PDA

View Full Version : spocket/chain

RAC
10-23-2006, 11:26 AM
So I think it's time for a new chain and spocket. What is the difference between these 520 conversion kits I see and stock and which is better???? Thanks guys!

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
So I think it's time for a new chain and spocket. What is the difference between these 520 conversion kits I see and stock and which is better???? Thanks guys!
The #'ing is for size. Most stock bikes have a 525. Bigger bikes can have a 530. 520 conversion user a smaller chain with smaller sprocket teeth(size wise.) The bennies to a 520(less rotating mass) aren't really noticed for street use. Track days sure, racing definitely. If you do decide to do the 520, DID ERV3 w/Afam sprockets are the way to go :nod2:

RAC
10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Another Pitt Bull product Joe???? Dude I seriously hope you are getting a check from them!!!!! I'm not into racing so what to you recomend??

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Another Pitt Bull product Joe???? Dude I seriously hope you are getting a check from them!!!!! I'm not into racing so what to you recomend??
LOL...I've had the same chain and sprockets on the track bike 3 years now, the edges on the teeth still look like the day I got it, money well spent IMHO. Depending on what your using the bike for, and for how much longer you plan on keeping the bike, stick with OEM then. Be sure keep up with proper maint. like chain tension, cleaning the sprockets(grease build up around the teeth,) cleaning and lubing the chain. That in itself will make for a longer lasting set up.

tommymac
10-23-2006, 12:29 PM
For the street the stock 525 or 530 is more than adequate, just get good sprockets so that they last fora long time. And like Joe said with good maintenance you can easily get between 10 and 20k miles from a chain/sprockets.

Tom

RAC
10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Rear sprocket is 40 from yamaha can't find the little front one. Whats that called?? I want to get a "cool" chain any suggestions on where to get 1?

ronin_01r1
10-23-2006, 01:02 PM
i need one too.. can't believe mine is starting to show signs of rust! i put on a lot of miles riding in the rain.. i should've been more mindful.

RAC
10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Mine just looks really shitty and I want to replace them. There is nothing wrong with them other than they look like shit.

ronin_01r1
10-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Mine just looks really shitty and I want to replace them. There is nothing wrong with them other than they look like shit.

are they beyond cleaning?

RAC
10-23-2006, 01:21 PM
Yeah. Spocket has some surface rust on it.

sonny
10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
My chain has a bit of rust on the inside from doing 300+ miles in the rain..

I'll buy the DID kit probably. -1 front, +2 rear.

:ride: zoom

ffejtable
10-23-2006, 02:46 PM
My stock chain and sprockets (525/steel) lasted me 20k+ miles and still had plenty of life left... I just didnt see the need to risk pushing it more than that, though. I swapped it out with a 520/aluminum kit only because I wanted to have the same setup on the street and track bike.

I'd highly recommend sticking with the stock setup. You arent going to see too many 520/alum setups last 20k+ miles.

Changing the gearing -1/+2 is another story and fine, for the most part. I've heard going -1 in the front may reduce longevity/increase wear, but havent seen any evidence of it...

RAC
10-23-2006, 02:59 PM
WHY IS THE CHAIN THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART OF DOING THIS??

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
WHY IS THE CHAIN THE MOST EXPENSIVE PART OF DOING THIS??
Where are you pricing? Talk to anyone of our vendors(see the banner ads.) Ron from WCW(hes the closest) will hook ya up, tell em we sent ya.

RAC
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm looking online. I find the best prices there.

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Ron always tell us, "If you find a good price online, just give me a call and give me the chance to either beat it, or at the very least match it." He totally stands by his word too, if he can't do anything with price he'll tell you strait up. Get to know him, you'll go nowhere else.

RAC
10-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I have a few problems with some of the prices/service some places give. For some reason they both have the word Honda in them??? rt23 & rt15 The Yamaha place on 23 is great though Jim the service manager is a stand up guy.

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 03:34 PM
I have a few problems with some of the prices/service some places give. For some reason they both have the word Honda in them??? rt23 & rt15 The Yamaha place on 23 is great though Jim the service manager is a stand up guy.
Seems like your issues have been with stealerships...and well, umm, duuh. WCW is not a dealership, its a small shop that has ALOT of product in stock. The plus side to that is that they're honest people, if you tell him you think you need a part, he won't try to sell you the most expensive one...he'll give you options...if you ever get a chance to go there, you'll see what I'm talking about...do a search for wcw(washington cycle works) see what everyone else says...everyone can't be wrong.

ps...all vendors here on SBA will take care of our members, and no I don't get any kick backs LOL.

Ant
10-23-2006, 03:58 PM
WCW will not rip you off and they will give you excellent service. 4 bikes later and I keep going back to them. They are like a part of my family now. And they will ALWAYS stand behind their work no matter what.

