PDA

View Full Version : Tested the Scorpion out last night

Gear Dog
08-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Well the wife made me go for a ride last night because she said I've been too stressed lately.
so I pop the new lid on for a test ride. The first thing I liked about the helmet was that it had a snap on the strap to keep it from flapping in the wind. The venting is crazy on this but I realized it is partly because there isn't any padding in the chin area. It was humid as hell out and even at the stop lights I didn't have to crack the visor for air. And the fit a awesume better feel than the HJC or the Icon.

CuCullin
08-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Now I just want to spend more money...

Thanks for the thoughts on it :D

PitsVtec
08-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I owned one...for some reason it kept pushing in on one side of my face, so I sold it. It held decent value for being a year old. I now own a Shoei. Glad you had a better experience than I.

Katanardr
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I love mine... Need a new one now and most likely will get another one

Cakes206
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Glad you had a better experience than I.
State Farm experiences...Scorpion experiences...starting to see a pattern here :lol:

Rev
08-03-2006, 12:42 PM
State Farm experiences...Scorpion experiences...starting to see a pattern here :lol:

she's a hater..lmfao...

Nah...the scorpian did her good..just that one problem with the ear thing...best part about the scorpion is that it was fog free lense

njf4i
08-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Sounds like the helmet worked out pretty nice. My only question is how is the noise while riding? I had to get a shoei because my hjc cl-14 was to loud.

PitsVtec
08-03-2006, 02:36 PM

I liked the helmet except for that problem. Shhessshhh....go bounce some balls or something...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/kyoshi_warrior/acbc1bca.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g113/kyoshi_warrior/c84d3ecd.jpg

Marker54
08-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Good fit & price, anit-fog. VERY LOUD. Not bad at all. But may buy the Arai next time.

HondaKidF1
08-03-2006, 06:48 PM
I have been hearing more and more good things about them. Enjoy it!

southjersey636
08-19-2006, 04:08 PM
I wanna know how noise levels are with them? I have to wear earplugs with my KBC thats how noisy it is.

Mack
08-19-2006, 06:03 PM
I ride a twin....I need ear plugs no matter what....why pay all that money for an expensive helment when ear plugs are like a dollar....just my .02 cents...plus I can drop it and crash in it and I don't have to break the bank for a new lid

Cakes206
08-20-2006, 09:50 AM
I have to wear earplugs with my KBC thats how noisy it is.
Hows the venting? Helments with good/better venting can sometimes be a bit loud due to air flow.

sonny
08-20-2006, 07:48 PM
I have the scorpion exo-700 raider in silver. I wear earplugs whenever i ride, the noise isnt bad on this helmet. I love it. "whats the different between a scorpion and a $600 helmet? about $400 bucks."

pwnd

SilverDragon
10-09-2006, 10:36 AM
noted!

southjersey636
10-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Hows the venting? Helments with good/better venting can sometimes be a bit loud due to air flow.

The venting on the KBC Force is somehow very good at venting but it doenst feature any top vents etc.. I do know that going down the road looking striaght ahead the helmet has a distinctive high pitched whistle which seems more like a design flaw from not doing enough road testing with it on before releasing it.

lightsdarkness
10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
I have an exo 400, I love it and I'm buying another in spring. Im going to get the exo 700 this time. Noise isn't to bad. You also can't beat the price. Graphics are good to

rpm cycle works
12-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I just came accros this discussion. If you want a great helmet that has a good fit, that will fit most people. The exos are killer. The price is right, the graphics are cool. Wind noise is always going to exsist with any deasent venting. Scorpion just came out with a photochromatic shield. The idea is like Peter Brady's glasses, clear in the dark and go to tint with sun. The Exo 400& 700 are the same shell shape. Like Arai the interiors can be swaped to taylor the fit. We feel that scorpion is the best bang for the $. But we love our own Arai's. The rx7 is expencive but for some reason they really feel good on the melon. We sell about ten Scorpions for every Arai. My feeling is that the price is the big factor.

Retom7
12-21-2006, 03:54 AM
I have an EXO400 (actually purchased at RPM Cycle Works), which I bought after trying on a friend's EXO400. The price is unbeatable for what you get. The venting is great, the anti-fog is great, and the helmet looks great. I have the warhawk in silver I think? Not sure since there are two black, white, and gray's in the warhawk design.

Road noise is pretty loud, but not riding with other helmets, I can't make a fair comparison. I really enjoy my helmet though.

Pros:
-Visor is VERY simple to change, I can take one off and put another on in about 10 seconds total.
-Visor is anti-fog and truly works! Even in extreme temp changes.
-offer kwik-wick (whatever they call it or however they spell it), which website lists and easy aircondiotioning in the hot weather by adding some water to it and incoming air will hit it, creating a cooling sensation (looking forward to trying this come spring/summer.
-Scorpion also offers a chin piece which is meant to keep your chin warmer (since there is no padding in that spot of the helmet), and may also cut down on some of the noise.
-2 different helmets, but MANY different designs and colors, many different visor choices, and tons of room for growth in the company (website shows some major players starting to use their helmets)

Cons:
-After riding a while with a neck fleece on tucked around the bottom of the helmet, and even after pulling it down a little in the chin area (on the COLD nights), some condensation built up on the inside of the visor. It didn't fog, but looking down or looking out at the edges would be a little bit blurry or obscurred.
-After riding for a little while, taking off the helmet results in two horizontal lines across the sides of my face from the edge of the cheek pads. NOTE: I am wearing a small and also fit comfortably (and snug) in a medium. I chose to go with the small just for the added bonus of that helmet being glued to my head. It might be due to the fact that I am at the lower size.
-Doesn't take much to put a scratch in these things. I never waxed my helmet, but I did develop some small scratches here and there for next to nothing. I'm guessing the paint isn't the best of quality as far as thickness.

Overall:
-I would buy another in a heart beat. The pros totally outweigh the cons, and the cons really aren't a big deal. The low price, the large availability of colors/patterns/visors, and the comfort all add up to a helmet that is definately a great buy. I would especially recommend this helmet to people who want a helmet for passengers to match their bike but don't want to spend the money on getting a topend helmet for their passenger that won't be used often.:woot: :woot: :woot:

rpm cycle works
12-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry guys, I miss spoke. The Scorpion EXO 400 & 700 shells are different in two ways. The 700 is made of fiberglass/kevlar it is also just a slightly narrower shell. The 400 is made of polycarbonate and has less agressive vents.