PDA

View Full Version : tow hitch for a car???

ronin_01r1
07-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Anyone seen one before? I want to get one installed on my car. i drive an infiniti i30t, same platform as the nissan maxima se.

The infiniti dealer quoted me about $300 for the hardware/wiring/etc...and 3 hrs labor for an SUV. Sounds like it'll cost about $500-600. I need to call back and ask if they'll do it for my car.

I found this site with hitches. Does anyone have any experience installing a hitch? It says all of it is bolt-on, no welding. And pricing is a lot cheaper than what the dealer quoted. I also have the option of bringing in everything to the dealer and they said they'll install it and only charge labor costs...but 3 hrs? The site says an amateur will install it in 50 minutes.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=I-30&image1.x=11&image1.y=10&image1=submit&category=hitch&year=2001&make=Infiniti&t1=&h=e

:bunny:

i feel like this bunny when it comes to hitches. lol.

soda7o
07-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Anyone seen one before? I want to get one installed on my car. i drive an infiniti i30t, same platform as the nissan maxima se.

The infiniti dealer quoted me about $300 for the hardware/wiring/etc...and 3 hrs labor for an SUV. Sounds like it'll cost about $500-600. I need to call back and ask if they'll do it for my car.

I found this site with hitches. Does anyone have any experience installing a hitch? It says all of it is bolt-on, no welding. And pricing is a lot cheaper than what the dealer quoted. I also have the option of bringing in everything to the dealer and they said they'll install it and only charge labor costs...but 3 hrs? The site says an amateur will install it in 50 minutes.

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=I-30&image1.x=11&image1.y=10&image1=submit&category=hitch&year=2001&make=Infiniti&t1=&h=e

:bunny:

i feel like this bunny when it comes to hitches. lol.

i have a friend thatworks for uhaul installin hitches.. he is in south NJ.. if youwant i can ask him if he can helpyou out ( for a small fee ofcourse)

ronin_01r1
07-22-2005, 09:59 PM
i have a friend thatworks for uhaul installin hitches.. he is in south NJ.. if youwant i can ask him if he can helpyou out ( for a small fee ofcourse)

sure! PM his contact info. i really appreciate it!

CBRBob
07-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Bolt on.....follow the directions and do it. If you can take the body off your bike and change the oil you can do this.

ezpunkx
07-23-2005, 03:44 AM
Its so freaking easy to do man. It helps to have an impact wrench though... I did mine in a bout an hour and a half. I recommend getting the no cut wiring harness!! you just plug it into the rear tail lights, and hide the wires in the panels and your done!! putting the hitch on involved, removing a couple bolts (which were rusted of course so i had to use my impact wrench. holding the hitch up without any bolts in was the hardest part... put 4 bolts in and your done.. presto.

njf4i
07-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey song if you go get the parts we can do the install at my shop in milltown. I have the impact wrench, and all the air tools your gonna need. Also don't forget a toque wrench.

I was able to install my hitch on my truck in about an hour.

My fee is only a 6 pack of beer. :nod2:

ronin_01r1
07-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey song if you go get the parts we can do the install at my shop in milltown. I have the impact wrench, and all the air tools your gonna need. Also don't forget a toque wrench.

I was able to install my hitch on my truck in about an hour.

My fee is only a 6 pack of beer. :nod2:

Awesome! I'm taking you up on this. I'm going to order a kit soon.

:jam2:

njf4i
07-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Awesome! I'm taking you up on this. I'm going to order a kit soon.

:jam2:

No problem. You know i got your back. :nod2:

DougZ
07-23-2005, 11:10 AM
I just put a hitch on my WRX about a month ago. Like Bob said, really easy to do. hardest part was trying to hold the thing up myself and get the bolts started on both sides. Other than that, cake.

ronin_01r1
07-24-2005, 02:31 AM
I just put a hitch on my WRX about a month ago. Like Bob said, really easy to do. hardest part was trying to hold the thing up myself and get the bolts started on both sides. Other than that, cake.

have you had any issues with your transmission, rear suspension/shocks, or anything esle? did u get the class 1 or 2? and where did u get yours from?

