PDA

View Full Version : whats a TRE?

skid vicious
08-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Quite simply,
On Suzuki Motorcycles, Timing retard in the lower gears is program into the ECU map to " tame" the sportbike's torque down low and on the 1K and Busa; limit the top speed of the bike. removing this feature is simple. You can buy a unit($50+) or build one ($5 +/-). I will focus on building a simple, non-switchable one. Purchase a 6.78K resistor from radio shack. If they do not have the exact resistance available, you can get the resistance required by using various resistors wired in series or paralel to get the impendance right.

The GPS unit (Gear Position Sensor) is located on the sprocket cover. it has three wires exiting it(Pink,Blue and Black), that connect to the main harness. You will be connecting the Pink wire to the Black wire with the resistor in between. The Blue wire remains untouched (this is your neutral sensor wire). the wires must be merged on the wire harness side, not the sensor side....this can easily be accomplished by removing the pins from the connector, to release the wire w/o cutting them. This way, if you dont like it....you can put things back.

To test the unit, if you increase the idle speed to 2K (I like to use the fast idle lever, so it remains constant) and pull in the clutch...the idle should drop.

http://maxlean.com/motorcyclepages/tre.htm

BurnCycle
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
er... the link you posted explains the TRE. :)

On the TL bikes...

On a TL you do not add the TRE to remove the speed limiter (it wont go that fast) as you do on a Busa. The reasons for it on a TL are aid the fueling and get rid of the stumbles in the lower RPM. If you've done any sudden off/on throttle exercises and felt the TL kind of fall on its face (well, not that bad) then the TRE is beneficial. If you suffer from stumbles at low RPM's then a TRE is one of many things that will aid (not cure) those issues. If you think it give you more horsepower then you're mistaken.

TRE's come in so many flavors these days too. I've had an active TRE that allowed me to specify what gears got mapped and what gear they mapped to. I currently use a TRE that's an integrated part of my GPI on the TLS. Some are simple resistors brought from Radio Shack for pennies, others plug-and-play and may or may not have a switch.

So what do you want?

I believe having a way to turn off the TRE is a good thing or find one that is 'active' so that it doesn't work while the bike is in neutral. A TRE that is always on has been reported to make cold starts a little harder since. The neutral map is very different from geared map so keeping the TRE for screwing with it is something to keep in mind.

Another thought (hey... I'm rolling), My TLS uses a TRE as I mentioned above. My TLR that only sees track use does not. The reason for this is that the TLR operates in a range that is not affected by the timing retard (low rpm / partial throttle).

John712
08-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Timing Retard..?

skid vicious
08-21-2006, 12:43 PM
yeah, i just thought it would be helpful to some of those who are tinkering around with their bikes.

BurnCycle
08-21-2006, 12:50 PM
To test the unit, if you increase the idle speed to 2K (I like to use the fast idle lever, so it remains constant) and pull in the clutch...the idle should drop.
http://maxlean.com/motorcyclepages/tre.htm
Ha... Lots of editing going on here :lol:

The above example is for hard wired TRE's that are not active and the reason I won't use one. It should be transparent. The mapping while the clutch is engaged is the same as that of Neutral but not affected by the TRE. Since the bike thinks it's in gear while in neutral you get that RPM variation with the clutch in/out.

GinoE
08-21-2006, 01:05 PM
i have the TRE installed on my sv650s

i got it here ---> TRE (http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm)

DougZ
08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
You can get them EBAY for all he bikes. Fuel Moto is the one I have for my SV1K and I was happy with the gain it gave me..no top end power, just quicker pull to the power.

pillaka
09-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Is there a noticable difference in power delivery in lower gears?

Is the power more difficult to control?

Sounds like an interesting mod to try on the weekend, but I am wondering if it will really be worth it. This thing is already a highside waiting to happen.

SAXON117
09-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Is there a noticable difference in power delivery in lower gears?

Is the power more difficult to control?

Sounds like an interesting mod to try on the weekend, but I am wondering if it will really be worth it. This thing is already a highside waiting to happen.

I just installed one yesterday in my SV 1000. There's deffeninely a difference. The power rolls on faster and smoother. You don't have to worry about to much power, it doesn't give you more horses it just remaps the low end of the lowwer gears so the horses come on sooner. I bought mine for $65 and it was worth it. :nod2:

CBRBob
09-14-2006, 09:51 AM
Timing Retard..?

All suzuki's are retarded.

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/404/404_timmy.gif

Cakes206
09-14-2006, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=CBRBob]All suzuki's are retarded.

Thats messed up :rant: :P

AfricanBootyScratcher
09-14-2006, 10:32 AM

and here I just thought it was the owners

SAXON117
09-14-2006, 10:53 AM

:bs: :thefinger :flip: :P

pillaka
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM

http://images.southparkstudios.com/media/images/404/404_timmy.gif

At least their start/stop switch is difficult to get to for other riders

CBRBob
09-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Who me? hehehehe

Duff750
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Alright... Just finished doing this to mine.. Is it normal for the display to flash "FI" and the oil light to come on?

BurnCycle
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Nope... You have a problem.

Duff750
02-06-2007, 01:52 PM
figured it out, one of the wires shot out of one of the connectors just enough to not make contact when I plugged it in.

oskarjr
02-06-2007, 11:56 PM
i have the TRE installed on my sv650s

i got it here ---> TRE (http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/tre.htm)

Wow I got mine for $25. If I can find the website I will post it up.