PDA

View Full Version : 17" rim conversion - Tire size choices

JoeyHonda
02-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a 95 900RR and my 17" F3 front rim should be here in a few days.

If all goes well, my only problem will be the choice of tires to fit on the new rim. Ideally I would like to keep the same steering geometry as the original 16" rim. My blade will be pulling track-only duty for at least the next ten months or so, and I am very comfortable with the way it handles now.

What tire sizes do the tire officianados suggest?

Secondary to all of that.... when I acquire another street ride... say for instance a 954RR or 1000RR.... I would like to use my own track takeoffs for the street so that I wont feel like I am wasting money on tires.... how would I factor in the new profile tire for both bikes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-jh

RCM78
02-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Most tires that are used on the track have higher profiles. Plus the 17" wheel is obviously larger then the OEM16". You'll have to drop the front end by raising the fork tubes through the triple clamps.

Measure your ride height before you switch wheels and then lower the bike to the same height after.

CBRBob
02-06-2007, 11:18 PM
120/70-17 is the standard. As far as takeoffs, as long as they are dots that are intended to be ridden on the street then ok. If they are supercorsas etc, then DONT. They never heat up to work correctly and they slide when you dont want them to!

tommymac
02-06-2007, 11:28 PM
This mean you will be comming by for tire changes:ride:

Tom

JoeyHonda
02-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Most tires that are used on the track have higher profiles. Plus the 17" wheel is obviously larger then the OEM16". You'll have to drop the front end by raising the fork tubes through the triple clamps.

Measure your ride height before you switch wheels and then lower the bike to the same height after.

So basically I can use the standard tire CBRBob mentioned and adjust the ride height accordingly?

I've been running BT020's/014 and similar Metz. I dont know if I am doing things right or I am just a pansy with the throttle, but I've yet to feel my tires slide in dry weather. I'm not really sure when I should step up to the softer compound/slick/race tires etc. but I am fine with my gradual progression for now.

Thank you for your input gentlemen!

Tommy... I'm only changing tires at your place if you're coming to VIR with us.:lol:

-jh

CBRBob
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
If you are serious about the track and still want to ride the street, something like a diablo corsa will do fine. You need to measure the overall height of the tire and if there are differences, move the bike up/down. That will be a strating point until you see the differences in the new setup. Then you may want to move the forks again, or not!

tommymac
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
So basically I can use the standard tire CBRBob mentioned and adjust the ride height accordingly?

I've been running BT020's/014 and similar Metz. I dont know if I am doing things right or I am just a pansy with the throttle, but I've yet to feel my tires slide in dry weather. I'm not really sure when I should step up to the softer compound/slick/race tires etc. but I am fine with my gradual progression for now.

Thank you for your input gentlemen!

Tommy... I'm only changing tires at your place if you're coming to VIR with us.:lol:

-jh

What weekend is it again and whos going. My work schedule is already out for late march so I have to see if I am working. I was/am planning on having my suspension looked at in march to see if i need new springs.

Maybe MK would come over and laugh at us while we change the tires LOL

Tom

JoeyHonda
02-07-2007, 12:27 AM
What weekend is it again and whos going. My work schedule is already out for late march so I have to see if I am working. I was/am planning on having my suspension looked at in march to see if i need new springs.

Maybe MK would come over and laugh at us while we change the tires LOL

Tom

march 9 VIR north.... call in sick... I know a guy in county that can get you a dr's note.... oh wait :doh:

why are you gonna do your suspension? fat bastards like us just end up ruining them anyway.

-jh

tommymac
02-07-2007, 12:30 AM
march 9 VIR north.... call in sick... I know a guy in county that can get you a dr's note.... oh wait :doh:

why are you gonna do your suspension? fat bastards like us just end up ruining them anyway.

-jh

I can write myself one I have abunch of them in my duffel bag LOL When I bought the bike the guy had it set up for a 190 pound rider which I will never be unless I loose a leg. I just want to see if we can dial itin better for my weight or will need new springs. I never realy adjusted anything last year aside from tightening up the front so it wouldnt bottom out.

Tom