PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions/Advice

Mack
09-26-2006, 08:26 AM
Ok as many of you know me and my aprilia took a beating on Sunday and I'm pretty sure I've decided to make a change for my track bike. I would like some advice from everyone as to what they would recommend for a track bike. Keep in mind I have been riding a twin for 3 years and love it. I don't think I can go down to a 600 I think I'll miss the torque. Right now I'm leaning towards either a CBR1000RR or a GSXR 1000. Also if you have any recommendations as to where to pick up a track ready version of one of these bikes or a salvage titled bike please let me know. I think the Aprilia is being turned into my daily street rider for next year. At least that's that way things are looking right now. Advice/input would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

RCM78
09-26-2006, 08:43 AM
Finding a salvaged 1000 will be tough. They dont last more then an hour in most salvage yards. Call leeseville salvage in rahway and let them know what you want. You may get lucky.

I would still suggest a 600 though. I went from a superhawk to a 600F3 and the F3 was easier to ride fast. Todays 600's are easily better then the aprilia and they are much more forgiving then a 1000...

Lakota
09-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I also run an F3 now and love it,but one thing to keep in mind if looking for a GSXR 1K,we have had 7 of them split or break frames from the front welds in the CMRA in the last 3 races.although not out there formally the 05/06 1Ks do not seem to crash well at all and one broke when landing hard off a straight called wheelie hill and looked like a low riding chopper after that.Good luck in your search

NYCSTRIPES
09-26-2006, 09:31 AM
I suggest running an SV, you may find is a much cheaper alternative for a track bike and still maintain the features and feel of a twin.
Ken

CBRBob
09-26-2006, 10:18 AM
I suggest running an SV, you may find is a much cheaper alternative for a track bike and still maintain the features and feel of a twin.
Ken

I heard someone here has a TLR he wants to sell. Yellow and black #777. Looks nice, just a little damp :nod2:

Mack
09-26-2006, 10:21 AM
haha I'm definately not interested in the TL or an SV. If I decided to go down in CC it's going to be a ninja 636 or a Cbr 600RR. If I'm staying with a twin it's going to be my bike. There isn't a better twin then an aprilia

Ant
09-26-2006, 11:13 AM
I came from a gsxr 1000 to a cbr 600rr and the cbr is much easier to ride and a lot friendlier then the 1000. I'd go with a 600.

NYCSTRIPES
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I heard someone here has a TLR he wants to sell. Yellow and black #777. Looks nice, just a little damp :nod2:

Not just yet Bob, I do have a love/hate affair with my TLR, but she's not leaving the stable as of yet. It was fun getting the RC back on the track this weekend though.

Ken

ffejtable
09-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Triumph 675 :)

njf4i
09-26-2006, 03:11 PM
Dave i would really look into a cbr1000rr over the gsxr 1000 for the track. I think honda makes an awesome bike that i haven't heard any complaints about. But if you do go down to a a 600 i would go 600rr all the way.

Oh and on a side note, you ever gonna come back to sand and paint your hole patches on the wall. :lol: :LOL:

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-26-2006, 04:03 PM
tz250 all the way

pillaka
09-26-2006, 06:30 PM
Part your aprilia out, you'll get more for it that way. I'd go for a bike already set up for the track, that is your best bet rather than getting a salvage one and fixing it up.

I'd go for a 600 over a 1000. Any newer 600 puts out comparable power to your aprilia. I recommend a 600 though because it will help you work on cornering speed which is what the track is all about. Riding a 1000 is very challenging due to the power output of the bike, not only do you have high peak HP, but also a lot of torque to manage. Additionally just the speed the thing carries down the straight will be a lot more than what you're used to. So most likely you'll be braking harder and earlier. When you are riding around the track and directing the majority of your attention to throttle inputs that is going to handicap you in another aspect of riding. Additionally a 600 is more forgiving, a 1000 is not. If you're not expecting the bike to do something, especially when putting the power down, it will bite. Or you'll be riding in fear of this aspect of the bike which will hamper your confidence in yourself and the bike therefor slowing you down. But ultimatly it comes down to you, you can buy whatever you will like, but I believe a 600 is better in the long run for learning the finer aspects of track riding.

High_Revs_17
09-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Don't take this the wrong way Dave, but maybe what you love so much might be your problem. It's hard to be smooth with that much killer torque pouring out of the throttle every time. I'd bet a nice linear four would do the trick, preferably one in the 600cc range.

gottaducati
09-26-2006, 07:00 PM
food for thought: the 999r xerox is cheap now because theyre releasing that new desmosedici

NYCSTRIPES
09-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Inexpensive and Ducati is something usually never found working in the same sentence. Fixing a crashed Ducati is also never cheap.
Ken

Gigantic
09-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Dave,
Stay the F away from a liter bike for the track. almost every single person that I know with a liter bike has gotten on something smaller (600 or 750) and gone faster. a literbike at the track in the hands of anyone who isn't an expert level racer, is just a speedy ticket to Highside City. get a 600 or what might be the ultimate track day bike, a late model GSXR-750. parts are cheap and plentiful if you crash. there's a heck of a learning curve to transition from a twin to an L-4, but after you figure out that it's all throttle control, throttle control, throttle control, it's a lot of fun.
if you want to stay in the freakshow, you really can't go wrong with a Triumph 675 which is really the best of both worlds, plenty of torque at 7k+ rpm with a big hit of horsepower up top. it won't be any cheaper to go boom on than your Aprillia, though.
good luck,
Lance

RCM78
09-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Don't take this the wrong way Dave, but maybe what you love so much might be your problem. It's hard to be smooth with that much killer torque pouring out of the throttle every time. I'd bet a nice linear four would do the trick, preferably one in the 600cc range.

Actually, Twins are very linear and they put power down in a very forgiving manner. Therefore they are easy to ride.

A 600 would eventually be faster then the aprilia because all the new 600's are more capable then any twin on the market. You just need to develop the skill to ring that performance out of the bike.

Qetesh
09-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Part your aprilia out, you'll get more for it that way. I'd go for a bike already set up for the track, that is your best bet rather than getting a salvage one and fixing it up.

I'd go for a 600 over a 1000. Any newer 600 puts out comparable power to your aprilia. I recommend a 600 though because it will help you work on cornering speed which is what the track is all about. Riding a 1000 is very challenging due to the power output of the bike, not only do you have high peak HP, but also a lot of torque to manage. Additionally just the speed the thing carries down the straight will be a lot more than what you're used to. So most likely you'll be braking harder and earlier. When you are riding around the track and directing the majority of your attention to throttle inputs that is going to handicap you in another aspect of riding. Additionally a 600 is more forgiving, a 1000 is not. If you're not expecting the bike to do something, especially when putting the power down, it will bite. Or you'll be riding in fear of this aspect of the bike which will hamper your confidence in yourself and the bike therefor slowing you down. But ultimatly it comes down to you, you can buy whatever you will like, but I believe a 600 is better in the long run for learning the finer aspects of track riding.

Stiffy has some good points.

Even though you're used to riding a twin, trying out an inline 6 will be just as much fun and a lot easier to find parts for and repair at cheaper cost then your current bike.

Keep the Aprilia for the street and get yourself a track ready 600cc. You'll be glad you did :)

ronin_01r1
09-27-2006, 08:51 AM
i'd shop around for an '05-06 600rr or r6.