PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point- safety questions...

Bster13
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
It's tough...

It's tough not to pass judgment on these courses based off old stereotypes ("Slippery Point").

It's tough not to listen to concerns about the walls being too close on the Shenandoah course.

It's tough to sign up for trackdays at this facility without some feedback from other TPM riders...so let's have it!

-How is the surface (overall grip, patches?) for each of these three courses? I keep seeing the patches (not sure if they are a prob.) and hear about it being slippery (though I have no idea which course is slippery among the 3.)

-How is the runoff/concrete barrier/Air Fence placement? Are you comfortable riding hard there?

I have a personal hangup with NHIS, if you guys tell me any of the Summit courses are like this I'll have to opt out, but I'd love to try some of these tracks because they are relatively close! thx.

Bryce

ffejtable
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I've done Summit main, and there is nothing slippery about the track/concrete patches... When its dry... I believe the slippery comments about main are when its wet.

Bster13
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the info. How were the transitions getting off and on the concrete patches? How was the runoff? Feel (relatively) safe? thx. again!

njracer
01-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I've done Summit main, and there is nothing slippery about the track/concrete patches... When its dry... I believe the slippery comments about main are when its wet.

Summit was known as Slippery Point back prior to 2001 before it was repaved. Prior to being repaved, traction in the dry is what traction in the wet is today.

njracer
01-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the info. How were the transitions getting off and on the concrete patches? How was the runoff? Feel (relatively) safe? thx. again!

If you don't like NHIS, you probably wont like Shenandoah. I have never turned a wheel on Shenandoah but I have no desire to do so.....maybe on my motard.

As for Summit main, the only real bad area is turn 4. If you go down in T4, expect a BIG hit...some walk away, others take a flight to the ER. However, the runoff in T4 is way better than it used to be. About 4 years ago, the racers got together with the track owner and created the move the mountain fund (the turn 4 hill is made of granit). The owner matched the riders fund and one of the racers brought in his construction team and blasted the wall back 50ft in some areas. With airfence it's not too bad but a crash there is not going to be good.

Bster13
01-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Ah, good to know. Now for comments on JC? Looks to be smaller (less speed) track, anyone comment on the surface and runoff?

Mack
01-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Shenadoah...I've riden it...I didn't mind the walls they were only close in slow turns...definately a very tight technical track and a hard ride....definately not big bike friendly I'm planning on taking the new 600 on it this summer but I'm a little dumb according to some on this board so whatever...just my 2 cents

tommymac
01-30-2007, 02:57 PM
I've done Summit main, and there is nothing slippery about the track/concrete patches... When its dry... I believe the slippery comments about main are when its wet.They did put some sealant down on the outside of the carousel thats kinda intresting if you go a little wide too.

Tom

NYCSTRIPES
01-30-2007, 03:42 PM
I am looking forward to giving Summit Main a run this season, timing has never been good for that in the past for me.
Ken

Cakes206
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Summit main is a great track...I haven't been on the other tracks so I can't comment. But in reality the only one who can tell you if its a good track for you, is you. I know you're trying to get the most info about the track first. Give it a try, go with an open mind, see how you like it. I can tell you that Summit Main is no where near as dangerous as NHIS. Although I never been to NHIS, this is a major reason why AMA dosen't race there anymore. At any rate, glad to see you'll be out there again!

Bster13
01-31-2007, 11:09 AM
My thoughts exactly Cakes, just trying to get a teaser b4 I give it a shot myself. I think I'll try Main and JC this year if I can swing it. Thanks!

njracer
01-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Summit main is a great track...I haven't been on the other tracks so I can't comment. But in reality the only one who can tell you if its a good track for you, is you. I know you're trying to get the most info about the track first. Give it a try, go with an open mind, see how you like it. I can tell you that Summit Main is no where near as dangerous as NHIS. Although I never been to NHIS, this is a major reason why AMA dosen't race there anymore. At any rate, glad to see you'll be out there again!

