PDA

View Full Version : Oil leaking from driveshaft!!!

lightsdarkness
02-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I have a ninja 250 that, I bought for my friends to learn how to ride on and now its my gf's turn but I have a problem now.

I adjusted the valves about 3 weeks ago and then went for an aggresive ride after the adjustment. I put the bike away and after two weeks of it sitting it started leaking oil. It is leaking oil from the driveshaft. When I took off the front sproket I could clearly see that it was leaking from there. It leaks about a 1/2 a cup a minute when running. WHat can I do to fix this, I have never encountered this before. Any help would be great guys!

Smokes35
02-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Dont hold me to this, but i know on some bikes theres a seal that sits behind the drive shaft thingamajoo.... pull up a parts fiche and see if theres one there, if there is, theres a chance its a simple fix and its just a piece of rubber...

might also find out its buggered up... good luck.

SPRHK
02-23-2007, 02:02 PM
It's a countershaft, not a driveshaft. There is a seal that you need to replace. It is usually a very easy job to do. just be careful putting the new one on that you dont nick it going over the shaft. I usually wrap a layer of electrical tape to cover any possible sharp edges.

CBRBob
02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Anyone ever overtighten the chain? This usually wears the seal to one side....

lightsdarkness
02-23-2007, 08:17 PM
yeah i think the chain was to tight now that i am looking at it, but not crazy tight. Well lesson learned. I popped the seal out and now am waiting for a new one. Hopefully it should work flawlessly, but that is never the case.