PDA

View Full Version : damper/stabilizer?

yb929rr
01-25-2007, 11:24 AM
they say the only stupid question is the unasked one so.........

what is the difference between steering stabilizer and steering damper?(if any)

Duff750
01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
You guessed it man, difference = nadda. There's different kinds of them though. There is the kind like comes stock on suzuki's that is a oil filled cylinder that works kinda like the cylinder on your screen door... And there is the kind that mounts to the top mounting bolts on your fuel tank then reaches up and hooks to the tree

soda7o
01-25-2007, 11:35 AM
no diff same shit just peopel clal it diff things

yb929rr
01-25-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks!

CBRBob
01-25-2007, 11:20 PM
The one the size of a fist is called a rotary damper, the one that looks like a small shock is called a linear damper. I prefer a certian liner style one but all good name brands work well. The question is, do you need it? Is your suspension setup properly, are you riding the bike properly etc. Just don't call them dampENers LOL!

yb929rr
01-26-2007, 08:30 AM
Just don't call them dampENers LOL!

:lol: Almost did but didn't sound right so i went back and checked the spelling!

I just got my suspension set up at WCW. As for riding correctly......i got a long way to go!:LOL:

CBRBob
01-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Keep your weight on your legs. NEVER lock your elbows and put much weight on the bars.

yb929rr
01-26-2007, 09:35 AM
thanks for the advice bob.
i ride with weight and toes on the pegs and don't lock my elbows. my problem is i have a death grip. even when i write w/ a pen my hands go numb from the grip. when i really think and concentrate i can relieve it a little, but it takes concentration away from what i consider more important things.

Xracer264
01-26-2007, 10:23 AM
thanks for the advice bob.
i ride with weight and toes on the pegs and don't lock my elbows. my problem is i have a death grip. even when i write w/ a pen my hands go numb from the grip. when i really think and concentrate i can relieve it a little, but it takes concentration away from what i consider more important things.

So...Make a conscious effort to keep a firm but relaxed grip on the bar and breath while riding then it will become second nature to you.

yb929rr
01-26-2007, 10:32 AM
thanks racer.
i'll give it a try.

ronin_01r1
01-26-2007, 10:43 AM
So...Make a conscious effort to keep a firm but relaxed grip on the bar and breath while riding then it will become second nature to you.

i read or heard someplace that a rider took up yoga to help him regulate his breathing better while on the track.

Xracer264
01-26-2007, 11:45 AM
i read or heard someplace that a rider took up yoga to help him regulate his breathing better while on the track.

Yup I think that was in Sport Rider. ALOT of riders forget to breath during a trackday session or race cause they are so focused on the track and for good reason but you MUST breath to remain relaxed and focused.

Retom7
02-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I forgot to breathe last time I rode and about 2 minutes into the ride, I blacked out. Thanks to the gyroscopic forces, I stayed up, but THAT could have been bad! Breathe dammit! Breathe!

Yoga would be good for other things too I'm sure. Between flexibility, relaxation, clear thinking, etc. Think of all the possibilities!