PDA

View Full Version : Just new chain or New sprockets also..

ImmaSquashYou
03-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey guys,

So i notice that i need a new chain. But the thing is, my chain is stretched more on some parts than it is on others. So its making me have that chugging motion when i'm riding. I'm pretty sure that its the chain since for the most part, the chain is tight when i'm rolling the bike. But for about 6 inches of the chain, it gets really loose. So i'm wondering if its just the chain or the sprockets also.

How much am i looking at here?? $150 for the chain and sprocket and possibly $100 for labor???? I'm sure you guys have your chain and sprocket's changed...is it hard to do yourself?? I don't have stands tho. Thanks a bunch!!!

SPL170db
03-29-2007, 07:22 PM
A stretched chain will prematurely wear new sprockets, and vice versa as well.

Replace the whole driveline as a set or you'll replacing all of it again soon anyway. You can get a good quality set for about $180-190

It's not that difficult to do your self, the trickiest part is just breaking of the old chain and riveting on a new one (don't use a clip-on masterlink). You can buy the tool to do this yourself for about $60-70 off eBay or see if a local shop can just rivet it on for you if you wish. The installing of the sprockets is not too difficult in and of itself.

ImmaSquashYou
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Replace the whole driveline as a set or you'll replacing all of it again soon anyway. You can get a good quality set for about $180-190

It's not that difficult to do your self, the trickiest part is just breaking of the old chain and riveting on a new one (don't use a clip-on masterlink). You can buy the tool to do this yourself for about $60-70 off eBay or see if a local shop can just rivet it on for you if you wish. The installing of the sprockets is not too difficult in and of itself.

I have a chain that has a master link on it now. And it seems like the part near the master link is where its stretched the most. Thanks for the heads up. Would WCW be the cheapest??? Or should i go to power sport honda in metuchen..

Whats the best brand out there for chain and sprocket kit??

SPRHK
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM

+1

SPL170db
03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I have a chain that has a master link on it now. And it seems like the part near the master link is where its stretched the most. Thanks for the heads up. Would WCW be the cheapest??? Or should i go to power sport honda in metuchen..

Whats the best brand out there for chain and sprocket kit??

I'm not really sure what either of their hourly rates for labor are, I think $60 is the typical norm. If I were you I would seek out a fellow member possibly that has a chain breaker/riveter and see if you can use it for a 6-pack of brew perhaps :)

In regards to components, I'm using AFAM sprockets and a DID ERV3 on my 1000 and they are holding up admirably, so they should work just fine on your F4 there.

SPRHK
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
In regards to components, I'm using AFAM sprockets and a DID ERV3 on my 1000 and they are holding up admirably, so they should work just fine on your F4 there

+1 +1 I HAVE THE SAME SET UP ON MY 1000. WELL WORTH IT!!

Mack
03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a RK chain with AFAM front and vortex rear and it's holding up fine on my aprilia......my GSXR has vortex sprockets and a DID chain and it's seems to be in really good shape. I would go AFAM and DID if I were you but if you want to save a little money the RK is a little cheaper as far as a chain. Ron would be a great option to do it however it's not hard to to yourself. If I was still in jersey I would say I'd do it for you for a couple beers but I doubt you want to travel to Pittsburgh to do it.....................BIGGEST KEY....MEASURE 5 times CUT ONCE....also you're rather be long then short

ImmaSquashYou
03-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks guys......Your input was greatly appreciated....Gonna call ron prob tomorrow and ask for pricing....

RCM78
03-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Vortex sprockets arent that good. They're made of soft aluminum. If this is a streetbike stick with a steel sprocket.

If you must have aluminum then get the AFAM or Renthal hardened sprockets...

Just ask Ron, He know's what to sell you...

CBRBob
03-30-2007, 07:20 AM
$60/hr? Where do you go? I believe the norm is $85-$95/hr. Glad I work on all my own stuff!

SPL170db
03-30-2007, 09:34 PM
$60/hr? Where do you go? I believe the norm is $85-$95/hr. Glad I work on all my own stuff!

I got to my garage and open my toolbox :)

Lurker
04-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys......Your input was greatly appreciated....Gonna call ron prob tomorrow and ask for pricing....

I got a chain breaker and the rivet tool if you want to do it yourself. Its pretty easy, I did mine at the end of summer last year.

Roberts
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Vortex sprockets arent that good. They're made of soft aluminum. If this is a streetbike stick with a steel sprocket.

If you must have aluminum then get the AFAM or Renthal hardened sprockets...

Just ask Ron, He know's what to sell you...
Yep, Ron won't even sell Vortex; even if you ask.