PDA

View Full Version : ? For My Fellow Techy/Nerds ;)

Shelly
03-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Is anyone else dealing with and/or stressing about DST crap for this weekend? ugh :( Ok, so our Data side of the house should be good since they get time from our time server...great..routers,etc. will be good...but our Video Conf. stuff has more parts to the equation..windows server, VC bridge time, client PC's who do the VC scheduling, oh and the conf's. kicking off correctly monday AM..blah! What a PITA is all I can say!!! frig. Can't wait til I'm back to Data side of house more primarily, so much more straight forward.

I get to change time/test on Sun. AM..yay..if all is good then I'm off riding for the day..true test is Mon. AM anyway...hey, if it breaks it's all on Microcrap...haha.

Just curious if other tech's have to deal w/ this sh*t as well over weekend so I'm not the only one stressing out/suffering needlessly :)

Shel

soda7o
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
nope.. alll done with testing ... for it looks good for all my apps...

jcblitz
03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
The latest updates of Java took care of it so I should be good. *Should be*. But we interface with a few 3rd party tools so who knows if they don't blow up.

SPL170db
03-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Nope, everything patched and good to go :)

ffejtable
03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Im actually in colorado visiting some friends, who are buried up to their heads in this nonsense. What I am confused about is why this wasnt done weeks or months ago, the law was passed a while ago. I am still amused why such a stupid law was changed to begin with.

shadoxkila
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
what the hell are you talkin about??

Cakes206
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
what the hell are you talkin about??
Daylight Savings Time. It's 3 weeks earlier than usual.

We have all scripts in place for all our switches. Also have the bits clock.

Rev
03-08-2007, 05:28 PM
I have no idea why they passed that law in the first place. I guess to make spring/summer longer..lol...but it's cool..the more daylight we gotz the better.

Does anyone know the real reason?

Sue
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I have no idea why they passed that law in the first place. I guess to make spring/summer longer..lol...but it's cool..the more daylight we gotz the better.

Does anyone know the real reason?

This is what I was able to find and what I had heard already...it's to conserve energy.

"Saving energy is what this is all about. The government says electricity for lighting our homes is directly connected to when we go to bed and when we get up. When we go to bed, we turn off the lights, computers and the TV. A study says Daylight Saving Time cuts electricity use by one percent each day".

SPRHK
03-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Shit, I had a hard enough time getting it downloaded to my blackberry. I was ready to drop-kick it into the weeds the other day. T-Mobile sucks! (Sorry Cakes)

Shelly
03-09-2007, 02:52 PM
LOL...uh-oh...yah know, there's outlets for that kinda anger...like riding ;) heeh...yeah, DST is causing too much havoc...had enuff. Be happy when it's next Friday already and my week has hopefully run fairly smooth...

Shit, I had a hard enough time getting it downloaded to my blackberry. I was ready to drop-kick it into the weeds the other day. T-Mobile sucks! (Sorry Cakes)

EvilSteve
03-09-2007, 08:44 PM
I've had a totally shit week, so much bullshit at work. Started out arriving at 9:20am on Monday and leaving at 3:30pm Tuesday. Then I was working from midnight til 3am Wednesday. I'm not on the night shift either. :-\

We just told our staff to expect the DST change and deal with it. Patched all the servers & computers too obviously but not going to run the dodgy MS tool to update all their calendar items.

Hoping for a better weekend and at this stage I really dgaf about DST. lol

jcblitz
03-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Well the clocks on our PC's are all 1 hour ahead of what they were supposed to be, it's a bug with one of windows exchange patches. But our software is working fine so that's good.

soda7o
03-12-2007, 01:10 PM
I've had a totally shit week, so much bullshit at work. Started out arriving at 9:20am on Monday and leaving at 3:30pm Tuesday. Then I was working from midnight til 3am Wednesday. I'm not on the night shift either. :-\

We just told our staff to expect the DST change and deal with it. Patched all the servers & computers too obviously but not going to run the dodgy MS tool to update all their calendar items.

Hoping for a better weekend and at this stage I really dgaf about DST. lol

you think that bad.. i have been comming into work at 4am for the past week and a half to work on issues with my london team.. bTW i have also been leaving the office aorudn 8ppm ny time... oh yeah tons of fun

Shelly
03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah, pretty much worked the entire weekend, other then getting out for a bit during the day on sat. and sun. but I'm exhausted...got in at 7am today and working til like 10/11pmish...WTF! I don't think they're paying me to be a damn slave and figure out the engineers side of what's going on but also fix it :( I'm not getting paid nearly enuff for this BS.