PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why gear is important

Bobby
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
This has been a very hot topic among riders and there's no definitive answer. I thought I'd start a thread about it and would really like to hear both sides of the arguement.

*This is a discussion so don't take comments too personal and please don't flame others for their views.

I'll start with my general rules of thumb:

- Any time I go for a spirited group ride, I will always wear full leathers.
- If I don't go out in full gear, I always wear a lid, jacket, gloves and boots.
- If it's too hot for gear, I don't ride.

I usually ride in full gear 98% of the time. The times I wear jeans is when I'm putting around town. I do this because I'm very aware of the consequences and I've been riding for about 23 yrs. I usually try to educate new riders about the benefits of gear and why they should wear it and I try to be a good example of it by wearing it myself.

There's also another reason for full gear on group rides. There are times where the pace might be over your head and you try to keep up. I know everyone will tell you that you should ride your own ride but some of the younger riders get red-mist and think they have more talent than they really do. Your chances of going down might be greater in a group if you don't have self-constraint. This is something you have to decide for yourself after you put your ego aside.

The full gear rule that I've always applied to any ride I organize is for a few reasons. The obvious reason of protecting the rider that goes down. I also don't want to hold/handle someone covered in blood because they were too stubborn/cheap/dumb/whatever to wear gear and went down. It can also mean the difference between getting up and brushing the dirt off yourself and riding home and winning a chauffeured ride to the nearest emergency room.

I'm sure I have more but this should be a good start. So what's your views and opinions on this?

PitsVtec
08-03-2006, 09:52 AM
Gear +1

JimRBlue
08-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Gear.

"There are times where the pace might be over your head and you try to keep up."

..That is the begining of the end..

GinoE
08-03-2006, 10:41 AM
gear is important.

i usually start off in 1st gear, then slip through neutral, then up to 2nd...

seriously, i'm always geared up when riding - like bobby said, if it's too hot (or too damn cold) i don't ride.

SAXON117
08-03-2006, 11:01 AM
I agree with BOBBY (gear is good!). I'm sure everyone on the ride this past Sunday that SPRHK hosted, notice the less experienced guys (the non-SBA'ers) were the ones with the least amount of protection. And at least two of those guys (R1 & CBR1000) were riding WAY over their heads. I spoke with them about wearing gear and they have the young and invincible syndrome. I myself have laid down my share of machines and know the value of personal protective gear.:nod2:

PitsVtec
08-03-2006, 12:11 PM
the young and invincible syndrome.

Got to love the squids!

CuCullin
08-03-2006, 12:13 PM
I'll start with my general rules of thumb:

- Any time I go for a spirited group ride, I will always wear full leathers.
- If I don't go out in full gear, I always wear a lid, jacket, gloves and boots.
- If it's too hot for gear, I don't ride.

Exactly the same for me, minus pants. I wear jeans. I don't like leathers, though I've considered draggin jeans.

Bobby
08-03-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't understand the logic of "but I wear jeans" that I keep hearing. Jeans are made out of cotton and will last maybe 10 ft in a slide. They have rivets that will heat up and melt into your skin (yes, I've seen that before). They don't offer much more protection than shorts or sweats in a get-off. Maybe some wind protection.

With that said, I know the risks and I'll take them if I know that I'll just be cruising or not going too far.

I wear underarmour under my leathers and they're good for up to 90 deg. 95 isn't too bad but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Bobby
08-03-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree with BOBBY (gear is good!). I'm sure everyone on the ride this past Sunday that SPRHK hosted, notice the less experienced guys (the non-SBA'ers) were the ones with the least amount of protection. And at least two of those guys (R1 & CBR1000) were riding WAY over their heads. I spoke with them about wearing gear and they have the young and invincible syndrome. I myself have laid down my share of machines and know the value of personal protective gear.:nod2:

Since it was my first ride with SBA, I thought you guys were squids when I saw what most of you guys were wearing :P

Yeah, those 2 guys were quite squidly. Both were 24 yrs old. I asked the R1 rider if he's ever gone down and he said yes. I guess some people don't learn or it was a light get-off.

It was still a great day of riding :ride:

HondaGalToo
08-03-2006, 05:34 PM
ATGATT.
"all the gear all the time".

I never leave home without it. Fullface Arai helmet, held gloves, A-Stars boots. If it's a day ride, 2 piece perfed leathers (fully armored). If it's an overnight ride, rainy, cool day, a ride to a destination where I'll want normal clothes, or commuting to work: 2 piece Aerostich (also armored). I use the built-in back protector in the jackets.

