PDA

View Full Version : A whole gaggle of pics from my pocono east race

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:19 PM
On this weekend, 1 year ago, I entered my first gp moto cup race with TPM at pocono east. Back then I could run consistent 1:13's at pocono, I ran a 1:11 every once and a while but never consistently. I always passed guys in blue group, I thought I was gonna win! Up to and including the race I got a good dosage of what fast guys can do. I remember Antal Halaz (the 2005 gp moto champion, currently 2nd in points now) passed me in the morning, damn I thought, that guy is fast, I couldn't hang with him! Then there was the race I managed to get 6th overall and 5th in my class. I remember zsolt veres won that race, he was running 1:09's. All I thought after the race was how the hell is it even possible to go that fast on pocono east? Later that day my f4i water pump blew and it was to be my last trackday in '05.

So here I am 1 year later, coming off a 1st place overall at beaver 2 weeks prior, and a 2nd overall finish, 1st in class at VIR a few days earlier. I felt pretty confident driving to pocono sunday morning, and looking foward to racing with some fast tpm regulars.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:22 PM
In the morning I mounted on some pirelli dragon superbike slicks. It was my first time running them. The bike seemed to turn in a little slower, so it took me 2 sessions to get a feel for them. On saturday I took apart my front end and reassembled it because my forks were still a little tweaked after taking the bike off the stands wrong at beaver. Being on straight now, I was happy the bike was stable again like it should be under hard braking!

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:26 PM
In my first session it was pretty cold out, ran 1:20's. 2nd session it was a little warmer, I was a little more confident and ran 1:12's. Afterwords, Martin Lazor (smiley face guy, 1st in points in gp cup), jokingly told me Antal was here today, he is fast, aggresive, and could kick my ass. Big Ivan though, said I could win. 3rd session I ran with Martin, I passed Martin and led for a while, made a little mistake going around the kink before the bus stop, and Antal passed me, I found that I had no trouble staying behind him and running his pace! 4th session before lunch/race, I was doing consistent high 1:10's. I felt ready and excited!

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Onto the race, there were a ton of people entering it! Found out I was starting from row 4c, luckily a few people never showed so I wouldn't have too much traffic in front of me. (I am behind the orange bike in the picture) Martin #871 and Antal #720 (riding jeremy;s r6) were starting from row 2, I knew right away that I would have to get around traffic immediatly after the start to hang with them. If I let them get away and get up to speed, there is no way I could catch up. Race starts, I get a decent launch and motor past everyone on the outside, and take a wide outside line into the left hander, coming out of the turn I am on 3rd, right behind martin and antal! Then red flags, I was pissed! There was a 6 bike pile up I managed to miss. So the race restarts, then time I botch the launch, manage to pick off a few riders in the first turn, and few more under braking for the bus stop, coming out of the bus stop I am in third place.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Soon I am right on Martin and Antal.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:34 PM
2nd Lap Antal takes Martin, then I pass Martin and am in 2nd.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:36 PM
3rd lap I get around Antal, and lead the race!

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Unknowingly to me, Zsolt Veres started from the back, but worked his way right up to my rear tire. All I remember was this guy comes outta nowhere and passes me on the brakes going into the bus stop, I was pissed!

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Zsolt managed to gap me a little in the last two turns before pit in, but I would catch right back up to him taking a bonzi line going into turn 1. He also got great drive going onto the back straight and braked hella late to stay in front. Antal is still in hot pursuit. Martin is falling back, and the rest of the field is seconds behind us.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Going onto the back straight before the final lap I though Zsolt made a mistake because he went wide (later found out he let Antal pass him so Antal could collect points). But who cares! I was gonna try a pass on the brakes anyways, maybe it's better that happened :D So I led the final lap.

pillaka
10-12-2006, 08:46 PM
4 gear pinned on the back straight, I crossed the finish line first and won the race overall. It all felt really good after such a great battle. Not sure of my times, but Antal and Zsolt were both running low 1:09's, Antal had a best of 1:09.06.

SAXON117
10-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Awsome write up and pics bro! Congrats!!:nod2:

Qetesh
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
You're just RISICULOUS :lol: Great pics Bri :nod2: You looked good all day Sunday, and the race even better. We were all rootin' for ya at the grid! Congrats :thumbup:

ronin_01r1
10-12-2006, 09:42 PM
wow, that's awesome. great pics too! good luck!

RCM78
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
That was a great race to watch!!! Zolt came through the field and took the lead pretty fast but Stiffy stepped it up and didnt let him go.

Chris
10-12-2006, 10:35 PM
I think that the 1000 suits you brian,great job.Look forward to riding with you soon at summit on the 30th.

Jimmy
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Nice write up. Congrats on another win! :cheers:

IrocRob
10-12-2006, 10:54 PM
OUT F'N STANDING!!!

Great job and a fine write up as well, there's no way
I could remember all that lap by lap detail.:ride: :ride:

ImmaSquashYou
10-12-2006, 11:04 PM
that was pretty damn cool. I think i just found another expensive hobby....heh

NYCSTRIPES
10-13-2006, 01:50 AM
nice Job, sounds like I missed a killer GPMoto race
Ken

AfricanBootyScratcher
10-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I can here the chants around the world now... "STIFFY! STIFFY! STIFFY!"
for sure, that's sweet!

Ant
10-13-2006, 01:09 PM
Congratulations and nice write up!

Brian78
10-13-2006, 04:41 PM
*brings a tear to my eye... you are my hero

PitsVtec
10-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Great pics! & Congrats!

njf4i
10-14-2006, 08:18 AM
Nice job Bri!! Those are some awesome pics and i bet even better memories for you.

Keep up the good work, and soon SBA will be heading to watch you run your ama races....