PDA

View Full Version : How To Safety Wire

Cakes206
03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Recently been learning how to safety as per the new rules for TPM. Let me just say that the special pliers are one of the greatest inventions ever.

Heres a good read:
http://www.whizwheels.com/Tips/safetywiring.html

HondaGalToo
03-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Those safety wire pliers are the schnizit!!! Can't imagine doing it without them. The biggest pain for me would be drilling the bolts, since I don't have a press. I cheated and purchased a pre-drilled set of bolts from Ed Bargy. The kit includes all the stuff needed for what's the usual minimum requirement for trackdays: Oil drain plug, oil filler cap, oil filter. He predrills OEM bolts, so they're better than those cheap aluminum LP drain plugs.

Cakes206
03-23-2007, 10:29 AM
The biggest pain for me would be drilling the bolts
Yea, I broke two drill bits the other day :banghead: :lol:
I need to get a vice too.

CBRBob
03-23-2007, 11:41 AM

What you need it patience and some WD-40. Just take your time. :)

Cakes206
03-23-2007, 12:06 PM
What you need it patience and some WD-40. Just take your time. :)
Patience I have(believe me, its been tested time and time again lol,) they were crappy 1/16" bits.

wcrbikemike
03-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Concentrate Cakes San.

GinoE
03-23-2007, 02:28 PM
good tips gang - i just bought the ed bargy kit

RCM78
03-23-2007, 04:32 PM
What are the new TPM rules?

Cakes206
03-23-2007, 04:49 PM
What are the new TPM rules?
Red group has to follow what blue group needs safety wired.

liquiddevil2000
03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
i need to do that soon!!
just to try..lol

RCM78
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Red group has to follow what blue group needs safety wired.

Yeah, that was the rumor late last year. It's been changed alot.

Now, no safety wiring will be required in any group. It will be strongly suggested though.

Anyone with a track dedicated bike that does several days a year should safety wire their bike.

HondaGalToo
03-23-2007, 06:00 PM

Did you get cobalt bits? I hear they work the best. I don't know from personal experience, but that's what I've read.

RCM78
03-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Did you get cobalt bits? I hear they work the best. I don't know from personal experience, but that's what I've read.

Yeah, Cobalt is usually the way to go. The problem with safety wiring is we use 1/16" bits and if you use too much pressure they will flex and break.

It's best to use a sharp bit with light even pressure. Let the bit do the work. Also use some sort of cutting oil. I use LPS lubricant. WD40 works well too.

Cakes206
03-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that was the rumor late last year. It's been changed alot.

Now, no safety wiring will be required in any group. It will be strongly suggested though.

Anyone with a track dedicated bike that does several days a year should safety wire their bike.

Hmm, I though I saw Linda post up a couple months ago saying there was a change for red about safety wiring. Oh well, good thing to do at any rate.

Yeah, Cobalt is usually the way to go. The problem with safety wiring is we use 1/16" bits and if you use too much pressure they will flex and break.

It's best to use a sharp bit with light even pressure. Let the bit do the work. Also use some sort of cutting oil. I use LPS lubricant. WD40 works well too.
I'll have to check out those bits. Whats the cutting oil/wd40 for? Less friction?

RCM78
03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I'll have to check out those bits. Whats the cutting oil/wd40 for? Less friction?

Helps keep the bit sharp, less friction, and helps keep the bit cool.