PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point ‘Main’ 16/10 Report/Pic

BurnCycle
10-17-2006, 11:24 AM
*Foreword* - I write this up once and send it off to the family. So if something seems a little obvious to the motorcycle crowd, it’s because of them that I write it in a easy to understand way.

http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track7/Track1.jpg

16 Oct 2006
Summit Point ‘Main’
Team ProMotion – Premier Day
Weather: 32° Morning / 62° Lunch / 70° Afternoon - Partly cloudy
Tires: Tires: F-P/SC (soft) 120/70@30lbs R-P/SC (medium) 190/55@30lbs (both new)
FI Calibration: Unchanged
Gearing: F-17 R-42

My father and son joined me on what will be my last day this season as it’s getting too cold. Since this was a Premier Day it was a combination of track time in the morning and race events in the afternoon. I had signed up for the GP Moto’s which put inline 4 cylinder bikes up to 640cc against V-twins of unlimited displacement. Since this is a popular grouping they run this race twice (Moto-A and Moto-B). I had signed up for both Moto’s to get a good feel for the race environment. Other races held in the afternoon were GP Lite (smaller machines), GP unlimited (for the big bikes) and a Dash for cash which anyone is eligible to enter.

Most of my morning was spent getting new tires mounted since my last set had seen the end of their usable life. By the time I got them back and mounted then passed tech-inspection the Blue (advanced) session was half way through and I felt it was probably best not going out on the track with fresh tires when the other riders are now ‘at speed’. Just before the end of the Blue groups’ session an announcement was made that the White and Red (beginner and intermediate) groups would be combined. This meant that I’d be hitting the track sooner than expected.

Ryan and his brother Mat whom I have run a few track days with this year were also attending the premier day. In fact Ryan was the one who convinced me to attend the day. Ryan runs a very strong pace that makes running with him an enjoyable challenge. We’re both in the Blue group so we spent a lot of time running together. This would also continue into the race portion but keep reading for that…

Session I: I ended up being the first one out of the grid. Not the place I wanted to be on fresh tires. I managed to stay off line and give as much room as possible for others to pass. The track was still cold but those running on tire warmers can run a faster pace off the bat. The last thing I wanted to be was an obstacle. I forgot to turn my lap timer on… Do’h. My brakes are still the weak point of this bike. The feeling in the lever was inconsistent at best.

Session II: For this session Ryan was now on new tires and I still wanted to take it easy. Unfortunately the session was cut short when two riders collided between turn 9 and 10. It seems one of the riders low sided and his bike slid over a slight hill making it impossible to see for those coming up on it. The second rider was at speed when he hit the downed bike. The debris of the two bikes on the track was frightening. We had to ride through it to get to pit lane and you could not take a straight line as there was so much debris on the ground. It was by far the worst accident I have seen in the three years I’ve been doing track days. As of this writing the rider that hit the bike at speed is in critical but stable condition.
Lap Times: 1:31.77, 1:31.19, 1:30.06

Session III: Due to the accident lunch was held early but track time continued instead of starting up the races. My brake issues are getting a little frustrating as I will have little feel going into T1 but massive feel going into other turns. For this run I was behind Ryan who had upped the pace a bit. I noticed the camera man in one of the turns so the next time around I set myself up with Ryan so were went through it side by side. The picture came out amazing and I’ll post it up when the CD of pictures arrives.
Lap Times: 1:30.83, 1:27.33, 1:29.78 1:29.02, 1:27.11, 1:27.68

Race Practice: A 10 minute practice session was scheduled before the race.
Lap Times: 1:28.30, 1:25.11

Race I: I was lined up on the outside of the 5th row of the starting grid. Since this was my first time ever experiencing this sort of start I really didn’t mind being there. The TL is a beast to launch on the best of days so I knew I’d be a little slow off the line. Being in back also meant I wouldn’t have faster riders coming up my backside nor would I be in a first turn potential fiasco. Surprisingly the start wasn’t that intense and things went smoothly. Ryan was in the back of the grid (Row 8) but made a nice move up the inside and ended up 3 or 4 riders ahead of me. During the next few laps I managed to pass those between Ryan and me and was now putting pressure on Ryan around the midway point (lap 4). I watched Ryan’s lines through T4 to see if he left anything open and sure enough I made a nice line putting me inside at T5. With open track ahead of us (fast group way out in front) I had a chance to put some distance between us but I was spent and only half way to the finish. My drive out of T10 onto the straight was weak and I knew Ryan would be able to gain and overtake. Sure enough at the brake markers for T1 I saw him on the inside and making a nice move to take the lead (well, ahead of me). That’s the way it would remain for the rest of the race. Ryan was able to put 3 or 4 seconds on me by the time the checkered flag fell but at that point I was happy just to make it to the end as I was completely spent. My father who had been watching the race from the T10 tower mentioned that the fast group was way out in front of us while the slower group was way behind.
Lap Times: 1:25.33, 1:25.08, 1:26.58, 1:25.94, 1:26.58, 1:26.82, 1:26.21

Race II: The grid was a little smaller for the second Moto and I was grided on the outside of row 4. Ryan had not signed up for this race so I was without a team mate (so to say). At the drop of the green flag a rider ahead of me pulled off a nice wheelie but not the thing to do when trying to accelerate at a fast pace. I managed to pass a number of slower riders and set in behind a rider on an R6 running at a pace I could handle without getting too fatigued but also learn a little from should I want to pass him. At the halfway point I made my move around him and basically had the track to myself as the faster riders were again, way out in front.
Lap Times: 1:25.28, 1:27.85, 1.28.36, 1:25.89, 1:25.81, 1:27.14, 1:27.08

In all the racing experience was a lot of fun and I ran some of my fastest laps ever. I have no idea where I placed in the races but think it may have been between 10th and 12th. Has the race bug bitten now? I’m still not sure if I want to go beyond what Team ProMotion is offering as far as racing but as long as they keep doing the Premier days I think my name might continue to be on the grid.

BurnCycle
10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
My father just emailed these to me...

We don't need no stink'n wheels.
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track7/Track4.jpg

Damn I need a burger.
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track7/Track2.jpg

The one you'll want to look out for in a few years...
http://www.mariposaderojo.com/Pics/TLR/Track7/Track3.jpg

Ant
10-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Nice pics and write up! And congratulations on the best times!

BurnCycle
10-19-2006, 06:02 AM
Official results... http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=27386