View Full Version : TRE

soda7o
07-22-2005, 12:37 PM
what doe sit do..?
is it noticible?
is it necessary ?

AfricanBootyScratcher
07-22-2005, 01:02 PM
gets rid of the retarded timing in the first few gears by making the CPU think it's in 5th all the time.
slightly noticable, bike is a bit more peppey, throttle response is a little crisper though slightly more abrupt (so you have to be a little smoother bringing it on), and less engine braking when off throttle
no it's not neccessary

Cakes206
07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Timing Retard Eliminater...basically it advances your timing in the lower gears. I think the equivelent to the timing for 5th gear. I never did this so I don't know to much indepth about it...but people talk about it all the time and say there is a noticable difference...I dunno...I just did the pair mod(see How to Forum) and that was it.

soda7o
07-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks O
I dont know i am a mod junkie and since the bike is in pices now and i have access to all areas i figure i od it all now..

Commuta_Busa
07-22-2005, 01:10 PM
don't do it...

Commuta_Busa
07-22-2005, 01:19 PM
i guess i should elaborate...

The timming retard eliminator tricks the ECU into think it's always in 5th gear all of the time. Well, at least when the clutch is not disengaged.

I gaurantee you'll loose bottom end power in 1-4. Remember the factory has spent a ton of R&D cash to map each gear for fuel and spark. Why would you want to loose that functionality and always run the 5th gear map for all of your gears.... think about it.

The TRE was a quick design created to eliminate the soft rev limits for top speeds. In 6th gear once you get high enough in the revs there's a point where the timming is waaay retarded to prevent the engine from reving any further. The easieast way to prevent this is to fool the ECU into thinking it's not in 6th ever. The reason why they choose 5th instead of say 1st or 2nd as the default is because your the fuel igintion map for the lower gears wont run well in higher gears. This in turn means the 5th gear map is to fat for the lower gears. It'll run yes, but not as well as the correct map would.

btw... My bike has a TRE :LOL: but mines also mapped like mad!

DougZ
07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
My two cent advice:

I don't know about other bikes, but with Suzuki, specifically the SV1K, there are two ignition curves, one for gears first through third, and one for fourth through fifth. From the reading on all of the SV sites, Suzuki does this so that newbies don't acidental loop the bike, with a over aggressive throttle hand. The TRE I have makes it so that the bike is always usuing the latter to the two curves I mentioned above.

It doesn't make the bike any more power, top HP is still the same, but it does change how fast the power comes on. The SV650 guys say they don't notice a difference.
With the 1K, I definately feel a big difference. Only issue is cold start ups take a little longer.

advice over. :)

Commuta_Busa
07-22-2005, 01:32 PM
disclaimer: I have to admit i'm basing this on busa knowledge. which may be different than for other bikes. (good point doug)

Vin
07-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm going to do it on the SV. I won't do the PAIR mod because I like having the bike send out occasional pseudo-gunshots.

njf4i
07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Thanks O
I dont know i am a mod junkie and since the bike is in pices now and i have access to all areas i figure i od it all now..

Off topic:

Did you happen to purchase yourself a gsxr mr. soda? :confused:

Vin
07-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Off topic:

http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430 :)

I sense a few rides coming up!

soda7o
07-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Off topic:

if you want to call it that... i just say i bought a bunch of GSXR parts.. that hopefully in two weeks will be on the road as a 04 gix 750...