Bobby's right, jeans don't offer much protection. Maybe draggin' jeans give more, but there's no substitute for leathers or a 'stich, IMHO. I'm not a fan of the mesh gear, either, but if it's all someone will wear, it beats a t-shirt for sure.

GIX750
08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
i was on the sunday ride, i always wear my jacket and riding pants and boots (both ICON) cuz i can't afford leathers. but i will admit if i'm ridin in my town or very close by i will wear pants and jacket or just a shirt if i'm goin to the deli which is about 1.2 mile from my house, if that

GinoE
08-03-2006, 08:04 PM
question: what if you're not out for a 100% ride? maybe out with friends for dinner as an example.

i used to wear this BOHN ARMOR (http://www.actionstation.com/body_armour2.html) under my jeans and remove them once i reach my destination.

lately, on the rides to bike nights i wear this TEKNIC SUPERVENT PANT (http://street-bikes.ridegear.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/shop/Pants/F-12651_Supervent_Pants.html?E+scstore)

Bobby
08-04-2006, 11:03 AM
If I'm going out to dinner with friends, I cage it unless my friends are riding too. Then I wear full gear. Textiles most likely.

Gix750 - Most accidents happen less than 5 miles from home. At least wear a jacket. There's cheap leathers always on sale. Check newenough.com, www.motorcyclecloseouts.com, etc and you should be able to get some great deals.

causef0rconcern
08-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Had two buddies go down seperatly this week. Neither in any gear other than a lid. One in no shirt, one in a sleeveless T. One got what he deserved (he was drunk, had been eating tranqs and barbituates all night), but the other way just running errands around town and hit a hot, melty tar snake and highsided. Needless to say...I hope they learned their lessons. I can't afford any expensive leathers right now, but I'm starting a new job and thats priority one. And a new pair of Sidis. For now, no matter where I'm going, its my Fieldsheer textile, AGV Titan leather gloves, lid, and...jeans and skateshoes. It's what I have right now so it'll do, but I know the risks and am planning on getting geared up proper soon.

CuCullin
08-04-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't understand the logic of "but I wear jeans" that I keep hearing. Jeans are made out of cotton and will last maybe 10 ft in a slide. They have rivets that will heat up and melt into your skin (yes, I've seen that before). They don't offer much more protection than shorts or sweats in a get-off. Maybe some wind protection.

With that said, I know the risks and I'll take them if I know that I'll just be cruising or not going too far.

I wear underarmour under my leathers and they're good for up to 90 deg. 95 isn't too bad but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Jeans can be made out of things other than cotton, and thickness varies. Yes, its only a second skin, but as I mentioned I don't like leather pants - won't wear them, don't like them. I don't feel I can move around as well with them, and for that reason, I don't feel comfortable wearing them on a bike. Yes, I know it stretches and gets easier - I don't like them.

To be more specific, its denim, as in a cotton twill. Its not much protection, but it is enough to act as a second skin. Its far better than shorts or sweats, especially considering the varying types of denim jeans.

As a firefighter, I know how hot it needs to be for those rivets to melt - I'm not concerned about that when I'm on a bike.

That said - no, it isn't much, but its better than shorts and sweats, more maneuverable than leathers (for me), and I'm comfortable with the degree of protection I have.

CuCullin
08-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Another source of nice leathers for cheap is speedrags - new, inexpensive jackets. I've got one, its my usual jacket for riding. I dig it.

Cakes206
08-04-2006, 11:56 AM
One got what he deserved (he was drunk, had been eating tranqs and barbituates all night)
Wow, good job buddy, let us know if hes ever on any rides so I know not to be there, lol.

causef0rconcern
08-04-2006, 12:29 PM
What are you talking about? I don't know about you, but I love going out with a group of stupified zombies who can't tell their clutch lever from front brake. Makes the ride nice and interesting.

Cakes206
08-04-2006, 01:56 PM
What are you talking about? I don't know about you, but I love going out with a group of stupified zombies who can't tell their clutch lever from front brake. Makes the ride nice and interesting.
LOL, just stay behind...f.a.r. behind :roflmao:

Vin
08-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Wear what you want, ride within your limits, and be prepared to face the consequences of a poor choice in both respects.

For me, I wear jeans/mesh/textile/full boots and gloves at all times. If you think I'm a squid, I'll tell you what I think of you quite abruptly. ;)

CuCullin
08-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Wear what you want, ride within your limits, and be prepared to face the consequences of a poor choice in both respects.