Cakes206
07-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Did someone say cake? :peep:

As far as the class goes, check your manual to see what class your car is rated for and go with that...or be lazy like me and just pick a trailer shop out the phone book and call and ask :lol:

DougZ
07-24-2005, 08:15 PM
have you had any issues with your transmission, rear suspension/shocks, or anything esle? did u get the class 1 or 2? and where did u get yours from?

I have had no issues so far. I towed again today. Did a north north jersey ride, and didn't feel like putting 200 plus miles on tired...so I towed to a buddies, rode for the day, and towed back.

I don't know what class is it...it is one specifically for the wrx/RS body style and made by Subaru.

Before I bought that one, a bunch of people were pointing me in the direction of U-haul hitches..made by Draw-Tite. pretty good and for every car from what I hear.

ronin_01r1
07-28-2005, 09:09 AM
my hitch is on it's way! I got it for only $70. Not bad considering my dealer wanted almost $300! woohoo. It's a Reese Class I trailer hitch made for my car. Now, I need to order the wiring...but not sure which one to get. What do you think I should go with? Am I getting a lot of useless junk with Option 2?

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dt/t1/18130.jpg
OPTION 1 ($16) - Taillight Converter by Draw-Tite w/ 4-Pole End
Adapts import and domestic vehicles with separate turn and stop lights (3-Wire System) to standard trailer taillight wiring (2-Wire System)

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/dt/t1/18251.jpg
OPTION 2 ($30) - 4-Pole Hardwire Kit with Converter (Includes Tester)
* Adapts import and domestic vehicles with separate turn and stop lights (3-Wire System) to standard trailer taillight wiring (2-Wire System)
* 18 Gauge Bonded Wires
* Taillight, Stop and Turn Functions Printed on Wires
* Includes 4 Insulated Butt Connectors
* Includes Eyelet and Screw For Mounting the Ground Wire
* Includes Circuit Tester

http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/hh/ele/31822.jpg
OPTION 3 ($20) - Taillight Converter with 4 Pole End
The standard taillight converter is used when a vehicle's stop lights are on a separate bulb from it's turn signals. The converter combines these functions making the system compatible with lights found on most trailers. This converter has a 60" lead (4-pole connector), 12" hook-up wire (passenger side wire measures 60"), and includes 4 scotch locks for connections to your vehicles wiring. * 3 Year Limited Warranty

CBRBob
07-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Looks like the 1st one is the way to go. Not sure if it is but they have ones that just plug in the harness, no cutting/splicing. DON'T use those Scotchlocks(blue push connectors), they WILL fail.

DougZ
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
here's my rig. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~dougz73/trailer.jpg

ronin_01r1
07-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Looks like the 1st one is the way to go. Not sure if it is but they have ones that just plug in the harness, no cutting/splicing.

do you remember where you saw those? the one with no cutting/splicing required.

ronin_01r1
07-28-2005, 09:32 AM
here's my rig. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~dougz73/trailer.jpg

nice. what size trailer is that? and can it hold 2 bikes?

DougZ
07-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Song..that is one of those Harbor Freight 4x8 cheap ones. I got it used from another track guy, but it does the job. yeah, it will hold two bikes, just real tight. I trailered, behind Jeff's truck, my GSXR and SV, down to the last track day and it was fine.

ronin_01r1
07-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Song..that is one of those Harbor Freight 4x8 cheap ones. I got it used from another track guy, but it does the job. yeah, it will hold two bikes, just real tight. I trailered, behind Jeff's truck, my GSXR and SV, down to the last track day and it was fine.

i found a Harbor Freight trailer new for $250 online. this is the type i was looking for. 2 bikes is perfect.

DougZ
07-28-2005, 11:49 AM
i found a Harbor Freight trailer new for $250 online. this is the type i was looking for. 2 bikes is perfect.

Yeah, just watch out for their famous backordering..they always do that with sales items. I bought mine used since I couldn't wait.