PDA

View Full Version : top triple nut question

kneedragger
08-10-2006, 12:40 PM
so i did a complete front end swap on my bike not too long ago, 05 gxr750 front end on 04 sv650. anyways, i was just wondering if over-tightening the two castle nuts and the top triple nut could have any ill affects on the way the bike rides/handles. i put them on pretty tight only cause, well, they seem pretty important.

NYCSTRIPES
08-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Hence the reason for following the torque recommendations from the shop manual. If you don't have one for your bike, get one. Worth every penny. Over tightening the nut on the triple clamp could cause undue stress to your steering bearings.
Ken

Ant
08-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Hence the reason for following the torque recommendations from the shop manual. If you don't have one for your bike, get one. Worth every penny. Over tightening the nut on the triple clamp could cause undue stress to your steering bearings.
Ken

+1 which will make them wear out faster and make the bars harder to turn.

Commuta_Busa
08-10-2006, 02:26 PM
+1 which will make them wear out faster and make the bars harder to turn.

I concur torque it right

IrocRob
08-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Proper torque is very important on the steering stem.
Over tightening will make a headshake more likely,
and probably more violent.
Typically, the procedure is to tighten to a high torque value
to insure that the bearing races are set, then loosen and retorque
to a lower number. You need to see the service manual for your
bike (or in this case for the '05 GSX-R750) to be certain of the correct procedure.

If you need the right wrench, send me a PM, I probably have it.

CBRBob
08-10-2006, 05:27 PM
The bike will never feel like it wants to track straight. It will always feel 'off-center'.

kneedragger
08-10-2006, 06:02 PM
sweet, thanks for the replies and offering of tools. i work for acura so i have plenty of tools, thanks anyway. well, i found the torque specs online today and just got home and set every thing straight. havent rode it yet, but hopefully it will feel nicer. things were a lil tight before i torqued them