PDA

View Full Version : Which Poconos course should I do next?

shamster
07-20-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm planning to do my next trackday this fall at Poconos. Of course I would like to try some other tracks like BeaveRun, VIR, etc, but I can't make that long a drive anytime soon, so it'll have to be Poconos for now.

Anyhow, I did my first track day in May at Poconos FUSA. I'm wondering how East/West and North compare to FUSA, and which one is the best option to sign up for next.

Thanks in advance!

NYCSTRIPES
07-20-2006, 11:03 AM
North is pretty nice, West is good as well I think East has had it, cars have made it more bumpy than ever and I plan on trying to avoid having to ride it again after last weekend. Shame they put nothing into maintaining the course.
I like FUSA and North the best. FUSA does not compare to any since FUSA is 2.5 miles and the others are much shorter. IMHO
Ken

shamster
07-20-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, the FUSA wasn't bad overall. I just didn't care for the two NASCAR straights, as going fast in a straight line is not very exciting to me.

How twisty is the NORTH course?

lateapex
07-20-2006, 12:50 PM
North has more open turns then the east where most of the track is tight and quick turns. The North flows nicely and there is less bumps to worry about like on the east. There are concrete patches on the turns but they offer great traction and will not upset the bike. I vote for the north over the east with the FUSA as the top one there.

As for why they don't do anything about the east course is a mystery, but as long as there is a line (and a long waiting list) to rent it there is no reason to fix it. I know it would be safer and better for everyone but I guess Pocono does not see it that way. TPM and myself have tried for years to get them to repave it and clean up the run off areas (clean up was for free by TPM) and they denied us. I tried to setup meetings with them but never was able to. We even tried to get them to change the east course configuration to not use the nascar track, this way they can still run the "nascar experience" on the oval and with us on the infield and they didn't want to hear it. Funny how last year the nascar experience got a section of paverment on the east course for the gokart school and races while they use the oval. Pocono is just one of those places that logic doesn't work.

Bster13
07-21-2006, 05:46 PM
My vote goes for PIR East. It brings 4 things to the table:

-Somewhat bumpy course on some places...teaches you throttle/overall control, just like the street.
-Left-hand turning course...most every other course is right-hand. Give you some practice
-Slow speeds and small back straight so as not to scare the crap out of yourself.
-Very tight and technical...the tighter the better to learn the tricks of the trade IMO.

I don't like high speeds because it hurts more if ya crash. At PIR where u hit the high speeds there is concrete wall/banking that scares the crap out of me. High speeds also gives the slugs in the corners, with more HP a chance to pass me, only to have me get stuck behind them two corners later. :p

Good luck!

Bryce

lateapex
07-22-2006, 12:09 PM
It hurts whenver you crash. As for the wall I ride as close to it as I can. I figure if I'm going to hit it I perfer to upright then sliding into the wall busting limbs with the impact. Sounds strange but it works for me. Plus I can only get passed on the left so I don't worry about the right side pass.

We all know it's there and we need to respect it but worring about sucks up your thoughts and is not where you head needs to be.

tommymac
07-22-2006, 05:53 PM
It hurts whenver you crash. As for the wall I ride as close to it as I can. I figure if I'm going to hit it I perfer to upright then sliding into the wall busting limbs with the impact. Sounds strange but it works for me. Plus I can only get passed on the left so I don't worry about the right side pass.

We all know it's there and we need to respect it but worring about sucks up your thoughts and is not where you head needs to be.

On th eeast course I am afraid to pass someone on the right side on the straight, I think they are going to drift towards the wall and wind up hitting me if I try to sneak through. Plus I usualy try to get up near the wall as well when getting onto the straight.

