PDA

View Full Version : Tighter U Turns

BikerChickSI
07-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Im just curious. I cant seem to make tight u turns, everytime I make it, it goes wide... anyone know what could be the reason for that? Not turning enough?

~Donna~
07-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Could be a combination of things Lana. Are you grabbing that front brake, where are you focusing your field of vision. My suggestion is to go practice in a parking lot, that's what I did. I practiced everything I wasn't so sure of there where there was no outside interference and I could concentrate without worrying about traffic. Also helps if someone with more experience can come observe what you are doing and show you what it is you aren't doing totally correct. You will get it just focus and don't let it get the best of you keep practicing. :)

BikerChickSI
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I dont grab the front brake, I feather the throttle, have the clutch pulled in & try to look to where i wanna go.... i dunno if my bikes weight is another factor in why i have so much trouble with it...

FigNewTon
07-25-2005, 10:55 AM
May be something as simple as not looking where you want to go. Donna is right on with practicing in a parking lot. I used a large parking lot to practice panic stops when I first started out and it saved my ass a couple times. It also improved my high speed breaking quite a bit.

chuck_smooth
07-25-2005, 11:03 AM
you have to trust the fact that you are not gonna fall over if you make it tighter.. during the msf course i was having trouble with the u turn because it felt like i was going to lose balance.. the instructor told me to trust the bike and once i got over that it was smooth sailing

Kawibabe
07-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Yup, go practice in a parking lot until you get more comfy with it. Soon it will be like nothing. :)

CBRBob
07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
There are several ways to do this correctly. The best way for you is to practice for a while and don't worry if it runs wide the 1st time.
You can try riding in the friction zone (clutch slipping) while you hold a steady throttle.
Another way is that you can drag the rear brake while you leave the clutch out and modulate the throttle, or simply carry enough speed into the turn, squeeze the clutch and coast around. Any way you do it, you really NEED to turn your head around and look behind you since that is your goal, to travel in the direction in which you came.
One way to start is to just ride in circles making the diameter smaller and smaller. As your speed drops, remember to lean the bike and keep your body upright, elbows bent, NEVER locked. Have fun!

Cakes206
07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Practice, practice, practice...

Also, main thing is to keep moving. The slower you go, the harder it is...combination of throttle, feathering the clutch, little bit of rear brake, and looking where you want to go will get you thru that u-turn.

G'luck and keep us updated on how you do.

njf4i
07-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Well i think everyone above me answered you the best way. But the only thing I can add is from my experience.

I learned that i could control the bike more thru uturns without using the throttle. Like on my f4i if you let out the clutch right the bike will coast at 7mph with no throttle. So i just took my time with the method of clutch in and clutch out. It would work its way around without going to fast or the feeling of "the bike is gonna fall".

But i do agree with you. Your bike is really heavy compared to others. But just keep at it and don't give up.

RCM78
07-25-2005, 08:18 PM
CBR Bob is a tool but he knows what he's talking about!!! :)

Just so you know the weight of your bike is not a factor... I have an 850lb touring bike and can pull a U-Turn just about anywhere...

CBRBob
07-26-2005, 07:32 AM
Your bike is really heavy compared to others.

Yea, 430lbs is really heavy :lol:

Ralph, watch out for people running into you AGAIN at VIR this weekend :omg:

Pirate
07-26-2005, 07:46 AM
my $.02 is the same for most. my nighthawk is longer and way heavier than your bike dude and i can pull a U'ie on a small atreet easily. it just takes practice and trust.

BikerChickSI
07-26-2005, 10:01 AM

480lbs & Im like 130.... not to use the double standard card or anything but usually females have less upper body strength than males do. I guess Ill just keep practicing :confused:

xstortion
07-26-2005, 10:19 AM
480lbs & Im like 130.... not to use the double standard card or anything but usually females have less upper body strength than males do. I guess Ill just keep practicing :confused:

Lana I am willing to conduct private lessons at my house if u would like ;)

:LOL:

Vin
07-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Let's not go theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere...

BikerChickSI
07-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Lana I am willing to conduct private lessons at my house if u would like ;)

:LOL:

If you live in a parking lot, that sounds great :lol:

Pirate
07-26-2005, 10:33 AM
:puke1: ha ha ha !!! went there already!!!

Kawibabe
07-26-2005, 02:17 PM

My ZX-6E is 487 lbs wet (429 lbs dry weight). I am 5'3" and 110 lbs (sometimes I am up at 115 lbs). I can u-turn my E. I just had to practice until I felt more comfy with it. Getting a different bike or anything else isn't going to really help. A u-turn is a u-turn is a u-turn and until you get it down by practicing it....then you won't ever be able to safely do it.

Don't get me wrong, u-turns are not my favorite thing to do. If you practice, you will be fine.

Vin
07-26-2005, 02:19 PM
My ZX-6E is 487 lbs wet (429 lbs dry weight). I am 5'3" and 110 lbs (sometimes I am up at 115 lbs). I can u-turn my E. I just had to practice until I felt more comfy with it. Getting a different bike or anything else isn't going to really help. A u-turn is a u-turn is a u-turn and until you get it down by practicing it....then you won't ever be able to safely do it.

:nod2:

Qetesh
07-26-2005, 02:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, u-turns are not my favorite thing to do. If you practice, you will be fine.

Right on Abi :nod2:

The fact of the matter is, it won't matter what bike you're riding. The key is practicing, period.

xstortion
07-26-2005, 02:38 PM

U ride the hell out of your bike though :wow:

Kawibabe
07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
I do?

BikerChickSI
07-26-2005, 02:47 PM
If anyone needs me- Ill be in the parking lot practicing U turns.

jcblitz
07-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Unless you're bench pressing it, a lighter bike isn't going to make that much of a difference.

Kawibabe
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
If anyone needs me- Ill be in the parking lot practicing U turns.

That's what I'm talking about!!! :nod2:

Just don't get mad at yourself and remember to keep breathing!!!

BikerChickSI
07-26-2005, 03:09 PM
That's what I'm talking about!!! :nod2:

Just don't get mad at yourself and remember to keep breathing!!!

Im gonna put on a full suit in case I fall :lol:

FigNewTon
07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Im gonna put on a full suit in case I fall :lol:
You will be fine...take your time and be confident in your abilities.

njf4i
07-26-2005, 05:08 PM

Well i was the one that had to walk the bike back to her parking spot in new hope by holding the front end.

So at that time it felt heavier than mine. :cries:

RCM78
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM

HA! You'll have to catch me first!!! ;)

xstortion
07-26-2005, 09:20 PM
I do?

From the pics u have on myspace :)

High_Revs_17
07-27-2005, 04:47 PM
It's not about strength, it's all about balance. Tight U-turns require you to lean the bike over while you sit up straight instead of leaning with the bike. For the most part if you're making that tight of a U-turn you should just be able to leave the bike in 1st gear without pulling in the clutch, and without giving it gas, and the engine's momentum will give you all the power you need to keep the bike from falling over.

Get into a parking lot ASAP and practice 1st gear very low speed U-tun figure 8's. This will benefit you so you won't favor just one side to turn with. BTW, didn't you read the beginners manual woman, it explains all of this! :lol:

And get that kickstand fixed. :)

females have less upper body strength than males do. I guess Ill just keep practicing :confused:

Cakes206
07-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Ken Jennings has spoken :nod:

FigNewTon
07-27-2005, 04:52 PM
LMAO...I haven't seen that in a while

High_Revs_17
07-27-2005, 07:28 PM

:lol: I think it's time to get my old title back, these newbies can learn a thing or two. :)

Cakes206
07-27-2005, 07:32 PM
:lol: I think it's time to get my old title back, these newbies can learn a thing or two. :)

Done...school is in session kids :)