PDA

View Full Version : Why don't streetbikes come with GP Shift?

Bster13
03-14-2007, 03:10 PM
If it's best for the track, then why don't they just use GP shift on street bikes as well?

Smokes35
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Becuase they'be been 1 down 5 up for 77milllion years. and its not "better" is just another option.

Prolly has to do with how the much more or less expensive it is to design as well.

soda7o
03-14-2007, 03:11 PM
cause its cery very easy to convert it...

Bster13
03-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Just because it's been like that for years doesn't really justify why it is still like that. We used Bias ply tires for millions of years, but eventually manufacturers decided radials were better and look at us now. :p

I don't believe it's more expensive. The aftermarket shift linkage on my R6 costs as much as the stock one. *shrugs* And all u do is flip the do-hickey 180 degrees on the transmission spline.

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
Because not everyone likes it.

Suzuki is smart and makes it easy as hell to convert it though, not like many of the rest ;)

EvilSteve
03-14-2007, 03:31 PM
Not on the 06/07 bikes dude, the linkage hits the engine if you have your pegs & shifter in the standard location. You have to adjust the pegs and shifter to get it to work. It's usually super easy to adjust on Ducs.

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Not on the 06/07 bikes dude, the linkage hits the engine if you have your pegs & shifter in the standard location. You have to adjust the pegs and shifter to get it to work. It's usually super easy to adjust on Ducs.

Not on mine :D :D :D

http://i19.tinypic.com/3yqoy07.jpg

soda7o
03-14-2007, 03:38 PM
Not on mine :D :D :D

http://i19.tinypic.com/3yqoy07.jpg

nobody likes you.. REALLY!

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 03:42 PM
i msure th efeel ing ismu tual :)

soda7o
03-14-2007, 03:43 PM
i msure th efeel ing ismu tual :)

i will deficate all over your GP shift..!

Smokes35
03-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Just because it's been like that for years doesn't really justify why it is still like that. We used Bias ply tires for millions of years, but eventually manufacturers decided radials were better and look at us now. :p

I don't believe it's more expensive. The aftermarket shift linkage on my R6 costs as much as the stock one. *shrugs* And all u do is flip the do-hickey 180 degrees on the transmission spline.

The design of a tire dosent directly effect the funtion of the bike... they didnt redisign the steering wheel yet, even tho drive by wire joysticks exist and are functionally superior...

CBRBob
03-14-2007, 04:23 PM
You are all missing the point.... down for downshift, up for upshift.

Cakes206
03-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. Also, GP shift is only "better" in sense where it makes it a lot easier to grab an upshift while leaned over to the right. All you have to do is tap down instead of trying to reach under. I personally kept to standard shift.

NYCSTRIPES
03-14-2007, 04:43 PM
I agree with Bob's point. making the street bikes into GP shift pattern violates the KISS principle. Considering most people have less than a tiny amount of common sense or coordination, reversing the shift pattern on a motorcycle is generally a recipe for disaster.

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 04:47 PM
It's all about whatever your personal preference. Be it street or track I find it alot easier to get good positive upshifts by pressing down on the lever as opposed to yanking it upwards.

Obviously it's easier to hit false neutrals upshifting than down. So to me it just makes sense.

NYCSTRIPES
03-14-2007, 04:50 PM
Exactly what I was going to say. Also, GP shift is only "better" in sense where it makes it a lot easier to grab an upshift while leaned over to the right. All you have to do is tap down instead of trying to reach under. I personally kept to standard shift.

I was going to keep my bikes in the standard shift pattern as well, then I bought the TZ250 which has the GP shift pattern.
I will be changing the TLR to GP shift and spending the first couple of track days trying to get used to it. I can't see trying to run bikes in GP and standars shift patterns on the track, could lead to some trouble on the small bike. Mis-shifting on the TLR is less of a problem.
I am dyslexic, so thinking in reverse should be a snap
Ken

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 04:53 PM

I think you mean left ;)

Bster13
03-14-2007, 04:53 PM
It'd be nice if dealer's offered an option (free or perhaps $20 extra for the linkage) of standard or GP shift (kinda like automatic or standard in your car?) when u purchased a bike off the lot...Riding track these days, I wish I learned GP shift from the get go, then I'd be using it now. But I am so used to standard shift now that I keep with it on the track.

If I road track only or if my ST1100 street bike could be converted I'd give it a shot. :p

Bster13
03-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Both of u are right..left & right. When on a Right hand turn, if u have short legs it may be diffucult to reach under the shifter to grab an upshift. And when you are on a left hand turn, it may be difficult to get your foot under the shifter without dragging your boot.

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 04:57 PM
It's not really all that difficult to learn, at least not for me. I rode for 15 years with standard shift before I ever tried GP. Switched it on my 1K and was used to it in about 10 minutes (helps to have a gear indicator while practicing).

Hopped on my friends RC51 with standard and was able to adjust again no problem. Not as hard as you might think, just takes a few miles to reacclimate.

Cakes206
03-14-2007, 05:11 PM
I think you mean left ;)
No, I meant right. Hanging off the right side of the bike while in a right turn, I barely have the ball of my left foot on the left peg. If I wanted to grab an upshift I'd have to reach under the shift lever. I just make sure to get all my shifting done ahead of time, lol.
For me making sure I have a positive down shift for panic situations seems better for me.

Bster13
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
well if its not as easy to adjust back and forth SPL, then perhaps I'll give it a shot during the season, just not this first trackday on a new bike and first time back on the track since my accident. thx. for the info.

High_Revs_17
03-14-2007, 07:31 PM

+1

It all goes back to basics people, whoever couldn't figure this out please sign up here->www.rider-ed.com :lol:

SPL170db
03-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. And yes Bster, definately practice during some downtime. In the heat of battle you'll likely get overwhelmed and forget if it's your first time with your mind concentrating on that track.

ffejtable
03-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Also, just because its better on the track doesnt mean its better on the street. They are two very different riding environments and involve different techniques. You can't justify something being better on the street just because its done on the track.

The bottom line is street bikes have generally always been 1 downthe rest up, and there really is no extraordinary reason to change it. The situations where its "better" on the track are situations most people should never be in, on the street.

Cakes206
03-14-2007, 09:36 PM
The bottom line is street bikes have generally always been 1 downthe rest up
Along with dirtbikes, quads, ATC's, it is what it is.

Kennedy
03-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I did the switch on my street and track bike a probably about a year ago and if you decide to do this like SPL said.....you will fuck up once you are in a situation where you can't think and have to react on muscle memory and with that you will accidently downshift instead of upshift or vice versa....it has happened to me and it will happen to you.

tommymac
03-15-2007, 01:12 PM
No, I meant right. Hanging off the right side of the bike while in a right turn, I barely have the ball of my left foot on the left peg. If I wanted to grab an upshift I'd have to reach under the shift lever. I just make sure to get all my shifting done ahead of time, lol.
For me making sure I have a positive down shift for panic situations seems better for me.

Isnt that becasue youre short:doh: :roflmao:

Tom

John712
03-15-2007, 02:33 PM
i'll write a letter, send it out and let you know what the response was.

THANK YOU
PRAISE THE LORD!!
John

liquiddevil2000
03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
lolol..i luv where this is going!!!