PDA

View Full Version : salt water aquaruims

PSYCHO1000R
07-20-2006, 09:30 PM
im just setting one up, got the tank and filters and everythnig else free, so i figured i would hook it up, only a 30 gallon tank, but good enough for me as a starter

well after reading up about doing a marine aquarium, im a bit overwhelmed, all this talk about cycleing and what nitrgogen, ammonia, ect.. live rock , cured rock un cired rock , coral reef.... im totally confused!!

anyone have any pointers?

Qetesh
07-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Sure, get rid of the tank :LOL:

Cakes206
07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Yea man, salt water is no joke. You're lookin at alot of time/money to do it correctly...some people go all out, make a hobby out of it.

RAC
07-20-2006, 10:30 PM
good luck that takes too much time and effort for me.

PSYCHO1000R
07-20-2006, 10:49 PM
jeez, party pooper!!

Vin
07-20-2006, 11:39 PM
30's too small, unless you want a high-maintenance setup. The smaller the tank, the more likely it is that a small error in judgement or some foul water could prove to be catastrophic to all the animals in there.

If you're a beginner, I'd recommend you to start with a small freshwater setup and take the time to earn about cycling, the nitrogen cycle, and such.

Marine aquariums can be far too costly to screw up -- keep that in mind.

PSYCHO1000R
07-21-2006, 12:30 AM
well i got the 30 because im new adn dont wanna spend alot.

Vin
07-21-2006, 12:48 AM
well i got the 30 because im new adn dont wanna spend alot.

It's cool -- good thinking on your part. Marine's going to be tough in that size tank for a newb. Could I recommend African Cichlids (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS176&q=african%20cichlids&sa=N&tab=wi)? Awesome fish, amazing colors -- and they're freshwater. Plus you could stick a bunch of them in a 30. Only requirement is water with a high PH, but all you'd need is a bag of crushed coral.

Rev
07-21-2006, 12:53 AM
yeah..that shit is no joke..my friend kept getting that green mold film..so he bought some of the fish glass sucker things...and the bigger fish ate them..lol...anyway..those things are a waste of time..i'd rather watch water evaporate..

PSYCHO1000R
07-21-2006, 12:58 AM
yeah..that shit is no joke..my friend kept getting that green mold film..so he bought some of the fish glass sucker things...and the bigger fish ate them..lol...anyway..those things are a waste of time..i'd rather watch water evaporate..

or spend 23.5 hours a day online

tommymac
07-21-2006, 09:03 AM
It's cool -- good thinking on your part. Marine's going to be tough in that size tank for a newb. Could I recommend African Cichlids (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS176&q=african%20cichlids&sa=N&tab=wi)? Awesome fish, amazing colors -- and they're freshwater. Plus you could stick a bunch of them in a 30. Only requirement is water with a high PH, but all you'd need is a bag of crushed coral.

then throw a few regular tropical fish in there and see what happens:roflmao:

With all the stuf fout there now I am amazed that I had a decent 10 gallon tank going for over 4 years with just a box filter and a few full water changes:doh:

From what i have heard about salt water set ups, once you get it up and running maintenance is prety easy. Seems the real challenge is with the reef tanks, one of the docs I work with has one and he said its a real challenge to set up AND maintain.

For now I will keep to my legless reptiles seems to be a lot easier and less maintenance

Tom

RAC
07-21-2006, 09:09 AM
I live on a river, that's all the fish tank I need.

Rev
07-21-2006, 10:16 AM
I live on a river, that's all the fish tank I need.

HAHA...:lol:

RAC
07-21-2006, 10:25 AM
When the river spills over, I live in a castle with a mote around it and a six foot deep swimming pool in my basement!

Vin
07-21-2006, 11:16 AM
then throw a few regular tropical fish in there and see what happens:roflmao:

Lunchtime! :lol:

ffejtable
07-21-2006, 11:21 AM
+1 to what vinny said... I was into this for a few years, but got bored of it.. still have a 55gal in my living room, but no fish in it... if I were going salt water a 55gal would be my minimum... but salt water fish are crazy more expensive than fresh water since many salt water fish wont breed in captivity unlike most of the fresh water variety...

good luck!

Taz
07-21-2006, 11:28 AM
I heard the salt water tanks are a lot of work. Mike and I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank. It not that hard to do. You can still have nice fish just make sure then can live together. :)