In my experience even if they can't price match exactly i will still go there for peace of mind that if something happnes they will just take care of it for me.

ffejtable
10-23-2006, 04:13 PM
WCW is a great place to deal with, if they are close enough to make it worthwhile... :) I am almost an 1.5hrs away, so my business with them has been pretty much limited to suspension tunes in the spring, and a NRC stator cover which they could get me quicker (and CHEAPER) than getting it from NRC (the manufacturer) directly.

RCM78
10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
Big up's to WCW. If you live close by theres no reason to buy from anyone else.
I buy as much as I can from Ron but some things you need to try on and the shop is about 2hrs from my house...

I bought my last chain and sprockets from Ron. DID ERV3 and Renthal sprockets. The AFAM sprockets are very good too. They just didnt have one for my R1 in stock at the time...

pillaka
10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
do they rebuild suspension/shocks?

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Yup.

Ant
10-24-2006, 06:45 AM

They're speciatly is really, suspension. They did my GSXR 1000 and set up my 600rr. Just tell them how you want the bike and they will do it.

RAC
10-26-2006, 09:31 AM
What's better, Stainless steel or kevlar when it comes to brake lines. I'm sure joe is going to give me a pittbull product.

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 09:45 AM
What's better, Stainless steel or kevlar when it comes to brake lines. I'm sure joe is going to give me a pittbull product.
Damn man, I can only give info on what I use and know, lol. I personally have never used kevlar lines so I can't comment on them. However, I've used stainless lines on both street and track bikes, and it makes a big difference from stock rubber lines which flex under pressure. Not sure what lines are on the track bike as they were already on there when I bought the bike. Street bike I had Goodridge lines. If you really want some crazy stoping power, SS lines with HH pads :nod2:

njracer
10-26-2006, 09:45 AM

BTW - which chain are you looking at??

DID EVR3 (520) is the way to go.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=%3E+PERFORMANCE+PARTS%3ACH AINS

RAC
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm just busting your balls Joe. I have certain brands I like and don't like too. I've heard lots about stainless but not too much on kevlar so I guess I'll go with SS. Joe does pittbull make SS brake lines????? LOL :roflmao:

NJRACER I found a take off for an 03-05 calling shop today to see if it will work on my bike. It has no miles on it so I'm taking Joe's suggestion to stick with stock.

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Joe does pittbull make SS brake lines????? LOL :roflmao:
LOL, nope, but they do carry 520 kits and their own steering dampers :lol:

Speaking of Pitbull, their new Jack Stands look pretty cool.

RAC
10-26-2006, 10:12 AM
The one with wheel that lets you move the bike when it is up? Speaking of Dampers what are the pros/cons in using them and what the hell do they do?:huh:

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Speaking of Dampers what are the pros/cons in using them and what the hell do they do?:huh:
Dampers keep the front end steering more stable. Bike will also be less prone to tank slappers. Cons about a damper? I personally can't think of any other than price, and even then when talking about saftey, a well worth investment.

njracer
10-26-2006, 11:12 AM
If you really want some crazy stoping power, SS lines with HH pads :nod2:

When you return from Cake's world, toss the HH pads in the trash and STEP UP to the Vesrah SRJL17's. The HH's are garbage....just like your wheelies!!!:moocow:

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
When you return from Cake's world, toss the HH pads in the trash and STEP UP to the Vesrah SRJL17's. The HH's are garbage....just like your wheelies!!!:moocow:
Theres no need for him to be using Vesrahs. Not everyone is in your world ;)

njracer
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM

Since your racing next year with CCS/WERA I would really suggest a suspension expert like Thermosman, CTR (John is always at Summit) or even Traxxion. WCW might be "good" at suspension but the guys I listed are the guys tuning suspension for the very, very fast people of AMA/CCS/WERA.

njracer

njracer
10-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Theres no need for him to be using Vesrahs. Not everyone is in your world ;)

I'm talking to you foo....:drink:

BTW - My world is better than your world.

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm talking to you foo....:drink:

BTW - My world is better than your world.

:doh:

You just keep tellin yerself that :lol:

njracer
10-26-2006, 11:32 AM
:doh:

You just keep tellin yerself that :lol:

It's true...you just need to come to grips that your world can't even hold my world's jock strap.:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;)

Cakes206
10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
eww.

njracer
10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
eww.

It's sorta clean.:P

RCM78
10-26-2006, 07:22 PM
Stock pads = Good
HH pads = Better
Vesrah RJL's = AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

AFAIK, there is no difference in performance between kevlar and stainless brake lines. Stainless lines are usually a little cheaper...

CBRBob
10-26-2006, 08:28 PM
The Kevlar lines are a little softer feel than the stainless.

njracer
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Stock pads = Good
HH pads = Better
Vesrah RJL's = AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

and........SRJL's = SUPER DUPER AWSOME!!!!!!