For me, I wear jeans/mesh/textile/full boots and gloves at all times. If you think I'm a squid, I'll tell you what I think of you quite abruptly. ;)

SQUID!

:flip:

Vin
08-04-2006, 02:06 PM
SQUID!

:flip:

[CENSORED]
:roflmao:

HondaKidF1
08-05-2006, 01:46 AM
I am so happy to hear people say that they will wear gear in all weather. I am young and new into the cycle world and have always thought not wearing a helmet was stupid. Now that I read what everyone says I don't even think about taking the bike down the street with out the helmet, jacket(leather) and some type of thick jean or leather. Not all young people are stupid when it comes to vehicles just most of us.

MoraleHazard
08-07-2006, 11:00 AM
95% of the time I rock the leathers. I know many ppl. don't like leather pants, but mine are comfy and I don't care. If I'm commuting, I change real quick when I get to work.

WRT gear; to each his own. If I someone w/ mechanix gloves, timberlands, a lid, and a mesh jacket my first thought is: better than nothing.

Rock712
08-07-2006, 11:15 AM
I wear a mesh thong and leather pasties.......

skid vicious
08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
my gear? shades and a digi cam
btw rock, i knew that all along:lol:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/fooskurt/DSCN0530.jpg

sonny
08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
i rode in a wifebeater yesterday. (with my helmet obviously)

However, i only went 6 blocks up to the store (i'm a lazy ass)

ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME!

Rock712
08-07-2006, 03:10 PM
my gear? shades and a digi cam
btw rock, i knew that all along:lol:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/fooskurt/DSCN0530.jpg

you look like a democrat.........

Barbi
08-07-2006, 03:13 PM
I wear a mesh thong and leather pasties.......

:wow: where did you get Yours? :crazy:

skid vicious
08-07-2006, 08:13 PM
you look like a democrat.........
now thats just mean.:lol:

kneedragger
08-07-2006, 09:16 PM
+1 on the gear. i just got a full moto gp one peice suit, some sidi vertigo, and a shiny new soumy bostrom rep helmet. the comfort factor while riding has increased so much since i now get to worry just a lil less on the aftermath of chrashing and can focus that much more on the actual riding. it was a large purchase but well worth it IMO

Bobby
08-08-2006, 06:19 PM
I'd like to hear from the guys that don't wear full gear. There were a few on the last ride I was on. what's the deal? There's plenty of guys that SAY they wear full gear but I don't see it on the rides too much.

I'm just trying to get a discussion going. I don't want anyone to start flaming each other.

Barbi
08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
aww c'mon its fun to flame and bash and etc...

Ant
08-10-2006, 10:58 AM
When and if I ride on the street, I wear a jacket, helmet, gloves, and maybe some boots if it's not too hot otherwise an old pair of sneakers so I don't get the black shift mark on the good ones. Yes, I'm serious. I've been down on the street, the track, and everything in between. I know the risks and I will choose to take the ones I deem worthwhile.

The only time I would wear full gear on the street is if I wanted to go drag my knee for some reason which I probably wouldn't so I really dont' wear full gear on the street.

Vin
08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I know the risks and I will choose to take the ones I deem worthwhile.

Praise be to Ant.

Full Gear != Invincibility -- it just allows the coroner to pick up all your bodyparts at once when you crash trying to be Rossi on the public roads.

Barbi
08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
My street gear consisted of ...

lid, gloves, my mesh JoeRocket, jeans, boots

SAXON117
08-10-2006, 11:24 AM
My street gear consisted of ...

lid, gloves, my mesh JoeRocket, jeans, boots

while you ride a bicycle? :roflmao:

Barbi
08-10-2006, 11:26 AM
then I wear my knee pads & elbow pads :flip:

Vin
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
while you ride a bicycle? :roflmao:
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/owned-41407.jpg

SAXON117
08-10-2006, 11:27 AM
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/owned-41407.jpg

was this driver wearing gear?

Vin
08-10-2006, 11:28 AM
was this driver wearing gear?
Yes, lid, gloves, my mesh JoeRocket, jeans, boots.

SAXON117
08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Yes, lid, gloves, my mesh JoeRocket, jeans, boots.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: and was this driver from Florida?

Barbi
08-10-2006, 11:34 AM
:( :flip:

MusiCal
08-13-2006, 03:24 AM
I have to admit that I'm guilty of not being geared up at times (lid, gloves, boots...and a vest number) but I've since become more conscious of it after hearing/reading other's stories about it. My excuse has always been the heat so I kinda force myself to take rides early in the day and late afternoon (wear my jacket also then). Hey, it's a start...or a concept at least! :ride: