PDA

View Full Version : Help Anyone

Mack
03-27-2007, 08:59 AM
So here's the deal. My detacted garage is old (like 80+ years) and still in very good condition. However it has a flat roof and the thing just started leaking. Has anyone here every done any work to fix a flat roof and could they make suggestions to fixing the roof. Options that are not available at this time. Knocking down the garage and building a new one. Adding any type of secondary roof to the existing roof (thought of but can't due because garage was built before code and is out of code because it is too close to the property line so I can't build another roof on top of the existing roof) The roof looks like a tar paper flat roof. It is not leaking bad and was just hoping to seal the whole thing. Any suggestions?

nj01f4i
03-27-2007, 09:15 AM
um they sale, a tar like sealer at home dummy or lowes, you kinda pour it on there and spread it around with a broom looking thing . this is the stuff you should look for, or something relativly close to it
http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/50-277-roof-coatings/asphalt-unfibered-roof-coating-629219.aspx

ive used this sort of stuff before it works really well, just make sure you do the whole roof at the same time or you'll be able to see color differences oh and mix that bucket like theres no tomorrow

good luck

Taz
03-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Hey Dave Call Mike he might know some ideas. :)

cbr600rr-toupie
03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
the tar sealer works well

IrocRob
03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Dave, could you just shingle over the existing tar paper roof?

Mack
03-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Dave, could you just shingle over the existing tar paper roof?

Well I would normally do that but I worry that since it's a flat roof I think I really need to "seal" it because I know for a fact that has a few places that pond a little water when it rains a lot which is where it leaks. I've been searching the net and everything says to seal it and no one says to shingle it. Looks like I'm buying some tar type sealer and going at it this weekend....I'll let everyone know how it goes

nj01f4i
03-27-2007, 05:19 PM
if you go to home depot the have it in the roofing section in buckets, it'll take about an hour to 2 hours depending on how large the roof is. good luck

MrQuickR1
03-27-2007, 07:11 PM
put some buckets inside the garage?:huh:
:lol:

John712
03-27-2007, 08:47 PM
you can build on the garage. all you need is a permit and if the permit gets denied you set up a meeting with the members of the board. weather or not theres an old grand father clause. i did the samething. but i had to have mine totally torn down and rebuilt, with a new footing to.

High_Revs_17
03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Tar on a flat roof is correct, Shingles are designed for slanted roofs only. Due to their overlapping design the water runs down them without leaking thru, they're not designed to lay flat.

You don't even need that much elevation on the roof. A false roof that is raised one or two feet on one side and slants down to meet the existing roof on the other end will be just enough so water and snow can run off it. It'll be very easy to build and it'll look like a small canopy when you're done. Just add some wood and paint to the sides to fill in the angled space and your golden.

Would you need a permit for that as well?