PDA

View Full Version : Rumor, MOTOGP to INDY in 2008?

NYCSTRIPES
12-23-2006, 04:18 PM
Rumor about MOTOGP coming to Inianapolis in 2008, I'll believe it when I see it. Not one track other than Laguna meets the FIM standard, I am just curious to see if any track makes the modifications necessary to host such an event. Lots of money to reconfigure tracks, still not too much $$ support for our chosen sport.
http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10286
Ken

RCM78
12-23-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm surprised Miller Motorsports park doesnt meet the FIM requirements...

Mike295
12-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm surprised Miller Motorsports park doesnt meet the FIM requirements...

yeah I read that couple days ago....

Miller will probably get an FIM inspection this year. Honestly two us gps is a verygood possibility. But one at miller and laguna I dont see happening. Two gps in the us on the west coast or rathe west of the missisippi just dont make sence. Indy sounds great for us over here. They will go to miller when their contract at laguna runs out.

ffejtable
12-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Miller is pretty much darn spanking new, isnt it? i would think all of these things would have been taken into consideration during the initial layout of the track _IF_ they ever had plans to go that route. Of course not officially meeting the requirements could mean that they just havent spent the money to get it "certified"... In any industry those things usually arent free.

Mike295
12-26-2006, 10:02 AM
you can almost book the gp at miller in two years when the laguna contract runs out.

Lucky7
02-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Closer to reality. Apparently FIM just approved the track for racing. Target is Aust 2008

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/moto/motogp/35528/

SAXON117
02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Miller and Indy would be awesome, with Laguna already three races in the states.

can I get a AMEN?

Lucky7
02-21-2007, 09:19 PM
AMA Superbike is said to be one of the support races. I'd rather see the 250s.

Regradless, I sure as hell I'm making it to this.

CBRBob
02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Its a lot to spend to bring motogp to the us, having 2 or 3 here would actually make sense for them to make $!

EvilSteve
02-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Indy is a crap track, the infield is basically flat and compared to Miller or Barber would make a horrible race track. I know it has sentimental value to a lot of Americans but seriously, there are better tracks.

IrocRob
02-26-2007, 03:09 PM
Indy is a crap track, the infield is basically flat and compared to Miller or Barber would make a horrible race track. I know it has sentimental value to a lot of Americans but seriously, there are better tracks.

Yes, Miller is a better race track, but it's pretty flat as well.
Barber is just too small, MotoGP bikes wouldn't get past 3rd gear.

The IMS is completely self financed, so they don't need any help from
the local government, and is willing to spend the money in order to
make the event happen. No place else on earth that I know of has the
ability to put so many paying spectators around a racetrack.
From a business point of view, it's THE track to race at in North America.

EvilSteve
02-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I can't disagree with that Rob, but I'm not approaching it from a business perspective. Do they get out of 3rd at Laguna? I guess they do. I didn't think Miller was that flat, there's at least a couple of sections that aren't. Anyway, I see your point, I just think from the fans POV, it'd be better held elsewhere.

IrocRob
02-26-2007, 03:25 PM
...I just think from the fans POV, it'd be better held elsewhere.

Agreed, but the closer to us, the better. Too bad it'll never happen at Thunderbolt.

EvilSteve
02-26-2007, 03:47 PM
lol! All we need is a international grade covered & heated track here in the NE. ;)

Lucky7
02-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Agreed, but the closer to us, the better. Too bad it'll never happen at Thunderbolt.

Never say never. Thunderbolt is supposed to be a 3.98 mile track at full completion, almost a mile longer than the GP course at Indy. It's location is central to NY and Philadelphia, and from an economic standpoint, if you want to grow your viewership, you'd do it in the Northeast.

IrocRob
02-26-2007, 04:46 PM
...Never say never...

It's my understanding that Thunderbolt is being built to
FIM "Grade B" standards, which means that it is not suitable for
Grand Prix racing, but is suitable for all other types of road racing,
such as Superbike, Supersport, and Superstock.
What the actual differences are, I don't know.
And I've read through the FIM regulations, at least those that I could find.

WSBK in NJ anyone? :ride:

EvilSteve
02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
That would be awesome. Even if there was an AMA SBK race in NJ it'd be great.