PDA

View Full Version : tether kill switch

GinoE
10-21-2006, 08:58 PM
TETHER KILL SWITCH (http://www.1tail.com/sa/p/MPS_Tether_Kill_Switch.htm)

i know the cats that drag race have them (i think they are mandatory) - good idea to have one at trackdays?

GinoE
10-21-2006, 11:22 PM
I was fooling around with my little minimoto today and the bar-end on the throttle vibrated loose. I tightened it back up but unknowingly pinched it up against the throttle so there was no free play.

Standing over the bike, I grab the brake and blip the throttle with my right hand while also pulling the starter with my left hand. Since there is no free play in the throttle it sticks wide-open, the engine races, the clutch grabs and the bike launches forward!

I barely hang onto the bike with my right hand as it takes off wheeling, nearly ripping my arm out of the socket. It’s a good thing I’m pretty strong, I just raised my right arm lifting the bike off the ground. It did get a little rash on the exhaust can and rear plastics when it scraped the asphalt.

If I had not been able to hold onto the bike it would have taken off on its own stuck at WOT – I’d probably still be out there chasing after it.

My waverunner has a tethered kill switch – Just a thought…

High_Revs_17
10-22-2006, 03:00 AM
First the growler/trooper incident, now this. :lol:

When in doubt pull in the clutch. ;)

That seems to be much nicer than drilling a hole in the kill switch.

CBRBob
10-22-2006, 06:59 AM
Thats why we have tech inspection.

RCM78
10-22-2006, 09:39 AM
We wont let even a questionable throttle pass tech...

Ant
10-22-2006, 09:51 AM
So what are you saying, no good? Because I have a HRC on off switch that I don't wanna fuck up with a drill and screw and this would be good.

IrocRob
10-22-2006, 10:31 AM
He's referring to the sticky throttle (on ginoe's minimoto) not passing tech.

I think the tether is a good idea, but as it is not required
I haven't installed one yet, even though I ordered tether
rings on my leathers when I bought them almost 2 years ago.
I'll probably get one for the '07 season.

Cakes206
10-22-2006, 10:35 AM
good idea to have one at trackdays?
Can't hurt. Although not mandatory at track days(I'm assuming it depends on TD Org.)...at the very least, people who have them are taking an extra step in taking precautionary measures for saftey. Sometimes bank angle sensors just aren't enough.

CBRBob
10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
So a bike at 50mph ghost ridingwith the ignition off is safer than one with the throttle off? :moocow: :moocow:

Just make sure the tip over switch is in good shape, thats plenty.

IrocRob
10-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Assuming the bike is in gear, I don't think it will
be going very far without the engine running, even if the throttle is sticky.
(which wouldn't pass tech anyway)
Nothing is absolutely failsafe, but at least it might help.

Cakes206
10-23-2006, 12:32 AM
So a bike at 50mph ghost ridingwith the ignition off is safer than one with the throttle off? :moocow: :moocow:
Sorta like hittin a kill switch at full throttle, ask omar :roflmao:

Surfinglbi23
03-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Seems like a decent idea

CBRBob
03-14-2007, 10:51 AM
You can do it if you want. It's not getting you past tech if your throttle sticks.