FWIW - if you look at summit vs nhis on race weekends, summit has far more riders taking an medivac on a regular basis. As much as I don't like NHIS, I've been around that track probably like 1000 times. Eventhouh the AMA does not race there at this time (they may return) the track is quite safe. Between the owners of NHIS and LRRS, they deploy more airfence than any track I've ever been to...IN THE NAME OF SAFETY. If you've never been there, give it a try, it's quite a demanding track with zero places to rest. It's all point and shoot with some good elevation changes. Not to mention, the infield is quite nice with tons of electric box's and showers that will not scare you.

nj

Cakes206
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
FWIW - if you look at summit vs nhis on race weekends, summit has far more riders taking an medivac on a regular basis. As much as I don't like NHIS, I've been around that track probably like 1000 times. Eventhouh the AMA does not race there at this time (they may return) the track is quite safe. Between the owners of NHIS and LRRS, they deploy more airfence than any track I've ever been to...IN THE NAME OF SAFETY. If you've never been there, give it a try, it's quite a demanding track with zero places to rest. It's all point and shoot with some good elevation changes. Not to mention, the infield is quite nice with tons of electric box's and showers that will not scare you.

nj

Layout vs. layout, no air fence...just the tracks as they are, which one would you say is a safer track?

tommymac
01-31-2007, 12:22 PM
I actualy like loudon too but what the hell do I know:roflmao:

You could aslo argue if the ama would run at summit point

Tom

Bster13
01-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I'll let you guys mull the two tracks over....I'm willing to give Summit a try, NHIS...not so much. I don't preach no one else should go there, just tell them my story and they seen to understand why I personally don't choose to ride there. ;)

As always, I'll try my best to keep it on two wheels and then it won't matter about the safety, but always nice to feel relatively safe at a track, cause even if u are riding well, if someone T-bones u, it's out of your control. *cheers*

njracer
01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
Layout vs. layout, no air fence...just the tracks as they are, which one would you say is a safer track?

OK....no airfence, but what about tire walls?

If we include the tire walls it's very close (both tracks have them). I say this because NHIS uses the much softer indy tires vs Summit's use of car/truck tires. I say it's close because of the difference in speeds. On my 600 and even my 750, NHIS is mostly a 3rd/4th gear track with some turn being 2nd gear turns. The speeds are much lower at NHIS vs the speeds at Summit. Most of the stuff at NHIS is more in line with T5 thru T8 at Summit.

That being said, I might have to still say NHIS and I only say this because I raced on both for years without airfence and I witnessed many more deaths at Summit. Over the last 12 years I think more than 5 riders have passed away at Summit vs the 1 or 2 that I can remember at NHIS....and I've only been racing at Summit for 6 to 7 years.

Cakes206
01-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Hmm, interesting stuff...

ffejtable
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

If you are on line, the transition o/off the concrete patches arent bad at all. When I was there I spent much of the day offline trying to get around tons of slow art basic guys, and it wasnt much fun. I do want to give the track another try, however.

I don't recall runoff being much of an issue, but i've been there just once, a few others have commented on this already though... Since I am horribly slow, I usually feel pretty safe.

Mike295
01-31-2007, 02:06 PM
Honestly. to each their own. what others call safe is another persons safty hazard. Try it out. see how you like it. I like summit. Other places i have been i dont like so much. Mosport i would never go back to while others love the place. I would cosider running daytona in the current ama configueration but the old way i wouldent even think about it.

Bster13
01-31-2007, 02:09 PM
I agree, to each his own, u'll never know for sure until you try, just trying to make an educated deicison on what days to sign up for. thanks.

Mike295
01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
I agree, to each his own, u'll never know for sure until you try, just trying to make an educated deicison on what days to sign up for. thanks.

Ill give you some good advice for that..

If you dont care so much about long drives... VIR those canad tracks other then mosport...

If u wwant to be within a 4 hour drive you have pocono and summit. Ask njracer he is old and will tell you those long drives hurts his bones