Tom

Bster13
07-22-2006, 06:44 PM
75% of my passes come from turn 4 getting on to the back straight. Big bikes slow down there for some reason, perhaps to get pointed straight as soon as possible for the straight, but I nail the throttle on turn 4 and drift alll the way high up the wall carrying as much momentum as possible going by the bike underneath me, but u're right, the wall can get scary if the bike below u has the same idea. :p

tommymac
07-22-2006, 09:50 PM
75% of my passes come from turn 4 getting on to the back straight. Big bikes slow down there for some reason, perhaps to get pointed straight as soon as possible for the straight, but I nail the throttle on turn 4 and drift alll the way high up the wall carrying as much momentum as possible going by the bike underneath me, but u're right, the wall can get scary if the bike below u has the same idea. :p

If theres no one immediatley in front of me I usualy go out close to the wall, but to pass I may give them some space going into turn one, then get on it so I am at my speed as I get to 4 and get a better drive out and go underneath. If I am on their tail and wait for them to pick a line its tougher to pass, although I did pass matt by going outside by the wall and out breaking him into 5.

Tom

Bster13
07-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I agree, I usually run up on guys exiting T1, but have to lay off to get a running start at them entering the back straight on T4. If I lose my momentun on the SV u can kiss everyone good bye on the straight. :p

lateapex
07-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I used to run a GS500 so I understand. Passing on the right along the wall takes a lot of trust in the rider you are passing and it's good that you don't do it. Passing between 5 and 6 is a good a place too. That section from t1 to t4 is very hard to pass in and it's best to wait for t4 to start to set up your pass.

Bster13
07-24-2006, 01:45 PM
I like outside of 6 where riders don't use the entire track. I make up time lost on the straight, braking for turn 5, but sometimes don't have enough time to pass there on the brakes, so they usually hold of me off until 6. :)

tommymac
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I used to run a GS500 so I understand. Passing on the right along the wall takes a lot of trust in the rider you are passing and it's good that you don't do it. Passing between 5 and 6 is a good a place too. That section from t1 to t4 is very hard to pass in and it's best to wait for t4 to start to set up your pass.

I never realy tried passing bet 5 and 6. I do pass some comming out of the double apex and before the bus stop, but in white thats tricky becasue people go through there all different ways. I will also pass comming out of the bus stop if i can get a good drive out of there. I think i only passed someone in turns 1-4 once and he was going VERY slow so it was prety safe/easy to get by.

Tom

lateapex
07-26-2006, 08:02 AM
I never realy tried passing bet 5 and 6. I do pass some comming out of the double apex and before the bus stop, but in white thats tricky becasue people go through there all different ways. I will also pass comming out of the bus stop if i can get a good drive out of there. I think i only passed someone in turns 1-4 once and he was going VERY slow so it was prety safe/easy to get by.

Tom

I agree before the bus stop is kinda tricky, a lot of differnet lines through there make it difficult. Exit the bus stop is a good place but you have to go in really slow so they don't slow you down mid turn. The pass between 5 and 6 is done up the left side. Go into T5 slower to make a gap between you and the other rider. Turn in later and apex the turn a little bit later so your more to the left side of the track and get on the gas at the apex. Basically give them the entry of the turn but you take the exit.

CBRBob
07-26-2006, 09:02 AM
Shh, you are giving it all away Geo! :)

Bster13
07-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Would this be considered an inside pass being that u're cutting inside a rider after the first apex, but b4 the 2nd? (Unless u don't consider turn 6 a double apex corner...I can't recall if there are two apex cones or not)

lateapex
07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Would this be considered an inside pass being that u're cutting inside a rider after the first apex, but b4 the 2nd? (Unless u don't consider turn 6 a double apex corner...I can't recall if there are two apex cones or not)

If the bike is leaning it's a turn.

Shh, you are giving it all away Geo!
I know but they will still come to us for advice on how to do this and other stuff. Besides I left one piece out :)

Bster13
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
would the last part be on corner exit aim for the inside of the slight kink b4 the bus stop and then drift wide as u brake and setup for the bus stop? :p

CBRBob
07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Thats the normal line