PDA

View Full Version : input maybe tires 520 conversion

nj01f4i
03-15-2007, 12:43 AM
so i finally got around to getting my taxes done. and im getting some money back and i desperately need a new rear tire. so i want to just go ahead and replace both tires.
so i was wondering if anyone knew of any places with really good prices for tires and howmuch i should expect a shop to charge me for putting these tires on.

i was also thinking about doing a 520 conversion but i wanted to know about any ups or downs do the conversion
any input is appreciated

btw i have an 01 f4i incase you didnt see my name

SPL170db
03-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Sportbike Track Gear has a deal on Pilot Powers all year. Highly recommended tires.

As far as doing a 520 conversion, I have it on my 1K, so your 600 should be fine, I recommend AFAM sprockets and a DID ERV3 chain, excellent durability so far on my 1K. I'd also go -1/+2 from stock on the gearing if you haven't already for some better acceleration if you are looking for it, best cheap mod for a 600. You'll lose about 15 mph on your top end, not sure if that matters at all to you.

Cakes206
03-15-2007, 10:22 AM
I'd also go -1/+2 from stock on the gearing if you haven't already for some better acceleration if you are looking for it, best cheap mod for a 600. You'll lose about 15 mph on your top end, not sure if that matters at all to you.
If you do this, don't forget the "yellow box" or other type of speedo correction device. Not only will you indicate a faster mph(that will increase with speed) you'll also add on more miles on the odo than you actually ride.

SPL170db
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I had to do -11.5% with a +2 on my bike to be accurate.

Rev
03-15-2007, 11:14 AM
If you do this, don't forget the "yellow box" or other type of speedo correction device. Not only will you indicate a faster mph(that will increase with speed) you'll also add on more miles on the odo than you actually ride.

Good reminder...I don't think many people know this. ;)

nj01f4i
03-15-2007, 10:58 PM

i wasnt aware of any correction device . are you talking about a speedi healer? will that work

yeah im not worred at all about losing a little top speed. ihave been only over 100mph about 4 times and i kinda chose life cuz i dont trust myself(and im not experienced) enough to ride at that speed for any extended amount of time

thanks for the input guys

Cakes206
03-15-2007, 11:43 PM
i wasnt aware of any correction device . are you talking about a speedi healer? will that work

The Yellow Box (http://blackrobotics.com/)

CBRBob
03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Remember when you -f +r you have higher rpms and you get more buzz while cruising down the highway. Don't do too much or you will hate to ride it.

MrQuickR1
03-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Sportbike Track Gear has a deal on Pilot Powers all year. Highly recommended tires.

As far as doing a 520 conversion, I have it on my 1K, so your 600 should be fine, I recommend AFAM sprockets and a DID ERV3 chain, excellent durability so far on my 1K. I'd also go -1/+2 from stock on the gearing if you haven't already for some better acceleration if you are looking for it, best cheap mod for a 600. You'll lose about 15 mph on your top end, not sure if that matters at all to you.

I dunno, I tried to order a 520 kit from WCW but Ron told me don't bother, just do the -1 up front to compensate the dead spot issue and keep the 530 because it will wear down the 520 so fast and said unless I was racing or all track, I shouldn't do it on the liter bike.
So I guess when the chain and sprocket do wear down, I may end up doing the 520 later on.

Anyone ever give you this speach before? Any feedback for me on what they suggested?

SPL170db
03-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I dunno, I tried to order a 520 kit from WCW but Ron told me don't bother, just do the -1 up front to compensate the dead spot issue and keep the 530 because it will wear down the 520 so fast and said unless I was racing or all track, I shouldn't do it on the liter bike.
So I guess when the chain and sprocket do wear down, I may end up doing the 520 later on.

Anyone ever give you this speach before? Any feedback for me on what they suggested?

It's iffy, given the type of riding we do a well-maintaned 520 kit should last just fine. Like I mentioned before the key is to use good quality components. I have AFAM hard anodized sprocket and DID ERV3 chain (which has the tensile strength of a standard 530 if you check their website). I clean and lube probably every other ride and after about 5000 miles now it's basically shown almost no signs of wear at all.

Granted if you buy a cheapo chain and sprocket kit it's not gonna last as long. Mine cost $190 from Motomummy.

Surfinglbi23
03-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I like Renthal sprockets ... I have a 520 on my R1 man and its great, holds up fine

HookRone
03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
I like Renthal sprockets ... I have a 520 on my R1 man and its great, holds up fine

How many teethon the rear? I have one just sitting here looking for a new home. :)

Surfinglbi23
03-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Hook, I use a stock size in the rear, minus 1 up front. I am not sure what it is, I'll have to look ... thanks man, I am sure I could use it if its between 42-45 or so!

Cakes206
03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
They're big in the dirt bike industry.

Afam and DID 520 here. Had the same set for 3 track seasons, just had a look recently and the teeth still have a nice square edge. No signs of rounding or "shark fining." With proper tension and lube care they'll last a long time.