PDA

View Full Version : Summit Report

Mack
04-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Ok well some of you have seen that i'm out for beaver next week and have asked why. Well Summit on Monday did not go to well. The morning was wet which was good I was working on my lines and taking it easy. Was feeling pretty go nothing great was making some decent passes and what not but not pushing it at all. Dryed up late morning and I started to move faster around the track. The concrete patches were a little unnerving but they became a nonconcern after a while. Turns 1 to 4 were great loved them and was passing some people through them. 5 through 8 were slow but typically were catching people through the area and hitting most of my lines. Turns 8 and 9 were great no problems. 10 was giving me trouble all day. I don't know what it was it's just a fast sweeping right hander but I couldn't get it all day.

Well 7th session of the day I pushed it into 10 and I apexed early and hit the gator strips (running top end of 3rd going into the turn shifting into 4th coming out of it). Well I lost the front end and rear as soon as I hit the gator...slide across the track with my leg under the bike. Really sucked. Hit the gravel pit and tumbled a little while. The bike slide on it's right side and flipped to the left when it hit the pit. Overall I'm pretty banged up. My right leg is bruised from my hip to mid calf....my right shoulder has some rash were a seam ripped in my suit...and my right little toe is rashed where my sidi's ripped. Overall for as fast as I was going I'm lucky I didn't break anything.

This crash has brough me to the point that I'm stepping back for a little while. I'm doing too many things wrong out there and trying to push beyond my current skill level. My basics are off and I need to correct that before I try going faster again. So I'm taking at least a couple months off. Putting the bike back together (it's not too bad actually...plastics, sliders, right side controls, and an exhaust) then headed to a race school. After the school I'll be back at TPM and getting a lot of PT. I want to be fast but can't keep wrecking and I know it's my basics. Well that's the story....if anyone can suggest a good race school let me know.

oh yeah I'll post up some pics sometime soon.

IrocRob
04-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Damn Dave, I'm very sorry to hear about the crash but I'm happy
that you came through it without more serious injuries.

I certain you'll be back at it by summertime. VIR maybe? :ride:

Cakes206
04-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Wow Dave, sorry to hear about the get off. T-10 at Summit is definitely not a good place to have one(not that any crash is good, but you know what i mean) due to its high speed. Glad it's nothing to serious and that you'll be back out there soon. Feel better.

Brian78
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
honestly take ART-PRO and PT and i think you would be good to go

lateapex
04-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear your ok.

One question why a "race school" over a track day day? TPM PT training or even the new ART2 school provides you with almost one on one training which might help you.

Also a new school, new enviroment, new rules and different coaches add stress to the day, granted it my not be a lot but it adds up over the day. If you stick with a club your used to and know how the day runs there is less stress on you which allows you to work on yourself vs worrying what group is next or I'm in white with TPM and now I'm green here, Can I pass others or not, coaches are in blue here, turn in cone is green no wait now it's 2 cones with on laying down and so on.

CBRBob
04-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Mackster, you need to see why your basics are off. Are you pushing too much? Are you not satisfied with where you are for a while....like you need to be on top and if you aren't you try anything to get there? Or do you allow yourself to get comfortable with where you are for a while?

Race school won't help that. PT will. But ONLY if you actually follow exactly what is suggested.

BurnCycle
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear about the fall. T-10 is one fast corner to go down in. Glad to hear you're OK.

Gigantic
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Most "race schools" are meant to get you a race license, not teach you to ride. the one's I've attended simply went over the rules, starting procedures & etc. then put you on the track. if you didn't crash, you got your certificate. I think what you mean is a riding school, like keith code or summat. The above suggestions for ART II, ART PRO & PT are valid, but you might find it more helpful to go with a organization where you don't know everyone & avoid peer pressure.
My suggestion: dial it back. a lot. focus on turning perfect lap after perfect lap. once you do a session without making a mistake, dial the pace up a cunthair and repeat. focus on being smooth, hitting your lines and getting used to your new bike. it will come, but don't expect it all at once. It seems counterintuitive, but you have to go slow, in order to go fast. remember, you're out there to have fun, not win a race.
Take it easy, don't be so hard on yourself- I'm glad you're essentially alright.
Cheers,
Lance

Qetesh
04-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Glad to hear that you're okay Dave! Heal up quick and get back out there! You've got a good start already, knowing where you might be struggling. Spend time doing PT with Glen! He knows his shiat :nod2:

RCM78
04-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Damn Dave, That sucks!!! Get yourself all healed up and come back to us. Take ART PT. Sounds like you've got plenty of time to think of some questions to ask during the class.

A little tidbit about turn 10. Theres a dip in the apex. If you take it to close you can unload the suspension as the wheel runs over the dip. This causes you to lose the front, then the rear. The proper line through there is at least 1' off the apex.

yetidave
04-04-2007, 07:02 PM
After riding with Mack for three days in the past month here's my take on it. Mack, you simply got too fast too quick. As you and I have discussed, your riding jumped foward in leaps rather than steps, and in the process, alot of the fundamentals that make up the foundation for your riding were simply missed. Because of this, when you make a mistake it usually ends with you on your head. You have alot of natural ability, you simply need to strengthen the fundamentals. And I firmly believe that once you do this, your riding will improve in ways that will amaze you.
Skip the race school, get some PT time with Glen.

JimRBlue
04-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Glad your okay dave. hang in there

MPtotheFZ
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Sorry to hear about your mishap Dave. Hope everything heals up soon!

njf4i
04-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Well i got to hear this story over the phone and it wasn't fun.. I know you want to walk away dave, but your better then that. You have alot more natural talent and ability then alot of us will ever have. Your getting a little older now and your learning.. You don't need to be the fastest guy out there.

I can't tell you what to do because im not a track guy. But listen to the veterans advice. Find your basics again, and be the track stud that you can be.

Its not the fastest guy there that wins, its the smartest guy with the best lines/fundamentals that wins. If you need any help with your bike, or me teaching you how to ride (that was a joke :lol: ) just speak up. The bike family will always be there for you know matter what you go through.

Now call me back. :)

ffejtable
04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Really sorry about to hear this, but glad you came away relatively unharmed.

i've seen you ride, and I think you know what I think about it (or at least the decision making part). ;) regardless of what i think, i dont like to hear about anybody getting hurt.

i just have a different outlook on being out there really... having fun to me means my bike is in one piece at the end of the day.

it hasnt kept me from taking my share unscheduled "detours", but I ride very conservatively. in fact my riding last season never returned to where i left off in 05, too much fear.

Moe-lassas
04-05-2007, 07:38 AM
Mack,

I agree with yeti. Forget the race school and go straight to PT. You need to get back to the track. Ride sharing with you is saving me a bunch of money. :D

Mack
04-05-2007, 08:35 AM
well thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'll pass on the race school since everyone has said it's probably not worth it. As for getting back on the track it's going to be at least a month or two. I need to replace some gear...fix some gear....fix the bike and get the money for all of it. Definately going to be doing a lot of PT. Hoping to definately be at the VIR weekend at the end of July (S-S-N). I'll post up some pics of my rash and the bike this weekend. It all looks so pretty....haha

Sue
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Sorry to hear you crashed :( But, definitely glad to hear you are okay and did not break any bones. :)

SAXON117
04-05-2007, 02:08 PM
dude sorry to hear about the crash, good to hear that you are getting back on tho.