement'. I got mine like 4 years back and never did anythying with it...guess just wasn't interested as i thought i would be 600 down the drain. anyway. your better off getting your own gig....But I would do it for experience, you do actually learn

shadoxkila
04-05-2007, 01:55 PM
bartending school is a giant waste of time and money, i could teach you what they teach you in an hour....most places wont hire people just out of bartending school cuz they usually don't know shit. My restaurant tried that and they were the three biggest retards i've ever met.

Jay
04-05-2007, 02:32 PM
Like everyone said bartending school is helpful but not at all necessary. Job placement might be 100% but where? Some private restaurant or pub? where you'll make $50 in tips a night?

In your case its probably a good idea though since like you said you don't know much about mixing drinks. At least you'll have a general idea on how to mix.

Finding a consistant well paying spot as a bartender is tough man. Being a bouncer i talked with alot of bartenders and heard horror stories. Getting into a place on a night thats good, where you are getting tipped well, and there is always a crowd....well, requires more of WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

Working the door as a bouncer or doing VIP entry i have made more in one night sometimes then the highest tipped bartender.

soda7o
04-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Working the door as a bouncer or doing VIP entry i have made more in one night sometimes then the highest tipped bartender.

yes cause people think they are cool when they pay off a bouncer.. :nopity:

Jay
04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
yes cause people think they are cool when they pay off a bouncer.. :nopity:

Well you have 2 options

1) Wait in line

2) Pay a bouncer

When the estimated wait to get in is 1-2 hours what would you do?

As a VIP bouncer i have been paid $100 just to get someone a bottle of water. Whether they are cool or not is NOT my problem lol. their money is just as green as the next persons haha

soda7o
04-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Well you have 2 options

1) Wait in line

2) Pay a bouncer

When the estimated wait to get in is 1-2 hours what would you do?

As a VIP bouncer i have been paid $100 just to get someone a bottle of water. Whether they are cool or not is NOT my problem lol. their money is just as green as the next persons haha

3 go to the next place.. :)their vodka is also 40 proof...

lol

you are right tho money is money

shadoxkila
04-05-2007, 04:18 PM
. Getting into a place on a night thats good, where you are getting tipped well, and there is always a crowd....well, requires more of WHO you know rather then WHAT you know.

I have definitely paid a bouncer obscene money to cut the line, and well worth it every time, especially when its friggin cold out....

Also gettin a bartending job is 100% who you know and it helps if you have tits, I can guarantee that i'm a ten times better bartender then 90% of the chics out but they will always get the job over me because bars want chics over guys any day which i find ridiculous cuz i personally would rather have a good guy bartender then some air head who is slow and doesn't know shit + i would rather bull shit with a guy most of the time, i'll hit on the girls at the place not the ones workin there thankyou

soda7o
04-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I have definitely paid a bouncer obscene money to cut the line, and well worth it every time, especially when its friggin cold out....

Also gettin a bartending job is 100% who you know and it helps if you have tits, I can guarantee that i'm a ten times better bartender then 90% of the chics out but they will always get the job over me because bars want chics over guys any day which i find ridiculous cuz i personally would rather have a good guy bartender then some air head who is slow and doesn't know shit + i would rather bull shit with a guy most of the time, i'll hit on the girls at the place not the ones workin there thankyou

iliek to rip dollars in half and tip the hot bartender chicks... also works well for strippers.

PSYCHO1000R
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
well im gonna give it a go anyways, cant hurt to learn some new stuff. I dont expect to be in any wild clubs, just looking to get some exerience and make a little extra cash.

Retom7
04-10-2007, 01:31 AM
well im gonna give it a go anyways, cant hurt to learn some new stuff. I dont expect to be in any wild clubs, just looking to get some exerience and make a little extra cash.

The way I figure it, depends on the school. Some teach you style, some teach you the basics, etc. Job placement shouldn't be the deciding factor. Personally, I would pick a school that teaches you how to make proper drinks, because that's always more important that knowing how to flip bottles and pour in interesting ways. I don't give a shit if someone does a triple bottle flip with an over the shoulder behind the back eyes closed pour, if you fuck up my gin and tonic, you're making me another.

Also, making proper drinks is going to get you tipped a lot better. Screw the books. You could also just try to get your foot in the door and try to wash glasses/beer bitch it until they try you as bar back eventually and then to bartender if you play your cards right. Also, if you talk to a bar owner off busy hours and explain your situation and that you are looking for experience, and even ask to work a few nights for free, that might help get a name in the business and possibly a job if you show you're a hard worker and good with the people.

I think the number one rule with bartending is that someone who can talk to the customers > someone who can make proper drinks > someone who does it with style. A good talker can keep someone ordering one after the other to keep your attention :)

If you do go to one of the schools, don't let people tell you it's a huge waste of money. If you get your bartending job at some point, $400-600 is chump change. You should be able to easily earn that back in one solid weekend. I know people who bartend in NYC and pull in 800-1500 on a single Friday or Saturday night. The money is there if you do it right.

Retom7
04-10-2007, 01:32 AM
Also, keep in mind, if you aren't willing to sacrifice your entire weekend, then bartending isn't for you.

Jay
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM

Oh i agree. thats because the american male is a fucking sucker!

They see a nice set of tits and ass, and think "ohhhhhh aahhhhhh i am going to go get a drink from her!" then you end up getting a jack and coke that tastes more like just straight coke. She goes, bats her eyes, shakes her tits and takes the next sucker for a ride. Why guys keep ordering drinks from them...i do not know. You aren't going to fuck her. If you try you are just going to be chump number 20 for the night that threw a pass and got denied.

My boys bartend at alot of places. I haven't had a drink in I can't even remember but when i do drink i go get my drinks from them. Good amount of alcohol and they usually charge me half price to nothing at all.

shadoxkila
04-10-2007, 01:41 PM
a guy will likely hook you up much faster then any chic....+ their drinks are always stronger

njf4i
04-11-2007, 08:07 AM
All the bartenders that hook me up at my local places are guys. The girls that work there are usually the slowest to get my order and make the weakest drinks.

But for the record i was one of the guys that got a female bartender to date me. But she was at her first bartending job, that was a dive bar at the time. But hey atleast i can say i did it. But i would never expect to pick up a bartender now. There just flirty whores that want your money and not your company.

But good luck with the school if you do steve. I'll be sure to come and harass you at your first bar job. :lol:

PSYCHO1000R
04-11-2007, 10:14 AM
All the bartenders that hook me up at my local places are guys. The girls that work there are usually the slowest to get my order and make the weakest drinks.

But for the record i was one of the guys that got a female bartender to date me. But she was at her first bartending job, that was a dive bar at the time. But hey atleast i can say i did it. But i would never expect to pick up a bartender now. There just flirty whores that want your money and not your company.

But good luck with the school if you do steve. I'll be sure to come and harass you at your first bar job. :lol:

lol.. yeh i start that class on saturday, in paramous... im not telling anybody where i work if i get a job for a while~!.. you fools will get me fired!! but i wont even get that ahead of myself!

Cakes206
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Dude, you gotta schlep all the way to Paramus? wow.

PSYCHO1000R
04-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Dude, you gotta schlep all the way to Paramus? wow.

its only 1 day a week and i go with someone else and we take turns drivin so its all good, i can olny do saturdays.. its only like an 1:15 away