PDA

View Full Version : **Heads Up Info on MotoGp Roo Suits**

Cakes206
01-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Taken from one of the most famous leather repair man in the racing industry...Barnacle Bill...

it's probably none of my business, well actually it is my business as is the safety of my clients but this is the 3rd motogp roo suit I have had in here in two weeks with catastrophic seam and leather panel failure. looks like as the hump hits the ground it is ripping the back and arm out of the suit. here are some pics of the damage done. this is the third one of these in two weeks with exactly the same damage . Alexa how many of them like this have you seen? riders need to know. thanks, b bill

WERA Board thread
http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=130268

Something to think about.

John712
01-21-2007, 09:44 AM
dude, thanks for the heads up, i was going to get on this season to. so close to getting one a few times to, but stepped away from it because i said i'll just wear the one i got for the rest of the season and get it next season

High_Revs_17
01-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Was a formal complaint filed with Quality Control at the Corporate Headquarters of MotoGP?

SPRHK
01-22-2007, 01:43 PM
All the more reason you should look into Vanson leathers. I threw mine down the track with me in them, and except for a few scuff marks, the held up GREAT!!

Kennedy
01-22-2007, 03:03 PM
I have JR speedmaster 2 piece leather suit that has been through 4 get offs with just me....I don't even know how many crashes pilot was in with this same suit.,...............

RCM78
01-22-2007, 09:32 PM
MotoGP's new Titan suit looks pretty good. The leather is Cowhide and is much thicker then the Roo or base cowhide suits. It also has titanium exterior armour on top of the standard armour.

These suits are built to a price point. Good quality Roohide is hard to get and is EXPENSIVE.

I'll stick with my Vanson. It's done it's job very well so far.

Ant
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Fuck :(

Gigantic
01-23-2007, 06:49 PM
I Remember the seams on Dave Mack's moto gp suit exploded after his crash @ the kink at BeaverRun. not what I'd want in a suit, that's for sure. You really can't go wrong with a vanson- but they're in to way built to a price point like the Moto GP suits...
Lance

CBRBob
01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Then again, if you act NOW, you MIGHT just have your Vanson in time for the season to start.

The 2008 riding season :)

High_Revs_17
01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Then again, if you act NOW, you MIGHT just have your Vanson in time for the season to start.

The 2008 riding season :)

And that's only for black leathers, any other color, especially red, will be ready for pickup by '09! :ohmygod:

NYCSTRIPES
01-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Crap. I picked up one of these suits from TPM at the Bike Show last Friday. DHL just delivered it today. Now I am on the fence about keeping it after reading that. I posted on that thread and asked what BB can do with a MotoGP suit to reinforce it and how much it will cost to do so. Then I will decide if its worth keeping it.
I purchased it for two reasons, the Roo suits are supposed to be tougher than cowhide and they are lighter. If wearing one will possibly blow up, that would not be good.
Thanks for the heads up Joe.
Ken
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/nycstripes/2007BikeShow021.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b238/nycstripes/2007BikeShow019.jpg

NYCSTRIPES
01-24-2007, 02:34 AM
At 90-100 bucks to have it reinforced by Barnacle Bill, I may wind up keeping this suit. I just have to weigh out some options about alternative suits in that price range. Shame to have to do something like that to a new suit, but it beats having to wonder about the integrity of the suit you have on while riding.
Ken

lateapex
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I watch someone toss the bike away at VIR North turn 1 with a MotoGP suit and it only had a few scratches on it and he walked away with a slight rash on his forearm. I seen others crashed motogp suits but never with that much damage.

Cakes206
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Thought I'd bump this up for everyone.

DeFran
10-24-2007, 10:28 PM
So far I have one highside and 3 lowsides on my Moto GP Roo suit and so far no blowouts on mine.:cheers:

CBRBob
10-24-2007, 11:19 PM
The last one was pretty lame tho :doh:

NYCSTRIPES
10-25-2007, 01:27 AM
I had my suit reinforced by Barnacle Bill. Glad I did. After two hard lowsides this season, the suit held up well except for coming slightly apart in the areas that I had reinforced. I would think that if I had not spent the $100 to have the shoulder seams reinforced, the suit might have come apart like some of the others.
Hopefully the MotoGP suits will be upgraded in light of this issue, but in the meantime, $100 is well worth the price of have the issue with existing suits addressed and made safer.
In the meantime, I will be sending my suit back to BB during the off season for some needed repairs.
Ken

Cakes206
10-25-2007, 08:51 AM
The last one was pretty lame tho :doh:
:doh:

Surfinglbi23
12-23-2007, 11:38 PM
I went with the Hein Gericke Celtic suit from sportbiketracktime, worth looking at, great suit