PDA

View Full Version : CCS Daytona

yetidave
01-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Anyone racing? I'll be heading down for the Hammer school practice on Thursday, then racing Fri, Sat, and Sunday,

Cakes206
01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Good luck Dave! Keep us posted.

Mack
01-16-2007, 12:06 PM
good luck and have a good time

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I'll be heading down if I can get my sh*t together. I have a motor in pieces and another bike that needs to be assembled still. That track is way hard on motors since it's an "all-motor" track. I had a bunch of top 10 finshes in october but I knew I could have run better had my bike been running better on the top end. Probably also didn't help that my akro canister blew itself apart.

yetidave
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
I'll be heading down if I can get my sh*t together. I have a motor in pieces and another bike that needs to be assembled still. That track is way hard on motors since it's an "all-motor" track. I had a bunch of top 10 finshes in october but I knew I could have run better had my bike been running better on the top end. Probably also didn't help that my akro canister blew itself apart.

Any part of the bike I should be paying special attention to? The bike's a brand new '07 with about 400 miles on it. It's completely prepped, but I just know some stupid shit I wouldn't consider in a million years will bite me in the ass.

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I take apart the triples and grease and torque the head bearings. From the factory they use a shitty lithium grease and don't usually put enough of it in there. This is something that if you have time to do, I would. If not, then do it another time.

Loctite, loctite, and loctite. And even a dab of clear silicone over some nuts. 170+ mph can rattle stuff loose pretty quick. Sprocket carrier bolts and sprocket bolts MUST be checked after each time you're on the track. And check your axle and chain adjusters as well. Make sure your every nut and bolt on your rearsets and linkage is loctited. The oil filter needs to be safety wired in case you didnt get that already but I'm sure you probably did.
If you don't have a double bubble wind screen, get one. You want to be as tucked in as possible.
Also follow the tire guys reccomendations. If you are using dunlops you won't have an issue. They run higher pressures to keep the tires from heating and expanding and it works. Pirellis were getting destroyed but hopefully they learned something from the 8-hr moto-st race that they'll pass on to everyone.

I would try to get a little more mileage on the motor and start getting into that upper rpm range bit by bit. Even if it is just an hour or two of dyno time. Bring it to the coaches meeting if we have another one at Warhorse.

Do the practice day but ride it at like 80-90% of its limit. Short shift and don't ring it out into the red. After practice or before your last practice session, drain the oil, replace the filter and go for it. :-)

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
And oh, don't forget to loctite the battery bolts. And make sure any of your accesory wires for like a powercommander or quickshifter are wrapped, zipped and secured.

If the bike is dyno'd and tuned before you go down there, just remember that daytona is at sea level.

If you run VP Race Fuel, you must bring your own or you can pre-order it from Prieto Racing or a couple other companies that will be down there. But VP is not allowed in at the track. I found that out the hard way in October. You can get sunoco race fuel at the track. If it's a stock bike then you might want to just run sunoco 100 which is the same as Cam 2. It's burns a bit crisper than standard fuel since there is no additives. It is what I started using in '05 before I started spending $14/gallon on VP's U4.

yetidave
01-16-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the knowledge Eric. ;) That's just the kind of stuff I was looking for. Let me know if you end up going and I'll buy you dinner.

Barbi
01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
HEY buy meeee dinner :hyper: I'll be there!

:lol:

yetidave
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM
HEY buy meeee dinner :hyper: I'll be there!

Ok. :)

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
no problem. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Don't forget to get garage space too. the open air garages are pretty nice for $150 bucks. They are covered and have electric hook ups but none of the garages have air, so make sure you have a tank or a portable compressor with you. The only problem with the open air garages is if it rains.

Come 6pm the place is also on lockdown. It's really annoying. Not like the other tracks where you can work all night. They kick you out.

Also, you come in with your trailer, unload stuff and then you have to bring your truck and trailer out into the infield parking area.

And the dumbest thing in the world, which is actually pretty important, is that you are NOT allowed to ride bicycles in the paddock area. It has to be about the dumbest thing ever. But the only way that you are allowed to get around is by motorized pitbike/scooter/quad, etc.

