PDA

View Full Version : oil filters

John712
03-29-2007, 11:04 PM
not sure if most of you remember, but about 2 months ago i had a very nasty oil leak coming from the bottom of my engine somewhere (Nissan Armada) got under there and couldnt find where it was coming from. i was dumb founded.

but i changed the oil in the truck that day to. but i'v been putting card board under the engine to try and narrow it down if it happened again. it didnt leak oil for about 2 weeks or so. 1 day in work my wife called me and said theres a shit load of oil on the driveway.

i looked at it when i got home and still couldnt find out where it was coming from. under there for like 30 minuted or so trying to see where the hell its leaking from.

so i said the hell with it, the truck is under warranty and i will let them find it. well they did. the oil filters that i'v been buying from either PepBoys, R&S Strauss or Auto Zone the filters arent the corrrect size. there about a 16th of an inch smaller then what its supposed to be.

the mechanics at Nissan told me its been happening for sometime now. even with other makes and models. they got an Armada in there now getting a new engine in it and its NOT covered under the warranty because its not a Nissan oil filter. 9 thousand dollars for the engine not counting labor and he has to fix it because its a lease he said. they also got a maxima in there that has the same problem but that might be able to save the engine.

i bought 7 oil filters while i was there. now i know why they give you 2 for free after buying so many. i always said to myself why would i pay $7 for a oil filter at the dealer when i can get 1 from another place for $3. but for now on i will be getting them from the dealer.

when we got home i notice oil on the driveway where i park my car. and its where i bought all 3 oil filters for both cars and the truck.

CBRBob
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Sounds goofy to me. What was 1/16" in to small?

John712
03-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Sounds goofy to me. What was 1/16" in to small?

the oil filters are 1/16 to small. u cant tell putting it on because it still tightens up. and cant tell just looking at it. the guy told me nissan teck measured both oil filters, and aftermarket filters are to small.

RCM78
03-30-2007, 06:16 AM
What is too small? Is it the diameter of the filter or the length? Audrey's Altima probably uses the same filter but she brings it to the dealer for oil changes...

CBRBob
03-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Yea, what exactly is too small? Still sounds like BS.

ffejtable
03-30-2007, 08:42 AM
Im guessing the "depth" of the filter, so when its being screwed onto the post thing its not making sufficient contact with the engine and its leaving a small gap.... a gap of 1/16th of an inch I think would be gushing out oil, but with the gasket and putting it on a little tight, that gap may be small enough to mostly hold oil...

pretty messed up if thats the case...

Cakes206
03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
the mechanics at Nissan told me its been happening for sometime now.
As a nice gesture, it would be cool if Nissan sent out a letter to their customers as a precautionary warning.

sonny
03-30-2007, 02:21 PM
That doesnt make any sense. "Aftermarket" oil filters like fram and k&n are built to EXACT OEM specifications.

I think Nissan dicked everybody by making some 1 off filter and then sending out the 'real' specs.

John712
03-30-2007, 03:09 PM
the diameter is to small. that it seeps out the sides of the oil filter. 1/16th of an inch is really hard to tell. i didnt ask why they didnt send a letter out but i cant see it being Nissans problem if an oil filter outside of nissan corporation is not the correct fit.

Mack
03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd sue the company that produced the oil filters you were using...the mis represented thier product as fitting your car.

njracer
03-30-2007, 05:30 PM
What brand filters are you buying??

CBRBob
05-16-2007, 08:35 PM
So it was BS!

John712
05-16-2007, 08:49 PM
YUP! complete bull shit.

after trying to find the oil leak myself i got fed up and sent it to Nissan under warranty.

and what the mechanics told me sounded okay, or like it would be the problem.

but after todays incident my oil light came on and was beeping, i pulled over to see what was going on only to notice im leaking oil in the same spot i was the other time. right around the oil filter.

i called them up dropped it off and explained. they asked who did the oil change, i told them the mechanics here did and i only put on no more then 300 miles since the oil change. (the truck just sits there)

i didnt get a call back but i am anxious to see the kind of bullshit they feed me this time.

SAXON117
05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
YUP! complete bull shit.

after trying to find the oil leak myself i got fed up and sent it to Nissan under warranty.

and what the mechanics told me sounded okay, or like it would be the problem.

but after todays incident my oil light came on and was beeping, i pulled over to see what was going on only to notice im leaking oil in the same spot i was the other time. right around the oil filter.

i called them up dropped it off and explained. they asked who did the oil change, i told them the mechanics here did and i only put on no more then 300 miles since the oil change. (the truck just sits there)

i didnt get a call back but i am anxious to see the kind of bullshit they feed me this time.

park that thing in the service manager's ass :evil2:

soda7o
05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
thats sucks there is probably somethign wrong with your engine ( a gasket or some crap) and they are just trying to dillay dally their way around fixing it by feeding you BS. Kand N and other after market oild filters are usually made to spec (ok mayeb one batch coudl be off but not all) and i usuallytrust after market better than oem anyway. second off all the techs at the dealers are not exactly the best mechanics in the world, in my opinion they are actually worts than your avg joe shmo garage mechanic (THATS JUST MY OPINION) they only work on one brand of car and mostly its BS work likeoil changes and brakes .. i like mechanics that work on allsorts of cars, can tell youwhats wrong with it by either taking a spoin or listening to it.. not hooking it up to the computer to try to figure out whats wrong. my uncle is a GM for a chain of dealerships in Philly, and everytimes he moves i get cars cheap.. right now i have nissans.. they Both blow goat cock... i have had nissans previosly and the quality of the new nissans is horrible.. i cant wait till my lease is up on these horrible horrible cars. the qaulity is gone donw the drain, fit and finish suck, engineis one of the worst i have driven, gas economy does not exist (my 4 cyl altima gets only a few more miels than my avalanch... go figure?) i am staying away from nissan from now on

ohyeah and that that poor shumck who iis replacing his engine for 9K plus labor... you leased the car youare probablypaying 15k for the lease why pay like 12k for an engine swap.. at that point you set the car on fire or make it disappear and get another lease ....