PDA

View Full Version : Learn/Gearing on 2001 R6

Bster13
03-11-2007, 06:25 AM
This year I'll be riding a 2001 R6. The previous owner installed a +3 rear sprocket.

I am running VIR Patriot & VIR North next wknd and while I realize these are two totally diff. tracks, if you had to pick a rear sprocket (stock or +3), what would u pick? (With +3, will u run out of gearing down VIR's straight?)

Also, please take into consideration I'm moving from an SV to an R6 and it will take some time for me to get used to the power. If one sprocket will ease this transition better than the other, that sounds good to me. thx.

Bryce

Cakes206
03-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Should be fine. Going +3 for the rear sprocket is almost like going -1 for the front.

Bster13
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
OK, I realize that, but I guess what I'm getting at is I don't know what -1 or +3 ~feels~ like. Is it a minor difference or a new beast? All my bikes have always had stock gearing and I've never owned a modern generation supersport. (yes I know it's a 2001, but it miles ahead of my YZF600r I'm betting) Just wanna make sure I'm making learning the new bike as easy as possible. If it's worth the trouble to go to the rear sprocket, I'll do it if u guys say so. :)

IrocRob
03-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Why not try the stock gearing first, and then for your next track
day try the +3. This way, you learn something for yourself.:thumbup:

Cakes206
03-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Coming off an sv you'll notice it will be a lot different. Definitely need to relearn how the power gets laid down. In stead of going full throttle at the apex(like you can with an sv), you'll have to learn how to roll it on. Try to ride it like an sv and it'll definitely toss ya. That type pf gearing will give the bike a nice twitch down low. I'm -1 on the sv and just about see the shift light come on in 6th at the end of the back strait of Mosport(longer than vir I think,) so you shouldn't run out of gear. Hope this helps.

Bster13
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
"I'm -1 on the sv and just about see the shift light come on in 6th at the end of the back strait of Mosport(longer than vir I think,) so you shouldn't run out of gear. Hope this helps." <- ok cakes, thanks for the info. With my nakes SV (I think it had bigger rear sprocket than he faired version) I would top out on VIR North, but I bet that was more because of crap aerodynamics than anything else. Either way with ~40 more HP I will be payiong very good attn. to throttle control and I think u know why. ;)

DeFran
03-12-2007, 08:18 PM
I had a 00 R6 and your gearing should be at 15/49 or 48 and that gearing will be good at VIR N, Patriot, Summit, and Pocono.

What group do you ride in?

High_Revs_17
03-12-2007, 08:26 PM
In stead of going full throttle at the apex(like you can with an sv)

Holy :moocow: (that's a chocolate cow BTW ;) )

Bster13
03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I am at 16/51, so similar to 15/47 & 48. I'm not going to mess with it at this point.

I rode in Blue group with the SV, but have dropped to Red group on the R6 as it's new to me and my first time back on the track since "the incident." I'll be on a Orange/Black R6. It'd be great if you picked me out and followed me around a bit. What bike/color will u be on Bart? thx.