Thanks for the knowledge Eric. ;) That's just the kind of stuff I was looking for. Let me know if you end up going and I'll buy you dinner.

yetidave
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I'm working on lining up one of the garages. So I guess there is no camping inside the track huh? That blows. I guess I'll have to find a rom somewhere.

Barbi
01-16-2007, 05:09 PM
the infield parking isn't that far from where you need to be.. I'd camp rather than attempt to find a room.

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 05:20 PM
if you have an RV you can park it in the outside parking lot area outside the main gates. Seems like a lot of people do that.

I have a house rented down there. A couple of the beds I think are called for but I might have one left. The other option is to just pitch you tent in the back yard. The back yard is big and flat with grass so it would work well for that. I have a couple guys from 600rr.net that also do trackdays with TPM staying with me. You might know erick. He brought his huge bbq smoker to VIR last spring. or it might of been sept before that? I dunno. lol. it all melts together. But anyway, a couple of good guys will be there and the house is about 5 minutes from the track. It ends up being like 35-40 bucks a night.

Also, when I get my act together I will let you know if I am getting a garage. I would like to share a garage with two, three people max. I also graduated from AMI down there about 10 years ago so I grab a few of the students to do tire changes, wheel swaps, fuel, and whatever. I pay the $50 bucks for their pit passes and they get some experience. This year it will probably be assitance for whoever is in the garage so I just ask that whoever is in the garage kick in a bit for the paddock passes and the food I supply. They aren't getting paid so I at least keep 'em fed!
Yeah, I'm working on lining up one of the garages. So I guess there is no camping inside the track huh? That blows. I guess I'll have to find a rom somewhere.

Barbi
01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Did I hear you say you were gonna give me a pit pass too?

Onedwn5up
01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
You can share the master bed with me if you want :-) And I just might have an extra pit pass, not sure tho.
Did I hear you say you were gonna give me a pit pass too?

yetidave
01-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Eric, I'm all about sleeping in my tent in the backyard. That would be perfect. Just let me know what you want $$ wise. Ditto for sharing the garage and helpers.

Do you want me to reserve a garage, or has someone taken care of it?

yetidave
01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Oh, and Barbi, I got your pit pass if you're willing to help in the pits. I'll bring the Bbq (unless someone else is) and plenty of meat to grill.

Barbi
01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
Hell yeah I'll help in the pits.. shit.. I'll be an umbrella girl :naughty: hehe j/k
but seriously, I'll help out however I can if you want. What days... I was planning on coming down to watch the races Saturday. Mabye I need to *cough* take a day or two off ;)

Onedwn5up
01-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Race start on Friday with the Team Challenge event. That is one of the things where the more hands on deck the better since there are rider cnages and pit stops. Just having someone there to hold a water bottle is important stuff. I did 30 laps around the place and was running as high as 3rd overall at one point and I damn near collapsed after I got off the bike.

Dave, if there is one thing you should do, starting as soon as possible, is go to the gym and do lots of overhead pull downs, military presses and chest/back rows from the sitting down position. The g-load the bank puts on you makes it feel like you have a 50 lb bag of sand between your shoulder blades and on the back of your neck. It's ridiculous. never felt anything like that before.

Also, get a half inch piece of foam or some egg crate and bring that with you. A lot of people will cut a piece to fit in the front chest area of their suit. The banking sucks you down against the tank and if you can lean on your chest it alleviates a lot of stress on your arms. Some people put blocks of foam on top of their tanks even.

yetidave
01-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I've heard about the foam in the front of the leathers trick. And I've been hitting the Russian kettle bells extra hard every day for the last 5 months to prepare for the Daytona g's. :nod2:

Barbi
01-17-2007, 02:14 PM
I can hold a waterbottle ;)

Onedwn5up
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
hey, just started a thread for rooms at the house I have rented in daytona. If you are still in need, let me know and post up!
-Eric
http://sportbikeaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58277#post58277

Barbi
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I took off that Friday :) I'm all ready to be the "water" girl :lol: but really, I want to help out if I can. I think it'd be a blast! I have about 3 other friends that will be racing on Friday as well.

Can't wait... its gonna be a fun week!

yetidave
02-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I'll be the one wearing the Vanson leathers with a big, red "Yeti" across my ass and "Team ProMotion" across my back and on both arms.

Barbi
02-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Alright.. its gettin closer, Eric? You never got back to me on the room. You still have any available?